Sesame Street in the UK?

kbug67

Reaction score
Is there any Channels in the UK That shows Sesame Street.

I know that Channel 4 did but that was until 2000 when it
was replaced by the Hoobs :cry:

All we get in the uk is those elmo toys and merchendise but NO SHOW OR DVDS :frown:
Please HELP!

Luke

Reaction score
Elmo's World is on FIVE LIFE i think. Hoobs is just as good as Sesame Street - I've never seen a Sesame Muppet than can dance quite like a HOOB !

jusnic

Reaction score
Sesame Street in the UK

Play With Me Sesame is shown on Playhouse Disney and rumour has it that the Sesame Workshop is working with BBC Northern Ireland on producing an Irish version of Sesame Street that will promote "working together" on both sides of the Northern Irish divide.

Justin.

zozzykid

Reaction score
seasame street is now play with me sesame its on the disney channel on sky

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gee, I didn't think anyone in the U.K. liked Sesame Street.

Beauregard

Reaction score
You make broad speculations about people in the UK, my dear.

I'd wondered myself whether any of the new shows were shown here. It's possible that it was cancelled because each show is quite lengthy. Most shows here are only 5-10 minutes long, for kids that age. I think?

abiraniriba

Reaction score
not from U.K. but part Brit

I'm not from the U.K. but I'm part British and I read somewhere that they cancelled the American version of the show because they were having problems with the spelling of cooky and the name of the last letter of the alphabet zed.

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
We wouldn't cancel a show because of “cookie” being spelt wrong!
Misrepresenting all biscuits as cookies, possibly...

The pronunciation of some letters may have been an issue though – my theory is you can tell whether people of my age grew up watching "Playdays" or "Sesame Street" by whether they say "j-i" and "zed" or "jay" and "zee"

Playhouse Disney is Sky Channel 625 and this shows archive material (including the odd clip with Kermit) as well as new sketches with Kit and Domby and linking material (presumably from the American version) with Ernie, Bert, Grover and Prairie Dawn.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I'm not from the U.K. but I'm part British and I read somewhere that they cancelled the American version of the show because they were having problems with the spelling of cooky and the name of the last letter of the alphabet zed.
It was probably more than that.

I know that there's some different ways of pronoucing things and some things have different names. Fom example, elevators are called Lifts I believe so it's kind of interesting that the US version of SS was even shown there.