Sesame Street in Canada, back in the day

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Is there anyone who lives in Canada who remembers Canadian Sesame Street? It was really reruns of the U.S. Sesame Street, only they added several Canadian themed inserts into the shows. They even had a few of their own Muppet Charachters in some inserts. Their names were Bazil (a polar Bear) Louie (a Chipmunk) and Dodi (an elderly Green Muppet Lady who flew a plane) eventually there was also a girl in a muppet girl in a wheelchair who I can't remember the name of. Well in 1996 something really lame happened. The show was shortened to a half an hour, it was retitled "Sesame Park" and it now had it's own Canadian Co Production, with their own main storylines, their own human cast, their own street set etc. They did however air one U.S. SS muppet insert in each half hour episode. Then I remember a few years later the show got even worse, and was shortened to 15 minutes, all one solid street story, with no inserts whatsoever, American or U.S. Now Canada no longer has it's own co production of Sesame Street. But I really miss the original Canadian Sesame Street a lot. Does anyone else remember this?

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Yeah i used to watch the CBC when i lived in Buffalo.

Basil : Polar bear
Chaos : Kitten
Dodi : Bush pilot, mail carrier, librarian
Katie : The one in the wheelchair
Louis : Otter
Barbara Plum : parody of "The Journal" host Barbara Frum

MrsPepper

Reaction score
By the time Sesame Park rolled around I was old enough to get indignany about the title. Everyone I knew swore up and down that the name was changed because 'streets aren't safe places to play!!' Although technically that's not true (it was changed to be a more uniquely canadian setting, as far as I can gather) noone I know liked it. Sadly I barely remember the old school Canadian Sesame Street.
Do you know if Dodi's name used to be Jodi? I have a friend who is sure of this, but I'd never heard of it before.

superfan

Reaction score
Omigosh, absolutely!! And they had a human cast member...some guy with glasses...would come on every now and again for conflict resolution...?

Aw, and all those French cartoon sketches.
heehee!

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
i loved the french muppets and when CBC would run the fench editions of Polka dot Door

superfan

Reaction score
Now how come I never saw those!!! (Polka Dot Door in french!!)
Must've been extra freaky, then.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
i got a quebec station sometimes ithink it was 65 or something had to use the big attena and it was only on cloady days

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
I do fondly remember the Canadian version of Sesame Street, as it's what I grew up on. Every morning started with The Friendly Giant, followed by The Polka Dot Door. Then Mr. Dressup and then a full hour of Sesame Street.

I was very disillusioned when I read that they were changing to Sesame Park. On the surface it seemed like a good idea, but at the same time, it was sad to know kids would not grow up knowing Big Bird, Oscar, Bob, Gordon, Susan, and the rest of the street cast.

And now of course, it's gone all together. You have to have cable with an American PBS station to get Sesame Street now.

A few years ago, the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Gatinaeu, Quebec had an exhibit of Canadian Children's TV shows. They had an airplane hanging above the entrance with Basil, Louie and Dodie. Plus they had two Fraggles on display(I think it was Red and Mookey). And other famous Canadian icons in kids TV viewing, like Mr. Dressup's tickle trunk and Casey & Finnegan's treehouse. And the Friendly Giant's castle.

Sadly, the exhibit only lasted a few months, but it was nice to walk down memory lane.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
I do fondly remember the Canadian version of Sesame Street, as it's what I grew up on. Every morning started with The Friendly Giant, followed by The Polka Dot Door. Then Mr. Dressup and then a full hour of Sesame Street.

yes sir 6am-9am