Sesame Street Encyclopedia Letter of the Day: B

Thijs

Reaction score
Because the A is such a boring letter on our Encyclopedia, let's take as soon as possible the most busy letter of them all, the B:

We already have these characters:
((c) means the bio is complete, but check it on the site if you can add some facts if you like)

Baby Bear: (c)

Bad Bart: He appeared in season 5, but when did he disappear?

Barkley: The only thing we miss is his 'Most Famous Song'

Beautiful Day Monster: (c)

Benny Rabbit: (c)

Betty Lou: The only thing that's a complete mistery his her appearance and disappearance. I always read that she is a 90s character, but she also appeared in songs like "I Want A Monster To Be My Friend", wich is pretty old I thought. Can anyone solve this mistery?

Biff: When did Biff disappear? It seems he didn't disappear after Hunt's death.

Big Bad Wolf: When was the first time one of the wolves appeared?

Big Bird: (c)

Bill Smith: He appeared in 'The Remembering Game', in a contest with Cookiemonster. Does anybody know in wich season or in wich year this skit aired?

Bruno: (c)

Buster the Horse: (c)

Mamma Bear: We don't know anything about her, only her Family Facts and that she is still on. What's her personality like? In wich year or season did she debut, who performs her, and in wich songs did she appear?

Pappa Bear: see Mamma Bear

These characters are missing so far:
Baabaa Walters
The Baby
Baby Bree Bop A Do
Baby Fats Domino
Baby Honker
Baby Martian
Baby Stella Worm
Bart, Bert's Brother
The Bats: Batty Bat
The Bats: Grisha
The Bats: Misha
The Bats: Sasha
The Bats: Tattiana
The Beetles
Ben
Bernice the Pigeon
Betty Bowl of Plastic Fruits
Billy Idle
Bip Bippadotta
Black Bart
Blue Bird
The Boogie Woogie Sheep
Bo Peep
Brad
The Brave Little Tailor
Bruce Rumpelstiltskin
Bruce Stringbean and the S Street Band
The Busby Twins

If you have a picture of one or more of these characters, post the webaddress in this post, or send it to sesamestreetencyclopedia@hotmail.com

Every help is welcom, greetings from Thijs and a-holiday-havin' Warrick

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Thijs, let's see how we can help you out with the busiest letter of all, the beautiful letter B.

1 Black Bart doesn't exist, that was a misnomer on my part before ssetta, a fellow forumer, set me straight as to his real name as Bad Bart. So you can eliminate that one from your encyclopedia's want list.
2 Ben. He was Sergeant Thursday's partner and voiced by Jim Henson. This character can be seen on a Season 31 episode which starts with Telly, Elmo and Big Bird going to Hooper's Store for a snack and trying to settle on their seating order when Wolfgang the Seal pops in. Elmo then goes on to play a few games with Bob, a boy named Patrick, and Fluffy the Elephant.
3 Biff. Wonder why you should say that he still appears after Richard Hunt's death when Biff was never voiced at least by Hunt. The character belongs to Jerry Nelson's talented and versatile stable of characters.
4 Betty Lou. She is definitely older than from the 1990's, it's just that such was the time when she was re-introduced to the Street. She originally had a yellow hairdo with two braidlike pigtails, a blue bow on top of her head, pink face and arms, and little blue dress (sort of like Prairie Dawn, but more frilly in its design.)
5 The Beetles. These were different from the ones who appeared on TMS in various ways. There were four of them: two on guitar, one on keyboard, and one in the back on drums which featured the team's name/logo. They all kind of looked the same with short-cropped mop top hairdos of pinkish orange hair and wore businessmen suits like the real Beatles. Their most famous songs are these:
Letter B, sung to the tune of Let Her Be.
Hey Food sung with Cookie Monster, sung to the tune of Hey Jude.
Under the Spell of U, don't know which Beatles song was spoofed with this one though.
6 The Bats! Batty Bat is the most recognizable of the bats, all brown with little ping-pong balls for eyes. The type of bat that Batty is like can be seen in the song "The Batty Bat" but Batty appeared in the sketch where the bats went on strike cause they wanted to count just as badly as the Count himself. The other four bats are newer ones from Season 33 and 34 of the show, aired regularly over here on PBS stations. Maybe someone can get you the pics you need. Come to think of it, I could probably get you the pic of the Beetles cause I've got the Letter B sketch on a SS video where the Count hosts a sort of countdown show. And I could get you the pics of the Alphabeats as well. BTW: Are you counting the Alphabeats as a separate group of characters? Someone here on the boards advised me to keep them with Chris and count them all as one group entry.
7 Blue Bird. There's a thread here on MC talking and discussing the character in length, you just have to dig for it.
Hope this helps for now. If I come up with any more, I'll post it here. Have a good day.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmmm... I thought I gave you a Bip Boppadotta picture... I'll see if I can fix that, get you a better one or something...(I labeled it Manah Man ah, if that's the confusion) But that'll wait till September (allong with Scotty McKilt, Giblets VonChickenov and the Monster Clubhouse monsters.)

The bats, I could try to get for you, but they are pretty generic characters, and they are AM animals.

In the meantime, if you need pics of Curly Bear (Baby Bear's sister) you can find one on the New baby video/DVD cover. You can look for it on line... maybe there's a decent full sized pic out there..)

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Tommie said:
I've sent you the pictures from the "born to Add" skit with these characters in it. If you don't have them any more then let me know and i'll resend them to you

Thijs

Reaction score
Hey guys,

-Biff is performed by Jerry, I know that, but Sully was performed by Hunt, and since they are a duo... To make it short: When did Biff disappear?

-Eduardo: who is The Baby?

-we have the Bip pic, but we still dont have him on the site, thats why he was still on the list

-I searched everything but I cant find anymore? if you could send it again we would be very thankfull.

greetings and thanks, Thijs

ps here is the updated list:

Baabaa Walters
Baby Bree Bop A Do
Baby Fats Domino
Baby Martian
Baby Stella Worm
Bart, Bert's Brother
The Bats: Batty Bat
The Bats: Grisha
The Bats: Misha
The Bats: Sasha
The Bats: Tattiana
The Beetles
Ben
Bernice the Pigeon
Betty Bowl of Plastic Fruits
Billy Idle
Blue Bird
The Boogie Woogie Sheep
Bo Peep
Brad
The Brave Little Tailor
Bruce Rumpelstiltskin
The Busby Twins

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thijs, here's what else I can hopefully help you out.

8 Bart, Bert's Brother. This one seems to be stuck in my memory from far ago. Think of what Bert looks like. Now give him a black bushy mustache, then a black beard, and finally a pair of black sideburns connecting those three sets of facial hair acroos his face. Give hima pair of green rounded shades, Keep the pink triangular scarf he wears (if it is a scarf, maybe it's a neckkerchief?) but change his shirt to a medium blue smocklike shirt. Change his pants to jeans and keep the shoes, and give him a pinkish-red or red-violet beret and you've got Bart. He appeared in a sketch where Ernie was painting a portrait of Bert but used his imagination and got the painting mixed up. And when Bert comments on this, Bart pops up in through the apartment window. Not sure if Bart appeared on the show or if this was featured in the Sesame Street Dictionary.
9 Brad, Bert's Nephew. Voiced by Richard Hunt. Think of a smaller version of Bert. Then change his hair to an orange-red color. Not sure if Brad's eyebrows would match in hair color. And he wears what looks like a blue bathrobe, but I could be wrong. Brad appeared in the sketch where Bert had everything for his nephew's bath. And then Ernie shows up, expressing shock at finding no bath toys for Brad's bath. Ernie fills up the tub with toys, Bert screams at Ernie that there's no room for the bath, and Ernie jumps in saying that he didn't want all that water to go to waste.
10 I believe that Biff disappeared around the time of Season 25, but I could be wrong. This was the time that Biff started to show up on the street without the presence of Sully alongside him, cause Biff was being used in sketches with his niece Roxy Marie.
11 Betty Bowl of Plastic Fruits. She can be seen in the "Here Is Your Life" sketch where Guy Smiley goes to the art museum and presents the Painting of a Bowl of Fruit with all the people and instruments helpful in its creation. I think this sketch was shown on the Season 25 episode where Elmo and Big Bird end up playing tag with the words Open, Hot, and Dog, but I could be wrong.
12 The Boogie Woogie Sheep. Ernie's dancing partners in the song "I Dance Myself to Sleep." Think that appeared in the SS video Bedtime Songs & Stories. If so, then I could get you a picture of these as well.
13 The Baby. This was a female AM dressed up as a baby. If memory serves me correctly, she was a lavender female AM and appeared with two backup singers, also babies, in a sort of disco ballroom setting.
She has two "Most Famous Songs" The one that I think I know the title of is "I'm a Baby!" and I think there was another song she sang about the letter M but I don't know the name of that one.
14 Baby Bree Bop A Do. This is one of Roosevelt Franklin's friends, so you're going to have to dig far back into the archives and long enough to find him.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

PS: I'll stick to Palisades and Muppet Central for help for my listing project and to talk to you guys about anything and everything else. Again, have a good night.

Thijs

Reaction score
That list of names is a list of missing characters, so it's mostly used to get pictures of them. But we can use some info ofcourse, for future plans.
Thanks for the help Eduardo

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure thing Thijs, glad to help and ask away for anything else I can help you out with. BTW: What dimensions do you need the photos of characters to be? Just want to know should I take some pics of characters you're missing that I think I might have access to.

PS: Keep your eyes open for ML 8.0 coming this weekend, all that's left is to recalibrate the numbering system and post it when done. There are a few SS additions this time round, not rully that many but that'll change when I start up the research for version 9.0 cause I'm going after all the TV specials.

Thijs

Reaction score
O wow, another Masterlist update. Im looking forward to it.

We need front-face pics of the caracters for the thumbnails. For the bio any pic will do, as long as it's clear and not to small. If you could take pictures of the missing characters, that would be fantastic. Without the help of people like you the SSE wouldn't be so complete as it is now.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Tommy, I can't get you pics of all the missing characters but like I said before, there are a few of them I think I have on VHS or VCD that I could get for your site. Wanted to know the size of the pics/file for when my brother works in shrinking the photos we've taken in his computer before bringing them into mine so that I can then send the appropriate ones to your E-mail. And if you're looking forward to the updates, then keep your sights set on the forums here and over at Palisades cause there are actually two more updates in store before I send out the call for additional help.