Sesame Street Classic Episodes Vol. 1 now available for download on iTunes and Amazon

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's finally here! Fans can now download Classic Sesame Street episodes.

This first volume includes episodes from Seasons 1, 10 and 20. The Sesame Street Flashback is a FREE download for everyone. Ten of the episodes are available here for the first time. Only two of the episodes have been previously released (Episode 1 and 1186).

Help support the cause to ensure that future episodes are released.

Sesame Street Classics, Vol. 1

View and Order on iTunes

The First Sesame Street. Season 1, Episode 1

Released Nov 10, 1969
In this vintage premier, Gordon welcomes us to Sesame Street and introduces the neighbors—human and Muppet; an early-version Cookie Monster disrupts Kermit the Frog’s lecture on the letter "W"; Carol Burnett makes the first celebrity appearance; plus: the debut of the song/game "One of These Things (Is Not Like the Other)."

An Orange Grouch and a Green Grover. Season 1, Episode 56

Released Jan 26, 1970
An orange-colored Oscar demands a baked-bean sundae; Kermit the Frog explains the word "in"; Gospel diva Mahalia Jackson sings "He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands"; Animations of "Solomon Grundy" and "Wanda the Witch" make their debut.

Kermit Croons "Being Green." Season 1, Episode 115

Released Apr 17, 1970
Kermit sings the original "Being Green"; Ernie and Bert perform the classic "Banana Telephone" skit; Muppet Roosevelt Franklin sings "I’m Roosevelt Franklin"; Bob sings and early version of "Who Are the People in Your Neighborhood?" Plus: Cookie Monster eats Ernie’s cookie, and Oscar calls "Dial-a-Grouch."

Here Comes Cookie Monster. Season 1, Episode 123

Released Apr 29, 1970
A feast of vintage Cookie in this episode! A prank on Bert backfires on Cookie and Ernie; Cookie’s call to his mommy ends when he eats the telephone; plus: a classic version of "One of These Things," and a dynamic animated ABC song.

Naming Barkley. Season 10, Episode 1186

Released Nov 27, 1978
Sesame Street names its new Muppet dog "Barkley"; Comedian/pianist Victor Borge demonstrates high notes and low notes; actress Madeline Kahn sing, "Me, Me, Me"; Harry Monster learns "up" and "down" with John-John; Ernie is fooled by a newspaper boy.

Telly Monster Moves In. Season 10, Episode 1257

Released Mar 06, 1979
A TV-addicted Telly Monster moves to Sesame Street; Cookie eats his way through an avalanche as train conductor "Casey McFee"; The Count sings "The Song of the Count"; Kermit reports on Sleeping Beauty for "Sesame Street News"; plus: a Muppet classic- the Harvey Kneeslapper skit.

Grover the Waiter At Your Service. Season 10, Episode 1285

Released Apr 12, 1979
In this favorite, Grover serves up burgers of all sizes; Bert and Ernie ransack their own apartment; Ernie tricks Bert out of a bigger piece of pie; Biff helps Salvador DaDa create a museum; plus: the Twiddlebugs, pinball animation, and a live-action feature about recycling paper.

Disco Snuffy and Big Bird. Season 10, Episode 1261

Released Mar 12, 1979
Big Bird and Snuffy hit the dance floor and groove to a disco version of “Rubber Ducky”; Guy Smiley and Cookie Monster appear in the classic “Beat the Time” skit; Grover sings about the letter “I”; Bob and Big Bird encounter a dragon in New York’s Chinatown; Ernie’s opera singing wakes the neighbors; plus: Harry Monster visits the eye doctor and an animated version of “We All Live in a Capital I.”

Bobby McFerrin Sings the Alphabet. Season 20, Episode 2496

Released Dec 05, 1988
Grammy Award winner Bobby McFerrin sings ABCs with Hoots the Owl; the Two-Headed Monster learns to blow bubbles; Maria and Luis try to reminisce about their wedding; Betty Lou sings the “Amigo” song; “Sesame Street News” correspondent Kermit the Frog reports on London Fog; classic Ernie and Bert leaky faucet skit; Cookie Monster sings about subtraction; Placido Flamingo performs a “Lost Toy Opera” with Big Bird.

Early Elmo. Season 20, Episode 2506

Released Dec 19, 1988
An early Elmo meets Bob’s deaf friend and learns to say "hello" in sign language; a classic skit of Phil Harmonic and Placido Flamingo live from the Nestropolitan Opera; a vintage animation of Gerald’s dog, Sparky, re-imagined as an alligator; The Honkers play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on their noses.

Lena Horne Sings With Grover. Season 20, Episode 2517

Released Jan 03, 1989
Legendary chanteuse Lena Horne and Grover perform a duet about not being shy; “Monsterpiece Theater” presents “Alibaba and the 40 Thieves”; the classic “Plants Need Water” and “The Invention of the Raisin” animations; Placido Flamingo stages a Sesame Street Opera; Kermit the Frog reports on the Three Little Pigs live for “Sesame Street News”; Soap opera spoofs of “All My Children” and “Another School.”

Guy Smiley On Safari. Season 20, Episode 2598

Released Apr 26, 1989
Loud talker Guy Smiley goes on safari and scares off the animals; a classic skit starring Ernie as “Old King Cole”; The Two-Headed Monster sings a lullaby to itself; Snuffy writes a love letter to his grandmother; Mumford’s magic trick accidentally shrinks David; Ernie hosts an arboreal fashion show.

Behind the Street: Vol. 1

Released Jul 10, 2011
Available digitally for the first time, this compendium of "lost footage" offers an exclusive look at Sesame Street in the making, from interviews with the show’s talented creators and cast members to rare footage of Jim Henson, Kevin Clash, and other Muppeteers at work. Plus, pop-up facts deliver little-known tidbits of Sesame Street trivia. Don't miss out on your own private backstage pass to the Street! Available FREE with purchase of the entire season of "Sesame Street Classics: Volume 1."

Sesame Street Flashback

Released Jul 10, 2011
Travel back through time with this bonus highlight reel and enjoy over 40 years of the best-loved and most-remembered skits, songs, and shorts. FREE to everyone.

FUZZYRED

Reaction score
I am very excited but, also feel disapointed because it is not available in Austraila yet. I want to download Telly moves in and Elmo meets deaf person. Does anyone know when?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ehhhh....

somehow this is a VERY big start and I think this is quite brilliant that SW is actually doing something with classic episodes, releasing them digitally.... but I've heard things about iTunes downloads not working properly. And I did try to download a free podcast and not only did it NOT work on my iTunes player, it almost crashed my computer.

Still... this would be an ideal thing to put on their hulu page. Just a couple rotating episodes from each season....

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Help support the cause to ensure that future episodes are released.
Hopefully, if Volume 1 is a success, and if we're lucky, SW would work their way up to getting every episode - especially ones from the first 11 years - released online. Thus finally shutting the bitter, whiny (and sometimes misinformed) 20-40 something year old fans who complain about Sesame Street today up once and for all. Seriously, it's hard for me to watch a whole episode or a segment on Youtube without seeing comments like "Remember when Sesame Street wasn't 'babified' like it is today?", or "This was back when Cookie Monster ATE cookies only" ... gives me a headache every time, considering that these people clearly haven't seen Sesame Street today.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully, if Volume 1 is a success, and if we're lucky, SW would work their way up to getting every episode - especially ones from the first 11 years - released online.
If Sesame Workshop continues this same release schedule, we could potentially be treated to at least 9-10 volumes.

Volume 1 (Seasons 1, 10, 20)
Volume 2 (Seasons 2, 11, 21)
Volume 3 (Seasons 3, 12, 22)
Volume 4 (Seasons 4, 13, 23)
Volume 5 (Seasons 5, 14, 24)
Volume 6 (Seasons 6, 15, 25)
Volume 7 (Seasons 7, 16, 26)
Volume 8 (Seasons 8, 17, 27)
Volume 9 (Seasons 9, 18, 28)
Volume 10 (Season ?, 19, 29)

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, special kudos goes to whoever can help provide us with a more complete list of the skits and songs included in one or more of the above episodes. There are surely some fine gems included in each episode.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Great news for SS fans everywhere! Even though I don't have an i-anything (though my brother does), we all need to support this if we want the more! :smile:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Why does everything good happen while I'm on vacation?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's a free behind-the-scenes thing for those who download the whole thing, which makes me debate on whether to download it all or just a few episodes at a time. Two of the episodes are on the Old School DVDs (and the first episode is on the bonus disc included with 40 Years of Life on the Street, though somebody on Muppet Wiki said that the iTunes release of the first episode is uncut). I clicked the preview for the behind-the-scenes video, which is footage that can be seen on 40 Years of Sunny Days (I wonder if all of it is the bonus behind-the-scenes footage from that release).

I'm thinking if there's a volume 2, it should have one of the multi-part episodes (like the hawaii trip or Big Bird's trip to Camp Echo Rock), some of the episodes everyone knows (Mr. Hooper dies, Snuffy becomes real), and a few random things. Yeah, it'd be more episodes many here have seen many times, but they'd have stuff cut from the Noggin broadcasts.

zns

Reaction score
This an incredible thing. Obviously Sesame Workshop understands how us fans want the old stuff back along with the continuation of the show today.