Sesame Street 4D "Lights, Camera, Imagination"

AAO

Reaction score
:wisdom:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed on here...

In 2002 at Universal Studios in Florida Sesame Street 4D Movie Magic was filmed. It was then released in Universal Studios Japan in Osaksa. I was actually in Japan in April and didn't go... Had other things to do..

I've read the summary of the film and it's pretty cute. BUT I just found out in March 2008 they opened the attraction in San Diego's Sea World. I was in California last year and heard about this. I was wondering if anyone has seen it.

The film was shot in English but dubbed in Japanese when it was put in Japan. I've read that Matt Vogel did Big Bird and someone else did Oscar. I'm wondering if Carroll Spinney perhaps dubbed Big Bird and Oscar's voice once it was released in the U.S.?

Just read that John Tartaglia did Oscar for the filming of this... as well as David Rudman did Cookie.. I'm not sure who did Grover or Bert then.. Maybe Eric Jacobson?

Has anyone been or seen the attraction. I'm sure it's not as wonderful as Muppet Vision 3D here at the DHS, but I love Big Bird and would love to catch a glimpse at this film. It's not on youtube - trust me, I've checked.
Also, Elmo is in it, but by the description of the attraction, he's only apart of the main "finale" sequence.
The show is the cast doing a film festival held by Prarie Dawn...
The projector breaks and they can't show their movies.
They then "imagine" their films.
Grover as a cowboy, firefighter, and then Super Grover...The Movie!
Cookie Monster Vs. The Monster Cookie. Kinda like Godzilla and King Kong...silly
Ernie and Bert go underwater etc.
Oscar's movie is filled with bugs, rain, etc...
But Elmo has "celebration" with balloons etc... Very Elmo like..

If you've seen this let me know!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I remember Karen Prell mentioned she worked on that film. :excited:

AAO

Reaction score
I think it would be interesting though to see this film! I saw one short clip of Ernie in his bathtub and Bert falls in and they end up underwater... Seems like a fun idea.. But I would love to see more!

AAO

Reaction score
Another video showing how they animated it..

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/products/featured_artist_tim_sassoon/

and here's a review of the film:

Sesame Street has gone through many changes over the years, but it has consistently remained one of the best educational programs for kids to watch. Over the last 5 years, much to my dismay, Sesame Street has gone from hand puppets, to a mixture of hand puppets and computer generated puppets. Along with that, the writing has been slipping, and the satire that entertained the adults has gone to kiddie territory, which is fine considering it's a kids' show, but with an attraction like this it's not fine. An amusement park attraction needs to be fun for both kids and adults, and this was kind of fun, I guess, but not one of the better 4-D attractions.

The Sesame Street Muppets were getting ready to make a big movie for the audience (The people going into the theater), but the projector broke. Luckily, Elmo figured they could just use their imagination to make the movie. So what we get is the imagination of Ernie and Bert, Cookie Monster, Telly, Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch and Elmo, and to go along with this, the audience is treated to some cool 3-D tricks, and a whole bunch of water dumped on them, to really give them the feeling of being the Atlantic Ocean I guess.

The 3-D here is really good. There are very few times where you can see 3 images. They come together as one nicely. The pre-show is strictly kiddie fare, so I suggest you only see it if you have a kid with you, if you want to know the plot setup, or if you're a fan of Prarie Dawn, Zoe, Rosita and The Count, because they only appear in the pre-show. The show gets progressively better as it goes along. It starts with this lame song from Big Bird. I would've preferred the Sesame Street theme song, but whatever. The imaginative stories these characters come up with are kind of amusing. Cookie Monster's story of the monster cookie was the best, because of the simple but great sets. The character of Telly seems to be mixed up with Muppet character Gonzo. Gonzo's the one with the chicken fetish doing weird stunts with them, not Telly. I hated the bad music throughout, and would've preferred no soundtrack.

There were a couple of strange jokes here, that just seemed odd to put in Sesame Street. The first is Oscar talking about Bob's septic tank. I didn't realize defecation was an issue on Sesame Street, but I guess I was wrong. The other joke is Oscar talking about being gassy. Again, these two very mild toilet jokes just felt strange. No kid would think twice about them, but I did. Oscar's a pretty raunchy character compared to the rest though, I guess, so it fit with his character.

Overall, this is an entertaining 3-D attraction, but Jim Henson's Muppet Vision 3-D is far superior, as are many other 3-D movies.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Well, whaddaya know...

Someone's posted the attraction up on YouTube finally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNfr9AoJaGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zzCWO4k_oM

...but it's mostly the audio :frown:

Which is because the guy who filmed this had to keep his camera hidden, but we do get some small glimpses of what goes on on the screen.

...and the third (and final part) of the attraction is missing.

That's because, I just read somewhere, the Busch Gardens version has omitted the third part of the attraction (in which each of the Muppets are interviewed by an AM anchorwoman), so what we see after everyone gets out of the theater is commercials for Sesame Place.

But Ernie... OH MY! Sounds like someone else other than Steve

That would be John Tartaglia.