September 24: Celebrating Jim Henson and Steve Whitmire

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Muppet fans know, September 24 is a special day in Muppet history. Not only is it Jim Henson's birthday (he would've been 84 today), it is also Steve Whitmire's birthday who would take over for Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog beginning in 1990 through 2016. In honor of these two wonderful men, celebrate life and the people who make a difference in yours.

In honor of Jim, we're playing Jim Henson's most beloved songs on Muppet Central Radio all-day. Below are links for listening to our Jim Henson musical tribute.

Listen via TorontoCast:

Listen via Tune-In:

Listen via Apple Siri and Apple Music:
"Siri, play Muppet Central Radio."
"Siri, play Muppet Central Radio on TuneIn."

Listen via Amazon Alexa:
"Alexa, play Muppet Central Radio."
"Alexa, play Muppet Central Radio on TuneIn."

Listen via Google Nest and Google Home:
"Play Muppet Central Radio."
"Play Muppet Central Radio on TuneIn."

Promote Muppet Central Radio with this short url:
bit.ly/muppetradio

Join us today in celebrating Jim and Steve and their legacies that will live on for generations.

theSHE124

Reaction score
HAPPY FROG DAY! Post your ribbits[:smile:] to promote awareness to amphibians everywhere. Keep yo hands clean for not just human health, but frogs, too!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I had the great opportunity to meet Steve Whitmire at the Knoxville Fanboy Expo a couple of years ago; he was an incredibly nice guy, and you could really sense his love and passion for his work with the Muppets.

I shot video of his panel (and I apologize for the poor quality, the room was rather dimly-lit, so the quality is really grainy because of it); you can hear me asking about the writers (Jerry Juhl, Jim Lewis, and Joey Mazzarino) partway through the panel:

Grumpo

Reaction score

:smile: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM AND STEVE!:smile:

Today, of all days, i simply have to repost this tribute compilation.
I think Danny Trejo story is really a moving tribute to both Steve and Jim:

Last edited:

C to the J

Reaction score
I grew up hearing/watching their performance of Kermit, and I never get bored doing that.

Sometimes I wonder who'll take the role of Steve's slightly inimitable characters, especially Rizzo. I'm thinking Frankie Cordero, since he performed Wembley a while back.