Rough Times Ahead

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Hey all. I've never done this before, but I'm feeling pretty glum right now. I just found out that my grandma has lung cancer (and has for some time, apparently). It's spread into her lymph nodes and while the doctors try to keep us positive, the outlook doesn't look good.

As if that weren't enough, my brother-in-law had an accident with a circular saw last week. He lost his left ring finger at the first knuckle and we just found out this morning he is in danger of losing his pinkie. We just saw pictures last night; he pretty well mangled that hand.

I don't really know what to think of all this. I've lost my mom's mom and my dad's dad to cancer and now my dad's mom's days seem numbered. I know she has sorely missed her husband (my grandpa) since his death in 1990. In a way, I feel that when she goes she will finally be reunited with him and actually be much happier than she is here. On the other hand, she is a very active and loving person who doesn't deserve the torture that comes with cancer and cancer treatment.

As for my brother-in-law, my wife took it extremely hard when she saw the pictures. Her dad thought it would be a good idea for her to know what she would be seeing before paying him a visit so that it wouldn't be such a shock. She basically just fell apart at the sight of his hand and has been really down ever since the accident happened. If there is a plus side to the whole thing, my brother-in-law has become somewhat of a celebrity in the hospital. Because his pinkie is in such bad shape, he's had to have leeches flown in from New York to have his finger bled every so often. The procedure has never been done in the recent memories of hospital employees, so they all drop by to catch the show when the leeches are applied. It's gross, I know, but at least he's getting some attention.

Well, thanks for letting me rant. My wife's buried her feelings in Harry Potter and my parents are out of town so there was no one else to talk to. I know I'm not the greatest MC user; I'm just a goofy guy who writes a bunch of random posts. I do really enjoy it here, and if there's anyone who can help me through all of this, it's you guys.

That Announcer

Reaction score
That's too bad, Doc. I hope things turn out well in the end.
-TA

Beauregard

Reaction score
You and your family will be in my prayers. That sounds like Rough Times sure are on their way, but I know you'll get through them.

Beau

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Doc. Couple of songs that might help...
Bad Moon Rising, it'll help you see everyone's got troubles.
It's a Long Hard Road... but you'll make it.
There's a Light... Granted, it was at the Frankenfurter castle... But they made it out all right, and I hope you do too.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<HUGS!> It'll be okay, Doc. It will. And remember we are absolutely ALWAYS here to give you some extra hugs. Like this one. <HUG!!!!!!!>

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Wow, that's alot to take on at once. I suppose you'll just thank your lucky starts that your brother-in-law's injury wasn't worse, and that he didn't lost his hand completely.
As for your poor grandma, well, you'll just have to pray for her that she'll fare out okay. :smile: Giant **hugs** for you!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to share these two extremely rough things that have recently happened, Docnzhoss.
(((((((( Docnzhoss ))))))))
You're a wonderful MC user. I've enjoyed talking baseball with you but even better is the consistently nice, freindly, and fun spirited way you are in general. It's great to have you with us. I'll be praying for you and yours too.
And if you like the Bible, let me suggest deriving some comfort from there too. Sometimes I have felt overwhelmed with rough circumstances in life and at times like those it seems like reading a few verses of the Bible won't be of much help. And yet I have found that once I actually do open it, it's amazing how much perspective and comfort I get right away from just one single verse.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I have two updates and they took things from bad to worse (in one day, for crying out loud).

My grandma lost feeling in her legs today. It turns out that a blood clot formed in her spinal column where the anasthesia had been applied for her first operation. She was rushed in and the clot was removed, but the result was not what the doctors had hoped for. So now she can't even get her cancer treatment until this back/legs thing clears up. And to think the torture is only just beginning.

My brother-in-law was obviously in a lot of pain when we saw him. It turns out that during the night his pinkie finger turned white and ice cold. There's no longer even a slight chance that he'll get to keep it. I'm going to find a baseball card I have of Mordecai "Three Fingers" Brown. Brown was a Hall of Fame pitcher who lost one finger and permanently damaged his thumb and pinkie when he got his hand caught in a corn shredder. I thought it could be an inspirational thing. The whole family is taking the accident pretty hard.

This whole weekend has been a pretty big let-down. I've spent a lot of time on the phone with my mom and a lot of time comforting my wife. I'm just glad I have you all to come to when I need a little pick-me-up. Thanks again, everyone!

Ziffel

Reaction score
That's a very nice and special idea you have about the Mordecai Brown baseball card. So sorry of this additional stuff on top of everything, Docnzhoss. I'm glad you have your mom and wife for comforting one another. I have a great relationship with my mom and she's always been a great comfort.