RIP Lou Rawls

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
My all-time favorite singer is gone. That voice- there'll never be another one like it. His talent was so developed, so unique, so wide-ranging- few can compare to it. It's a sad day for the music world.

I was fortunate enough to see him live in concert a few years ago- the Saturday before the September 11th terrorist attacks, in fact. There I was, a lone, 19-year-old white kid in the front row, smiling my face off. What a great night (if I had shared it with a date, it would've been even nicer- I had looked forward to seeing him again on stage as soon as he came back to Detroit).

His episode of TMS was great, too.

Lou Rawls was a class act, one of a dying breed, and a true master of his art. He is missed. My prayers go out to his family.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I feel like a bloomin' idiot. Who's Lou Rawls?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I feel like a bloomin' idiot. Who's Lou Rawls?

He was a famous singer in the 1970's. He appeared on the Second Season of TMS. He was a very talented singer and created some great hits over the years. He will be very missed.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Sadly, Lou Rawls passed away yesterday at the age of 72, after a long bout with cancer. I believe he was the first ever musical guest on Sesame Street, singing his ABC's with a bunch of kids. His appearance was included in one of the very early Noggin/Unpaved episodes.

He was highly respected by his peers. As a teenager he sang in a group with another legend, Sam Cooke. He was one of the few black performers (along with Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding) to be showcased at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival. He hit his peak in the 70's with such smooth ballads as "After the Lovin'" and "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine".

It's almost a natural he'd end up on Sesame Street. He's been a longtime advocate of education and raised millions as a spokesperson for the United Negro College Fund.

I've got a few of your albums, Lou. Thanks for all the grooves. I bet you and Joe Raposo will have a wailing jam session up there.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Thread merge

There were two threads on Lou Rawls' passing so I merged them. Makes it easier to search the forum.