RIP Ernest T. Bass

Al Hempker

Reaction score
Comic Actor, Director Howard Morris Dies

By GARY GENTILE Associated Press Writer
The Associated PressThe Associated Press

LOS ANGELES May 23, 2005 — Comic actor Howard Morris, best known for his portrayal of Ernest T. Bass on the Andy Griffith Show, died at his home in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles. He was 85. Morris died Saturday of natural causes, his son David said Monday.

Morris enjoyed a long and varied career in show business, from being a key player in the acting ensemble of Sid Caesar's "Your Show of Shows" in the 1950s, to his stint on the Griffith Show, to providing voices for dozens of animated characters, including Beetle Bailey and Atom Ant.

He also directed TV shows and films, including the pilot episode of the Mel Brooks series "Get Smart," the Doris Day film "With Six you get Eggroll," and the film version of Woody Allen's "Don't Drink the Water," starring Jackie Gleason.

But it was probably as the love-challenged, poetry-spouting hillbilly on "The Andy Griffith Show" that most people remember Morris. His fan Web site is named for the character that appeared in only a handful of episodes, but made a large impact with viewers.

Morris was born in the Bronx, New York, on Sept. 4, 1919. He served in the entertainment unit of the U.S. Army during World War II, stationed in Hawaii.

After the war, he appeared on stage and enjoyed a brief stint as a Shakespearian actor.

In the 1950s, he joined a comedy sketch group including Carl Reiner and Imogene Coca on several TV variety shows, including "Admiral Broadway Review," "Your Show of Shows" and "Caesar's Hour."

After his work on "The Andy Griffith Show," Morris provided the voices of possums, birds, monkeys, cats and alligators on several animated TV shows. He is credited as the "third buffalo" in a Flintstones episode that aired in 1963.

Also in 1963, Morris played the nebbish character "George P. Hanley" on an episode of "The Twilight Zone" entitled "I Dream of Genie." Hanley, hopelessly inept in social situations, is given one wish by a genie that appears after he rubs a lamp. After considering and rejecting numerous options, Hanley's wish is granted he becomes the genie.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
NOT ERNEST T. BASS!!! I LOVE ERNEST T. BASS!

"Howd'y'do, it's me, it's me, it's Ernest T."

Xerus

Reaction score
I'm gonna miss Howard Morris too. He's been voicing cartoon characters for the longest time. He was.....

Beetle Bailey
Mush Mouse
Mr. Peebles from Magilla Gorilla
Breezly Bruin
Jughead Jones
Big Moose
Half of the cast of Groovie Goolies
Waldo Kitty
Flem from Cow and Chicken
Wade Duck from Garfield and Friends (Which I think was his best performance.)

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah Ernest T. Bass was quite a riot. Interesting how the four or five shows he was in "The Andy Griffith Show" often make the top ten list of fan's favorite episodes. I loved ANY show of "The Andy Griffith Show" with Barney Fife, however. Truly one of the best sitcom actors of all time and one of the best shows of all time. Once Don Knotts left, the show decreased dramatically in laughs (yet was still appealing because of the characters that remained that we had grown to know and love, and because of the appeal of seeing the quiet gentle town of Mayberry. See the latest entry in jumptheshark.com. :wink: ). But Ernest T was so unique, so hilarious, so wild, and so great with all his voices. To have the brilliant and funny beyond words Don Knotts play off him in the same episodes was truly a delicious treat! ("I'm a gonna throw this har brick through that thar window." "Oh no you ain't Ernest T!!!" :big_grin: )