Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like a lot of the people criticizing Dave Chappelle didn't actually watch the Closer special in full, especially the story he tells at the very end about how his trans friend committed suicide after being bullied by people in her own community.
The thing is these idiots just hear what they want to hear and then take it completely out of context. That’s why it led to this.

If anything however Dave made a good point on cancel culture - stuff is only funny if it doesn’t apply to you, but when it does, you get offended over it.

Honestly within the next couple decades Comedy is just gonna be limited to “hur hur cis straight white men hur hur so funny!” out of extremely poor taste and with a huge forced agenda.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Over the past sixty years, the five funniest comedians have also sometimes paid a heavy price for being honest.

1) Lenny Bruce was prosecuted and arrested so many times for obscenity., but he also had a good nose to sniff out the hypocrisy in society. He died broke and strung out on heroin. A year after his death, one court overturned their verdict, and magically, his act wasn’t considered obscene anymore.

George Carlin had a similar battle over “Seven Dirty Words”. But he kept exposing the bull$#|t in society.

Richard Pryor followed a similar path as Carlin. In the late 60s, both were doing clean cut acts, appearing on Ed Sullivan, playing for middle class white audiences and making good money. Then around 1970, both said “I can’t do this anymore “, went underground, and their real comic genius emerged. Pryor was brutally honest about the faults of both black and white people.

Bill Cosby was the polar opposite. He wasn’t political, never cursed, and hit a goldmine talking about his childhood. In the 70s, he was criticized for not cursing like Richard Pryor. So Cosby started cursing (slightly), but it seemed phony.
It was only in recent years he fell from grace, mostly because he wasn’t honest.

Dave Chappelle stands in good company. I watched his special, where he talked about his trans friend Daphne. It seems a shame, the way things are going, comedy is all but dead.
People are too uptight, too sensitive, too politically correct, you can’t joke without someone getting offended.

For anyone who never saw it, on YouTube check out Lenny Bruce - Thank You Mask Man. Animated by Jeff Hale, very Sesame-like. Long before the Simpson, South Park, etc. this broke new ground.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The thing is no matter how “appropriate,” every joke is gonna come off offensive to someone. No two minds think alike. How you respond to that however is on you. The person making the joke isn’t responsible for how you personally perceive it.

That said, I feel like we’re at that point now where we’re just trying too hard to make sure everyone is happy, and if said joke that comes off as “offensive” comes off that way with a person who fits the “oppressed victim” category, then yeah, **** is gonna hit the bag.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Man, Richard Pryor, if only he had found time to tape his Muppet Show episode, we would never have had to deal with the Chris Langham situation. Though, the removal of that episode may be one of the only times where I agree with "cancel culture". Only because Langham was actually convicted in court for his crimes. I still think content like that should just come with a warning instead of being outright removed.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
At least Pryor‘a Sesame bits still exist.
One where he recites the alphabet, and one where he shares strawberries with a kid.
Plus one where he pretends to be three kids with a jump rope.

Another bit shot that day, some kids are playing with toy cars. Pryor really wants to join the fun, but he doesn’t have a car. So he pretends with his hat.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
There's also the one with him demonstrating happy, sad, scared and mad with Luis doing voice over.... eventually losing his **** when he makes him do it too fast.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Man, Richard Pryor, if only he had found time to tape his Muppet Show episode, we would never have had to deal with the Chris Langham situation. Though, the removal of that episode may be one of the only times where I agree with "cancel culture". Only because Langham was actually convicted in court for his crimes. I still think content like that should just come with a warning instead of being outright removed.
I believe Kisscartoon has a digital upload anyway.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
You know, with how it seems shootings this year really arised from complete first world problems, I can’t help but feel like with how high gas prices have gotten that may just evidently turn into some type of petty shooting. 😕

“Suspect killed many because he had to spend 60 dollars on gas.” At this point I can honestly see it happening.

Last edited: