Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

MWoO

Reaction score

Bernie predicted this exact scenario.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Yeah, that was something I was worried about too, long before the election.

Simply out of curiosity @MWoO , @MuppetsRule , and @fuzzygobo , who did you three vote for? Of course you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to but I’ve been kinda curious as to who you went for in the end.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, honest question right now: what's going on with Arizona? The Associated Press has been saying for a couple of nights that Biden has won that state, but nobody else seems to have any information whatsoever about that state, so I really don't know which electoral vote count is currently accurate at this time: 264/214 or 253/213.

MWoO

Reaction score
Okay, honest question right now: what's going on with Arizona? The Associated Press has been saying for a couple of nights that Biden has won that state, but nobody else seems to have any information whatsoever about that state, so I really don't know which electoral vote count is currently accurate at this time: 264/214 or 253/213.
The AP is not the official arbiter of election results. They can call any state they want for any candidate they want, but that doesn't mean it is settled. AZ was called way too soon and many just went with it. Many of these states are so close that recounts can swing things as well. Should we have expected anything else from 2020?

Truth is, nothing is official until the electors vote.

As for who I voted for, I didn't. I live in New York. Truth is my vote would be meaningless regardless of who I voted for. If I voted Biden it would just be another drop in the bucket. If I voted Trump it would futile. Neither of these candidates inspire me to vote. At best I would have voted against Biden, possibly Libertarian (another futile vote).

MWoO

Reaction score
Sooo... Apparently a soft ware glitch caused 6,000 votes for Trump to be counted for Biden in Michigan. 47 counties used this same software.

2020 folks.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Same here. Even if I voted for Trump, it wouldn’t make a difference since New Jersey, like New York, is so entrenched in the Democratic Party. Republicans only have any real sway on the local level, like voting for Mayor. Anything higher, on a county or state level, is overly blue.

There is a possibility Trump won’t win, but it won’t make it easier for Democrats since so many seats were flipped in the House and the Senate.
Biden might win by the narrowest if margins, but not many voted unanimously Democrat for congressional seats.

What does all that mean? AOC will have a huge hurdle trying to pass her Green New Deal, for one.

Two things Democrat’s did wrong this time around.
1) For the last 4 years, they’ve been so busy trying to get rid of Trump, they let a lot of the needs of people they’re supposed to represent go ignored.

2) The notion of taking for granted they’ll always have the Black or Latino vote blew up in their face. The percentage of Latinos who voted for Trump was unheard of.
Do you know what demographic Trump lost the most?
White males.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm leering of Georgia right now. As soon as Biden's numbers surpassed Trump's (and the votes are still being counted), the Secretary of State demanded a recount . . . I've been watching as Trump's number have quickly caught back up to Biden's to the point that they're just about 2,000 votes apart . . . why do I get the feeling as soon as Trump's numbers surpass Biden's, and Georgia flips back to favoring red, they'll change their minds and decide they don't need a recount after all?

It's also funny how all these Republicans are demanding recounts all across the board despite no evidence (so far) of voter fraud, suppression, or any other outside influence, and yet there was plenty of evidence that the 2016 election had been tampered with by outside influences like Russia, but Republicans threw out that evidence, and refused a recount because, "it didn't matter anymore" once Trump got into Office.

1) For the last 4 years, they’ve been so busy trying to get rid of Trump, they let a lot of the needs of people they’re supposed to represent go ignored.
I'll actually go along with you on that. Democrats won the House in 2018 for a reason: so they could start bringing about solutions to the problems that Trump had already caused for the country since he had been elected . . . and instead, they became part of the problem by lowering themselves to his level of petty immaturity. It's been absolutely embarrassing watching Pelosi argue with Trump like a pair of kindergarteners engaged in a battle of, "I know you are, but what am I?"

It's also done nothing to help the overall image of Democrats in America, and in fact, it's kind of played into the stigmas Republicans have been portraying of them for the longest time. In this case, I would say that the Dems had one job to do, and they blew it.

But even now, if Biden wins, I doubt he'll get much done. After all, Obama may have been President, but Republicans controled both House and Senate when he was, and they blocked him at so many passes, that it's a miracle he got done what little he could do for the country.

Old Thunder

Reaction score

2) The notion of taking for granted they’ll always have the Black or Latino vote blew up in their face. The percentage of Latinos who voted for Trump was unheard of.
Do you know what demographic Trump lost the most?
White males.
As much as I genuinely believe that America is better off right now with a Democrat as president than a Republican... this is absolutely true and it’s so disappointing about how our government never fails to fail its citizens.