Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

MWoO

Reaction score
Justified shooting? Maybe. Justified death sentence? no.
Oooo so profound....

Grow up and join the real world where there are real people who seek to harm others and people who make really bad choices and face consequences for those choices. Brooks was shot because he was endangering the lives of those cops and all the people in that parking lot. The shot wasn't even immediately fatal, he died in surgery. Ya know, because those evil cops that shot him for not reason also tried to save his life.

MWoO

Reaction score
It would be wonderful and the entire world was full of innocent well meaning people. It would be wonderful if there was no hate, no violence. It would be wonderful if no one ever broke the law or attacked anyone. However, life is not Fraggle Rock. Fraggle Rock is an ideal, a utopia, where people can work out their differences through pure understanding of each other and magic. Unfortunately this is real life. There are violent people out to harm others. Some wear badges, some drive drunk and steal tasers.

Wanting peace and non-violence is what we all should want, but we also have to recognize that everyone doesn't want that and be ready to deal with those who would do harm.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
he was calmly being arrested and having the cuffs put on when he flipped out
I read speculation about the event that the police may have clapped the cuffs on him maliciously, tighter than it should have been, to intensify the incident. Particularly telling is that he flipped out only when the cuffs were actually being put on him. Up to then everything was civil enough.

On the other hand, from the video I can’t tell if he bolted before or after the cuff was placed on him. Hence I can’t verify this, but can only speculate. It happened too fast.

MWoO

Reaction score
I read speculation about the event that the police may have clapped the cuffs on him maliciously, tighter than it should have been, to intensify the incident. Particularly telling is that he flipped out only when the cuffs were actually being put on him. Up to then everything was civil enough.

On the other hand, from the video I can’t tell if he bolted before or after the cuff was placed on him. Hence I can’t verify this, but can only speculate. It happened too fast.
Speculation from who?

here is the entire body cam footage. It looks like the cop didn't even get the cuffs on him. This was a man who made the decision to run from the cops because he did not want to go back to jail, plain and simple. He had been to jail at least twice before. He was convicted of child endangerment and false imprisonment. He knew a DUI would likely get him max jail time so he tried to run. Being drunk likely didn't help his decision making process.

And even if the cop DID cuff him tightly, that is STILL no excuse to take both cops down, grab a taser, run, and shoot back at the cops with the taser TWICE. But it is very clear that the cuffs barely made contact with his wrist before he bolted. Come on!

It sounds to me like you really don't want the cops to be justified because you have a preconceived notion of cops. I can unequivocally state that the George Floyd incident was murder, plain and simple. Why can you not see that this was clearly a totally different scenario and justified on the side of the cops? It's not racist to admit that black criminals exist. Criminals of all colors and races exist. Stop looking to excuse the behavior of a drunken violent criminal.

MWoO

Reaction score
And just to add, Rayshard Brooks did not deserve a "death sentence". A death sentence is a punishment given to criminals after a dispassionate trial where all evidence is weighed. It is a thought out action made within the legal system. Rayshard was not given a "death sentence". He was shot and later died because the police, who tried every other means of non-lethal force prior to this, were protecting their lives and the lives of the people in that parking lot. He died because of actions he took. Was it deserved? No. There are very few things a human can do to deserve to die. However, given the circumstances, there wasn't really another option.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you really don't want the cops to be justified because you have a preconceived notion of cops. I can unequivocally state that the George Floyd incident was murder, plain and simple. Why can you not see that this was clearly a totally different scenario and justified on the side of the cops? It's not racist to admit that black criminals exist. Criminals of all colors and races exist. Stop looking to excuse the behavior of a drunken violent criminal.
How are you inferring that from my post? All I said was that I read speculation on this. I watched the video to see if that speculation was justified. The speculation, by the way, was based in part from a cop’s own testimony. Unfortunately I do not have the link on hand and may be unable to find it. But regardless, as I said, I watched the footage to see if the speculation was justified. As I stated in my post, I cannot tell if it is. As soon as handcuffs were put on (or in the process of being put on), the man bolts, resulting in choppy footage. Due to this I made no clear statements, solely that I had read speculation on this and could not say for sure that it was warranted or not. That’s all. I also brought up how things seemed civil up until the cuffs came up which led to me thinking it may have been justified speculation. But what happened I cannot say for sure.

I’m glad you explained your position. Thank you for providing background info. From your post I take it that he was a pretty bad dude. I am more than happy to do further research into this situation.

I am not unrealistic. Black criminals obviously exist. I did not say that they don’t. Please point out to me where I said they do. Or is it a case of the following...
My mouth is full from all the words people have been putting in it...
As much as you have an affinity for providing facts, it is hard to take you seriously when you read into things that aren’t there and go off at people for it. Calm down, Mr. Mature. Have some dip.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
If you like something further, I too feel that Gavry was unrealistic when he posted about him “running away” and that he’d received a “death sentence” because they don’t really fit the case well. Still no reason to attack me for something he wrote. You also have a tendency to treat other people who disagree with you as daft, which is disappointing. A weird dynamic where facts don’t care about your feelings, and yet you use both.

MWoO

Reaction score
It's hard to stay calm when people see this situation from so many angles and still think this was just another case of cops murdering unarmed black people, which was the story pushed by most media outlets. It is infuriating when so much primary source footage is available, but the cop is still fired and may still face charges just to quell the masses.

I apologize for reading into your post, but frankly I am tired of seeing US streets be occupied by armed guards and be called a "summer of love" by the mayor. I am tired of seeing yet another riot, this time over something that is so blatantly not "brutality". I am tired of hearing about countless police officers quitting because the country just decided they are all evil. I am tired of watching the country burn and people being totally ok with it, or worse, the media out right pretending like it isn't happening. I am tired of members of a political party that take glee in the country going to **** because it means they might finally get Trump out of office. The ends don't justify the means.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The thing that’s happening now is a lot of cops are quitting. A lot of lower-ranking cops make about 30 grand a year. But they have to think about being shot at, abused by the public, smeared in the press, and thrown under the bus by their mayors and governors.
Bill DeBlasio’s wife commented New York would be Nirvana if the cops weren’t there. This is the mayor’s wife, folks.
Val Demings, Biden’s latest pick for a running mate, suggests “If you’re a black cop, you’re not black”.

There are 800,000 police in this country. If you think they’re all white and all racist, take my glasses. You need them more than I do.