Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Dang, here we go again...
In Atlanta, 27-year-old Richard Brooks was in a Wendy’s parking lot, intoxicated. Cops came, he resisted arrest, grabbed a cop’s taser, the cop fired back and shot him.

Here are the casualties:
Richard Brooks dead.
The Wendy’s burned down.
Both cops fired.
Atlanta chief of police resigns.
Protesters stopping traffic on two Interstate highways.

Standard Operating Procedure for a drunk driver, regardless of color, is to be subjected to a breathalyzer test. Failure to do so, or exceeding the legal limit means getting arrested, taken to the station and put in the drunk tank.
Why? To keep a drunk driver from getting behind the wheel and harming himself and/or somebody else.

Standard procedure for cops accused of any wrongdoing is for an independent investigation to determine whattheir fate would be.

In the case of Derek Chauvin, no question he was wrong. With these Atlanta cops, it’s not so clear. The whole scuffle with Brooks was captured on tape and lasted only twelve seconds.

But the outcome was predictable. The media will label all cops bad, all cops racist, more riots and looting, cops quitting or being fired, and here we are again.

At Wendy’s, if you like your burgers well-done and buns toasted, you’re in luck. However, your Frosties will be melted.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Dang, here we go again...
In Atlanta, 27-year-old Richard Brooks was in a Wendy’s parking lot, intoxicated. Cops came, he resisted arrest, grabbed a cop’s taser, the cop fired back and shot him.

Here are the casualties:
Richard Brooks dead.
The Wendy’s burned down.
Both cops fired.
Atlanta chief of police resigns.
Protesters stopping traffic on two Interstate highways.

Standard Operating Procedure for a drunk driver, regardless of color, is to be subjected to a breathalyzer test. Failure to do so, or exceeding the legal limit means getting arrested, taken to the station and put in the drunk tank.
Why? To keep a drunk driver from getting behind the wheel and harming himself and/or somebody else.

Standard procedure for cops accused of any wrongdoing is for an independent investigation to determine whattheir fate would be.

In the case of Derek Chauvin, no question he was wrong. With these Atlanta cops, it’s not so clear. The whole scuffle with Brooks was captured on tape and lasted only twelve seconds.

But the outcome was predictable. The media will label all cops bad, all cops racist, more riots and looting, cops quitting or being fired, and here we are again.

At Wendy’s, if you like your burgers well-done and buns toasted, you’re in luck. However, your Frosties will be melted.
At first blush, it seems like unlikely need to use deadly force. But I will wait until all information is out. Of course, the media and protesters won't.

But what purpose does burning down the Wendy's serve? What did they do,?

Last edited:

MWoO

Reaction score
At first blush, it seems like unlikely need to for deadly force. But I will wait until all information is out. Of course, the media and protesters won't.

But what purpose does burning down the Wendy's serve? What did they do,?
Because it was there.

Frankly, from the video, I don't really see why they shot the man. Yes, he resisted arrest. Yes, he grabbed their taser. Yes, he shot the taser at them and missed while running away. You still don't shoot someone as they are running from you. Shooting a suspect should only occur when defending your life or the life of another. Also, you don't discharge your weapon in a parking lot with civilians in it.

However, the video also shows how this went from a routine drunk driving issue to a deadly situation that was not escalated by the police. T

Seems they shot at him to slow him or stop him from running. That is not why they have guns. Perhaps if the fitness guidelines were stricter they wouldn't have been in a situation where they got over powered and felt the need to draw their guns. Perhaps the one cop should have tased him sooner while he was still on the ground. Seems they were trying everything they could not to hurt the guy, got fired at by a taser, and reacted.

Either way, once again NOTHING about this says racial discrimination. Rayshard Brooks was obviously in the wrong, obviously drunk, and obviously fighting police for a justified arrest and grabbed a weapon from them. Why did this situation become cause for the Wendy's to burn down?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Too often now cops have their hands tied by mayors, governors, and public perception.
Yes, there have always been overzealous cops who go too far.
Yes, cops have a lot of pressure on them (especially now) to tiptoe through the minefield, do their job without inciting civil unrest. I imagine that must go through every cop’s mind. Not only “Will I come home in one piece?”, but also “Will I have to pull the trigger?”

Brooks’ death could have been avoided. But there was no reason to burn the Wendy’s down. So many businesses like that hire young black people. It helps nobody to loot it or burn it down.
I can see insurance companies in the future selling “Riot Policies”.
I said before, voting for police reform, marching for the victims, I’m with you.
But start looting, rioting or arson, you’re on your own.

MWoO

Reaction score
This video flies in the face of what Black Lives Matters is saying though....

Buff Beaker

Reaction score

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I want to know how a Revolutionary soldier committed genocide. Show me the math involved in reaching that conclusion.
I can understand one side of people saying George Washington and Thomas Jefferson had slaves, so they have to go. But they did a few more good things than just hold slaves.
People want to tear down Christopher Columbus statues.
Columbus did not commit genocide on the natives of Hispaniola. Many died unfortunately from diseases the Europeans brought over. If there was anyone who committed genocide, it was Cortez in Mexico. But I’ll bet you hardly anybody knows that.

Texas was part of the Confederacy at one point. Are we going to have to rename the amusement park Five Flags Over Texas?

Seeing war memorials defaced is wrong. Seeing statues torn down is wrong. I’m not glorifying slavery. I’m not glorifying Jim Crow. I’m not glorifying police brutality. I’m not glorifiying racism. But erasing history and pretending it never existed is wrong. It’s important to remind future generations these things happened. It’s part of our collective history. It is certainly not glorifying the bad things that happened..

MWoO

Reaction score
In the 1700's every Southern man of influence owned slaves. It's not right, but it's how it was. We do not honor the practices of slavery when we honor them, but rather the ideals they set forth that eventually included all people.

However, Jefferson was an abolitionist. He found the idea of slavery to be morally wrong. Those slaves that he did keep were relatively treated well. Obviously that doesn't make enslavement right, but considering the time, Jefferson was ahead of his. He kept families together. He put some slaves through vocational training and then freed them while he was alive. He also freed some slaves via his will after he died. He also tried to write his views on the evils of slavery into the Declaration of Independence, but the choice was to either write it out or halt the revolution before it started. People seem to think the Civil War was some how isolated, but abolitionists like Jefferson started planting the seeds of ending slavery before this country was even a country.

What we are seeing is cancel culture. People being judged by their worst actions regardless of context or what they did to make up for them. I guess they ran out of celebrities and "Karens" to cancel so they have turned on historical figures.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score