Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

Old Thunder

Reaction score
So the better question then is... should the United States abandon the electoral college to become a direct democracy or stick with what we’ve always used? Personally I lean towards keeping it, although there’s good points to be made on both sides of the issue.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
You know he isnt going to respond. I doubt he knows how it works....
Exactly. It's easy to parrot the critism by the left. But it would be nice if the time was taken to actually understand the issues or systems that are being criticized.

MWoO

Reaction score
So the better question then is... should the United States abandon the electoral college to become a direct democracy or stick with what we’ve always used? Personally I lean towards keeping it, although there’s good points to be made on both sides of the issue.
Moving to a direct democracy abandons everything this country was founded on. We would no longer be the United States. Large population areas would totally drown out the rest of the country. Instead of swing states, we would have swing cities. New York City, LA, and Chicago alone have over 12 million people. Mob mentality would rule and only major cities would have the mob needed to rule. Candidates wouldn't care at all about rural areas and laws and policies would be passed that only help densely populated areas. It would honestly be horrendous for our countries set up. There is no good reason I can come up with for going to a direct democracy.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Yeah, why not just throw it out completely? It's only worked for the past 243 years. Now the left doesn't want to look in the mirror to see why they lost the last presidential election so they have to blame something-- the Russians, the Electoral College, white supremists, something else. Just not that Hillary and the Dems ran a lousy campaign and ignored the key middle states like Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, not keen on throwing it out myself, personally. There should always be that second chance before determining who’s getting in.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If the electoral college is a broken system, AOC never would have been elected in the first place. Just on a Congressional level, her jurisdiction (The Bronx and Queens) gave her enough votes to get her elected. So if she wants to buck the very very system that got her into office, then she doesn't need a place in Congress. If she doesn't mind going back to mixing drinks and pulling beer from a tap, she can keep her ignorance to herself.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The electoral college is so broken, it makes the McDonald’s ice cream machine look functional!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing people on Twitter talking about the possibility that Hillary will jump into the race again. Any of you guys heard this? I think it’s stupid and blocks people who are much better for the job from running, but I don’t know if it’s true or not.
A few of the reasons why Hillary lost in 2016:
1) The biggest reason was she was so confident (or smug) she could win swing states like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania without even campaigning there. Trump rallied in those states, she didn't.
2) "Basketful of deplorables" didn't exactly help.
3) She was also expecting to win to be the first woman president. A lot of people did vote for her because she's female, but when asked about what has she actually accomplished, her supporters were left scratching their heads.
4) Again, appealing to the Progressives on the coasts is all fine and good, but not at the expense of the more traditional minded people in the middle of the country.
The "basketful of deplorables" bit her in the a$$. It turned off the farmers, the WalMart shoppers, the truckers, people far removed from the elitist circles she hangs with.

And she's been a sore loser blaming everybody and anybody but herself.
If not Russian collusion, then the Deplorables, electoral college, etc. Lady, it was your defeat. Own it.

MWoO

Reaction score
The electoral college is so broken, it makes the McDonald’s ice cream machine look functional!
Just once I would like you or Dsnowth to explain yourselves without provocation. Back up your statements.