Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just watched her routine and I don't get what people are finding so offensive about it.
Well from what I've seen, people are pretty much agreed that it's the abortion joke and the Sanders jokes. And like I said, I just think a lot of time is being wasted debating a routine that just wasn't all that good.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Building on what I said yesterday, it’s too bad that "Our Cartoon President," which was amazingly well done and much more accepted by the audience, is being overshadowed in the media’s attempt to defend Michelle Wolf’s awkwardness.

By awkward I mean that annoying verbal tick a lot of comedians (even SNL) have developed lately of feeling they have to explain a joke once it’s been told (“Maybe it’s Maybelline, or maybe it’s lies..............it’s probably lies.”). It shows not only insecurity in your own joke, but a condescending attitude toward your audience. To be fair, she was probably realizing at that point the audience wasn't especially on her side.

Bottom line, not only was her routine pointlessly cruel (and therefore no better than Trump and his supporters), it just wasn’t especially funny, especially compared to the competition. The media’s defense is only giving her credit she doesn’t deserve, just to make sure they continue to make Trump look bad. This is why the left gets accused of having Trump on the brain.

Anyway, here's the link to "Our Cartoon President." It's brilliant, do yourself a favor and check it out:
That, "It's probably lies." was right on the comedic beat. The Conway being "stuck" under the three that falls, that was a bit clumsy. I have a few comedian friends with whom I converse about humor and have learned a little bit about the craft. Enough to know that I could never do it! Also, I don't think the dinner and that show are in competition on the public stage. Both can thrive. My concern is that I have Showtime, but never seem to catch it. Something's off about the advertising, promotion and placement of Cartoon President. I should have watched all of the episodes by now, but have only seen one.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I just watched her routine and I don't get what people are finding so offensive about it.
As Dahlia Lithwick of Newsweek & Slate has commented."Consider too that when the President made perfectly heartfelt and serious claims about assaulting women, about a federal judge whose parents were Mexican, and about abusing people following arrest, they were all defended later as jokes. When a comedian does avowedly comic material at a comedic event it is deemed serious. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.”

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That, "It's probably lies." was right on the comedic beat.
That's going to be another agree to disagree moment. Art is subjective to a certain extent of course. :wink:

I have a few comedian friends with whom I converse about humor and have learned a little bit about the craft.
Ditto and I've done comedic roles myself.

Also, I don't think the dinner and that show are in competition on the public stage. Both can thrive.
Can, but they aren't in this case.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When a comedian does avowedly comic material at a comedic event it is deemed serious.
Because it dipped into grandstanding at the expense of humor. Most comedians are not having this problem. SNL has been amazing, the late night comics, this Showtime cartoon. Comedians are not being targeted in general. Wolf is not a victim here.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
CORRECTION, it's Proverbs 19:9. I felt this meme appropriate and succinct. This woman lies daily, yet has spent a lifetime of oppressing others on her chosen spiritual grounds of morality. Meh. I have no sympathy for her.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's far too easy not to have sympathy for her. It's more more difficult, and therefore meaningful, to love your enemy. That's from that Bible thing too.

And you kinda prove my point. The routine wasn't coming from a place of humor, but anger. Anger can be part of humor, but it can't be all of it. I mean Mel Brooks has a lot of anger aimed at the Nazis, but his jokes are eons above "Haha she's so ugly, hope a tree falls on her!"

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It's far too easy not to have sympathy for her. It's more more difficult to love your enemy. That's from that Bible thing too.

And you kinda prove my point. The routine wasn't coming from a place of humor, but anger. Anger can be part of humor, but it can't be all of it. I mean Mel Brooks has a lot of anger aimed at the Nazis, but his jokes are eons above "Haha she's so ugly, hope a tree falls on her!"
I've never once heard that joke, but I'll trust you that it exists in some circles. Anyway, it is she who's fallen short of her chosen teachings (the ones she doesn't follow, yet tries to force other people to follow). I have a chosen code and teachings. Not the Bible because I still believe all religion comes from when people were cavemen and beat each other to death with rocks. It simply gave them a structure and reason to beat each other to death with rocks instead of doing is so liberally. The New Testament was supposed to be different, yet people like her try to go too OT on people. It's shameful and I still have no sympathy for her on the dais. That was her job. The one that she accepted. The one that she's paid for. The one that she fought for over other such qualified candidates. There's not one thing that wasn't true. It was just insensitive. And Hucky Sanders has never shown sympathy toward others different than she is for a moment in public life. I, on the other hand, do every single day. And I'll continue to do it. If she, however, recognized her terrible behavior (not her politics, mind you) and spoke up - I'd be the first person to defend her for that. But sympathy now. NO. She hasn't earned it, nor does it appear that she even wants it. And that Bible. Not my book. Not my rules. I do, however, follow many of its teachings far better than anyone on the religious right. Anyway, kitty time again. Gah. 2 weeks of this. I'm so glad I neither have kids nor pets. It's a lot of work. Particlualy whilst juggling three jobs.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The New Testament was supposed to be different, yet people like her try to go too OT on people.
It is frustrating when Christians forget about the Gospels. It's also frustrating when atheists do the same.

There's not one thing that wasn't true.
It's true that she was "not ready for prom"? :skeptical:

I, on the other hand, do every single day.
He who exalts himself, shall be humbled.

I do, however, follow many of its teachings far better than anyone on the religious right.
Like I've said before, atheists follow the Bible exactly like the religious right, which is the problem.

I'm so glad I neither have kids nor pets. It's a lot of work. Particlualy whilst juggling three jobs.
Oh if you think a cat is high maintenance, try a dog! :sympathy: Three jobs is definitely a challenge though I imagine. The closest I've gotten was grad school at the same time as a full time job.