Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Truth, man, truth. Plus, I'm an aries. I have no patience for passive aggression. I tend to say what I mean. Just gonna employ a little more mindfulness to that. Joke about it if you want, That's cool with me. But just know, I'm actually serious. :smile:

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It also means bluntness. Compassionately so.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Aw, very sweet, great whiskers!

I think I’m especially annoyed because I started out enjoying her routine. The “How broke is he” thing was great! But like I said, the normalizing of abortion will never not be creepy to me. There are a lot of public figures right now making similar comments to her joke, only they are NOT joking. And the left is blissfully praising them, no matter how much they continue to hemmorage supporters. Also, I’ve been plenty angry at Sanders and Conway, but I’m tired of women who aren’t liberal being treated as less than human and open targets. It’s horrifying and most assuredly misogynist. The left thinks it’s not bullying so long as they hide behind “progressivism.” Well, they are wrong.
I can agree with that.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Here's Kathy Griffin's reply to the roast. She was there in the room. Before a bunch of people try to hang her out to dry, I didn't like that stupid photo she did with the ketchup-bloodied, decapitated mask of Trump. It was in poor taste and should have been a pumpkin with Trump's face carved in it with pumpkin guts all dripping down. That's FUNNY! Her photo, however, was grotesque and not okay no matter whom was depicted. She gave a quick apology and later rescinded it (I believe that was a mistake) after Trump was petty enough to put her on the no-fly list and sent his (legal and illegal) goon squad after her. Trump has no place moralizing anybody or anything ever. EVER!!!! Still, you know where I stand on Kathy. Also, she's shrill and all of those things misogynists call women with power greater than their own. I've read her books and met people who've met her. She was best friends with Joan Rivers, a noted republican, and everyone has raved about how really and truly sweet she is. Her act is just that. A way to "punch up" rather than to "punch down" and even everything out. She hits sometimes and misses a lot too. Still, I love her. Particularly her grilling critique of those who thank Jesus for awards and championships, as if he cares who wins those things. Anyway, here are her observations. I mostly agree. There are a few holes, but she makes some great points. Censored Also also made a few that stick wtih me. Here's Kathy's take:

• A) Ok I have some thoughts on @michelleisawolf's act and the reaction to it from members of the press and other DC insiders. For the record, I was in the room last night. @michelleisawolf's set was great. She was hilarious and confident.
  • B) First, @michelleisawolf took no prisoners last night. She roasted Trump, Pence, White House staffers, the media, media personalities. Everyone is focused on Sanders but that was only 1 1/2 minutes of Michelle's act. She went after everyone...as it should be.
  • C) @michelleisawolf was hired to do a roast. That was her job. She wasn't hired to offer media analysis or be fair and balanced. She was hired to poke fun at powerful people. Not once did she punch down. She focused on the people/institutions that are powerful beyond measure
  • D) A comic's job is to go over the line and then push the line and go over it again. Great comics aren't supposed to be safe or careful. That would mean we're not doing our job. By pushing the line we force people to think differently, to ask questions, and disrupt the status quo
  • E) Comics by their nature are anti-establishment. They are charged with the often unenviable task of going after people in power. It's a lot easier to tell jokes about the difference between LA and NYC or cats and dogs.
  • F) Enough with holding everyone else but the President of the United States and his staff to higher standards. This does not mean i don't recognize that investigative journalists at the NYT and WAPO etc are doing their part to expose this administration..what I'm concerned about.
  • G) Is that journalists often say they can't use certain language about Trump because they have to be objective. Fine. But they're willing to use words like "mean" about a comic's act? How is it objective to offer subjective commentary about a comic's joke's about POTUS?
  • H) Trump chooses not to attend the #WHCD - instead the White House said Sarah Sanders was attending in his place. She sat on the dais where the President usually sits. So of course she was going to get some of the toughest jokes, she was Trump's proxy.
  • I) The calls for the @whca and @michelleisawolf to apologize are absurd. They're coming from reporters and many Trumpers. Trump has famously (and he says this himself) never truly apologized because he thinks it makes him look weak.
  • J) And no the apology for the Access Hollywood tape doesn't count because now Trump goes around telling people he doesn't think the voice is his per NYT. So cut the ********.
  • K) Andrea, it was nice to meet you last night and I respect your work as a journalist, but when's the last time you demanded Trump or WH staffers apologize for their horrific statements? When's the last time you demanded Trump apologize for being a birther? (In response to: Andrea Mitchell - Apology is owed to @PressSec and others grossly insulted ny Michelle Wolf at White House Correspondents Assoc dinner which started with uplifting heartfelt speech by @margarettalev - comedian was worst since Imus insulted Clinton’s)
  • L) By the way for the @Scaramucci @dmartosko's of the world please tell me why anyone should apologize when Trump has never apologized for lying for years about Obama's birthplace and then at a press conference took no responsibility for it and lied again.
  • M) I'll tell you what has the media so upset, because @michelleisawolf told the truth about them last night and the role they played in allowing Trump's rise. They hate to be called out on their ********, it's painful..I get it. But she said what needed to be said.
  • N) So journalists are willing to demand that a comic hired to roast people apologize but they aren't willing to demand that Trump or his staff apologize to people? Is that where we're at now? Can someone explain the difference to me?
  • O) This administration (and the reporters who intentionally or indirectly support it) are always demanding that artists apologize. From the Hamilton Cast to me to @michelleisawolf. But they never apologize for anything.
  • P) Also @michelleisawolf never talked about Sanders' appearance, she was talking about her character. But anyone pearl clutching over her comments and demanding she apologize needs to demand that Trump apologize for calling women fat pigs, slobs, talking about their bodies
  • Q) Not to mention, apologize for comments like "blood coming out of her..." - but no they haven't demanded that of him because they're terrified of Trump. Instead, they go after a comic who is paid to make jokes. They go after her instead of a man with real power. Pathetic.
  • R) BS @dmartosko. Sarah was there on the dais as a proxy for the President. That’s how the White House billed It. Michelle couldn’t just focus on just Trump because he was too scared to show up. (In response to: David Martosko- Also, that particular section of the speech was a hit-job on Sarah, not on the president. She has done nothing that even you could construe as a deserving rationale for it.)
  • S) Stop acting like @michelleisawolf showed up at the playground and started making fun of Sarah Sanders in front of her children. Sarah was there representing Trump, on the dais, at an event with a professional comic who was hired to do a roast.

Basically, there's a difference between the news media or an elected official and a comedian hired to roast. BIG difference. Of course there are gonna be some doozies and some misses. Everyone has that. But her's were to be expected. Everyone else in that room, particularly republicans who label liberals as snowflakes, proved to be rather think skinned. Would I have done the same set as Wolf? No. But that's not my field of expertise.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
And this is a picture of the lovely little lap vulture, just snapped on my lap, that ate up my afternoon (along with some canned food and treats...omg, she loves treats). Now, instead of taking care of everybody else and their cats, I gotta take care of me and pay some bills. New economy and all.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just don't consider Wolf's routine to have been a roast. A roast is all in good fun among peers. This was the media/liberals vs Trump. And yes, obviously Trump is the one who didn't show up, and the one who feeds on division. No duh, lol. But the media and Democrats in general have not even tried to rise above the fray. And a lot of their policies and general attitude are the reason we have Trump in the first place. So yeah, I guess I just don't at all consider them our heroes who are going to save us. They are part of the same problem.