Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Ok, people. We KNOW it's gonna happen, and I'm a glutton for punishment, so let's see if we can actually do it this time.

There's only 4 rules here
:
1. Respect each other, no matter how outrageous certain ideas may be to us.

2. Refrain from personalizing comments or taking the views of others personally.

3. Republican, Conservative, GOP, Democrat, Liberal and Progressive are merely descriptions; they are not dirty words and should not be used as such.

4. Ignore and Report members that break these rules. Try not to engage with them. If you do, please graciously refer to the rules here.

I realize that I've sometimes not honored those four notions in the past, a lot of times, to be honest, but I'm committing to do that now. Politics is important. It is us. We should be able to talk about ideas. Those who can't, getouttahere!

All swim...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I probably shouldn't even post this here since I have absolutely nothing respectful to say about either Trump's Michigan rally, nor Michelle Wolf's "comedy" routine at the White House Correspondents dinner. Just how tone deaf and mean spirited is this country going to get?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Ok, people. We KNOW it's gonna happen, and I'm a glutton for punishment, so let's see if we can actually do it this time.

There's only 4 rules here
:
1. Respect each other, no matter how outrageous certain ideas may be to us.

2. Refrain from personalizing comments or taking the views of others personally.

3. Republican, Conservative, GOP, Democrat, Liberal and Progressive are merely descriptions; they are not dirty words and should not be used as such.

4. Ignore and Report members that break these rules. Try not to engage with them. If you do, please graciously refer to the rules here.

I realize that I've sometimes not honored those four notions in the past, a lot of times, to be honest, but I'm committing to do that now. Politics is important. It is us. We should be able to talk about ideas. Those who can't, getouttahere!

All swim...
BOI. WHY.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Well I probably shouldn't even post this here since I have absolutely nothing respectful to say about either Trump's Michigan rally, nor Michelle Wolf's "comedy" routine at the White House Correspondents dinner. Just how tone deaf and mean spirited is this country going to get?
Agreed. I watched wolf's bit and thought it was funny for the most part. It would have been great as a roast on HBO but was too raunchy for a white house correspondents dinner. And there is a fine line between political satire and just outright bullying and I felt she crossed it more than a few times

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And I agree about her joke about abortion. "If you haven't tried it then don't knock it?" How does the murdering of innocent children become funny?
I want to be clear, anything can be funny. South Park has made abortion jokes quite successfully. Michelle Wolf is no South Park, lol.

And you know, if the right is guilty of normalizing racism, the left is guilty of normalizing something just as ugly.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean, to me.

There's a difference between black comedy humor and just straight up trying to be offensive in a bad way (the black comedy thing in the case of shows like South Park or Family Guy).

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I LOOOOOOOVED Wolf's roast. Maybe I see things in a different perspective, but I feel she roasted everybody. The liars. the republicans, the democrats, the press, Fox News (that isn't really the press), The Pro Lifers, the Pro Choicers (I wasn't keen on all of her jabs, but listen carefully and she did a bit), and the bumbling megalomaniac that is our president. I thought it was a fair assessment. Those in politics and media who couldn't take the joke just seem weak to me. There's no crying in politics! What struck me the most was the how she criticized the works of Conway and Huck-Sanders instead of their looks. And, of course, held them accountable for their daily lies - and called them LIES, unlike our milquetoast media that's still working off an extinct style guide. This isn't the roast that America wanted but it IS the roast that America needed = a wake up call for ALL of us!!! As far as what is and is not called for or proper at this dinner, I don't believe that anyone who voted for foul-mouthed Trump has room to talk. Not at all. Not mad at y'all. Just putting things in perspective. The fish smells from the head. This is where we are. I hope that NOW we go to a better place than the gutter. No matter what your politics, we are living in a gutter Presidency. We need to be better. The first step to that is admitting where we are and that's what this roast did. And it was a roast. That's what roasts are.

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ehhhhh, she said Sanders was finally ready for prom and then made fun of her makeup. As a woman, I found it catty and disgusting.

This wasn’t a roast. It was an attack at the enemy. No better than Trump. And I’m done with both. Both parties can do without my vote and all the news networks can do without my ratings. That is the only wake up call I had. I’m at least glad that so many Americans seem to agree on this one. The media, the politicians, they’re all far too extreme and angry to serve us at this point. The country is still good. Our leaders and our media are not. And yes, on both sides.

And why didn’t they bring in someone from SNL???? Their Trump satire has been brilliant, and not so tacky and cruel. Two of them are going to be hosting the next Emmys. How did the Emmys end up having more sense than the White House Correspondents Dinner??? Lol!

Last edited: