Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
For clarification I don’t believe anyone looked good in this situation personally. Truth is I try not to jump into the “he got off lucky cause of his race” card cause I think that’s too easy to dive into, but it is a case where with past situations like this it didn’t come off as surprising and that’s why many people are frustrated. My overall opinion is even in self-defense it should still count as murder. I’m not saying lifetime consequences but consequences should follow if you take someone’s life away.

That also being said I agree it is also easy for news networks to spin stories, especially with networks like CNN and MSNBC.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I mean there is literally a way to dismantle someone holding a gun. I’ve done it before out of practice. It requires a lot of timing and strategy though. You can also go hand to hand if someone is hitting you on the skateboard. Give them a trip on the legs and pull them to the ground. And as for the first one, if someone makes a threat like that you can easily record them cause then you have evidence to use against you. People can be all talk and no bite like that.

My point with my initial post was showing the racial biases how one race has gotten away while another still gets consequences. That’s why I showed the literal video of a black man turning himself for shooting his wife from self-defense when she came at him with a knife during an argument.
And just yesterday, the same day Kyle Rittenhouse was found not guilty because of self-defense, a black man, Andrew Coffee IV, in Florida was found not guilty as well because of self defense. Every case is unique and specific and needs to be addressed as such. I know the media and the race baiters want you to believe the not guilty verdict was because of race but its simply not true.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
My overall opinion is even in self-defense it should still count as murder. I’m not saying lifetime consequences but consequences should follow if you take someone’s life
That is a very unique perspective. Gives a perpetrator free license to do whatever they please without the victim being able to fight back under any circumstances.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
And just yesterday, the same day Kyle Rittenhouse was found not guilty because of self-defense, a black man, Andrew Coffee IV, in Florida was found not guilty as well because of self defense. Every case is unique and specific and needs to be addressed as such. I know the media and the race baiters want you to believe the not guilty verdict was because of race but its simply not true.
While that is a step up even though I feel both should face some consequences, it’s not exactly common either that this happens. Some of my friends of Caribbean/African descent I know personally have said themselves they feel the system has a bias to them.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
While that is a step up even though I feel both should face some consequences, it’s not exactly common either that this happens. Some of my friends of Caribbean/African descent I know personally have said themselves they feel the system has a bias to them.
Oh, there is no doubt that the system is biased and there are racial inequities. Particularly in terms of sentencing. But to make every case about race only waters down the argument to it being meaningless. Every case needs to be judged on it's own merits.

The Kyle Rittenhouse case was not about race whatsoever other than it happened at protests regarding the shooting of a black man by police officers. But it was a white person who shot three other white people. It's very doubtful given their backgrounds that they were even there to protest the police shooting at all. They were more likely there to participate in a riot. The jury and the system got this one right based on the law and the evidence. Now I'm not saying Kyle Rittenhouse was innocent, he shouldn't have been there in the first place. But he definitely was not guilty. But to say he got off because he was white as the left claims is simply wrong.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
And just a quick note. I really appreciate your take on things. Not only do I enjoy someone else's perspective but you are always willing to engage in a conversation on issues and can support your view with facts or links and not just memes. The tribalism in our world today is going to be our doom. It is only through having honest and open conversations that anything is going to get fixed.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Bill Maher interview

I thought this was a great interview with Chris Christie and Mayor Elect of NYC Eric Adams. One a Republican and one a Democrat. I've been saying this for a longtime - we need more politicians that are centrist and less tribalistic politicians. Based on just this interview I would vote for either guy.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Come Monday, the ladies on The View will have their hair on fire. Whoopi and Joy Behar will be beside themselves with rage. I wonder how much of the trial they actually watched.

it wouldn’t be easy for me just to give Kyle a free pass. But when you’re grilled by the prosecutor and smeared in the media, I don’t think those were crocodile tears. If he really had intent to kill, he might not have shown any remorse at all.

I served on four juries, and no case is ever open and shut. There’s a lot of deliberation that goes on before you reach a verdict, and it’s not as easy as it seems. One case in particular, we as a jury wracked our brains for three days whether our decision was right.

Not every court case has the drama or media attention as this one. Not every case has the judge screaming at the attorneys. The judicial system will never be perfect, but it does work extremely well.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Oh, there is no doubt that the system is biased and there are racial inequities. Particularly in terms of sentencing. But to make every case about race only waters down the argument to it being meaningless. Every case needs to be judged on it's own merits.

The Kyle Rittenhouse case was not about race whatsoever other than it happened at protests regarding the shooting of a black man by police officers. But it was a white person who shot three other white people. It's very doubtful given their backgrounds that they were even there to protest the police shooting at all. They were more likely there to participate in a riot. The jury and the system got this one right based on the law and the evidence. Now I'm not saying Kyle Rittenhouse was innocent, he shouldn't have been there in the first place. But he definitely was not guilty. But to say he got off because he was white as the left claims is simply wrong.
I feel the main issue with that however is it is easy to believe not just with the biases in the system but everywhere in this country. Truth is being Caucasian is easier than being a person of color in this country. I’m saying this as someone who’s taken the time to hear stories from people on social media and my own friends of color. It is definitely wrong to make that assumption I agree, but at the same time it can come off predictable due to the biases that pretty much exist everywhere.

And just a quick note. I really appreciate your take on things. Not only do I enjoy someone else's perspective but you are always willing to engage in a conversation on issues and can support your view with facts or links and not just memes. The tribalism in our world today is going to be our doom. It is only through having honest and open conversations that anything is going to get fixed.
I’m always willing to have a civil discussion usually if spoken to first. I’m really not someone who honestly likes talking about my political views with a lot of people as a free-thinking liberal, cause truth is people think different things and feel completely entitled to it, and half the time minds don’t change anyway. I’m the same way. I find doing research on my own helps me learn better.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
@fuzzygobo The View is just an extremely biased left-leaning liberal news network and they don’t even try to hide it. They pretty much shamed Kim Klacick for choosing to be Republican as a black woman and even tried playing the “I have black supporters!” card on her when she called out Joy for portraying black face. And then they just keep interrupting her when she tries to talk knowing she doesn’t match to their agenda.