Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean if people actually paid attention to his platform during the election, they'd see how far more right-leaning he really is.

Then again, it wasn't the people who wanted him, it was the DNC . . . just like with Hillary in 2016.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean people only wanted the guy because he was Obama’s VP 🤷🏿‍♂️

That’s basically how much the left was p3nis riding the guy.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Wait, so President Biden is far right leaning now? When did this happen?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean I (and Snowth for that matter) have brought that up before (and I’ve mentioned some of my own dislikes for Biden).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still think Bloomberg would've been the ideal Democratic nominee. I know people hated him simply because he's also wealthy (then again, what politician isn't), so some saw him as blue version of Trump because of it . . . but unlike Trump, at least Bloomberg actually gave back with his wealth, and even had the guts to acknowledge when a policy of his was a failure or a mistake (i.e. Stop and Frisk) and made efforts to either reverse the policy or fix it to where it actually works for the betterment of the people . . . not to mention, I felt like when it came time for the debates, he would've stood a better chance going up against Trump than Biden.

Bernie still would've been good too, but he was clearly way too progressive for the DNC's liking.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Bloomberg only acknowledged that Stop and Frisk was a mistake because of the backlash. And he also had his controversies regarding the NDAs on top of having next-to-no personality.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The DNC has a clear beef with Bernie; he got screwed over by them twice in favor of a woman married to a sex offender and a guy who was the VP of the first African-American president

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This kind of puts into perspective something that some in this thread, particularly fuzzygobo, are quick to jump on when it comes to discussing more liberal/progressive points of view:

Granted, this is more specifically about the workforce in the COVID era, but it can also apply to the workforce in general: it's not so much that people don't want to work, they just want better pay, which conservatism won't ever offer.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Well, here’s the angle from someone who has worked just about every restaurant angle except bar tending.
Even before Covid, the restaurant industry is very competitive and it’s extremely difficult to make a profit. It’s not like owners are sitting on a stack of money and paying the staff minimum wage. A restaurant is doing well if it has a profit margin of 3%. That means for every dollar that comes in, there’s 97 cents in expenses.
Here’s the problem with the $15 minimum wage (five years ago I was making more than that at a high-end restaurant, because I had twenty years experience).
$15 an hour would not be sustainable at your local fast food joint. If you have a staff of ten wanting $15 an hour, you’re going to have to let two go. So the remaking eight might get more money, but they’re doing more work.

The pandemic crippled a lot of restaurants, especially in New York. It is true many had to rely on unemployment. But it’s a negative incentive to get paid more to stay home than to work. But Unemployment expires after six months.
I’ll be the first to admit working in a restaurant is hard work. Operative word, WORK. The hours are long, it’s hot in the kitchen, it’s dirty, it’s backbreaking, but for many years, I loved what I did. When a customer says they liked my food that made it worth the effort. I made a good living at it because I stuck it out long enough and worked my a$$ off.

There may be restaurant owners that exploit their workers or underpay them. But at least three of my bosses treated me extremely well, and I stayed loyal for many years. Not everybody is cut out to work in a restaurant, but the industry served me well.