Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

MWoO

Reaction score
The issue isn’t how many it happens, but more WHY it’s happening.
Because some people are bad and bad people will do bad things. You will never stop ALL bad things. Lessening the amount 9f occurances is the only thing society can do.

How often things happen is very much the entire issue!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
People cheat on each other.
People drive drunk.
People OD on drugs.

Nobody in society seems to question how often these things happen.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
That retarded orange mother fvcking as shole is already holding a campaign rally for 2024, and spreading the exact same bullsh!t lies that he's been sh!tting for the past six years!

I’m sure his poor diet of fast food will probably catch up to him before 2024.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
None of it should be normalized though and taken more seriously.

Did you read the article I posted? Is it really all that normalized though? In 2019 the number of black people killed by police was 27. When surveyed, over 44% of liberals guessed the number of blacks killed was between 1000 and 10000 whereas 20 percent of conservatives estimated the same. That's way way way out of whack with reality.

The majority of respondents in each political spectrum believed that police killed unarmed black men at an exponentially higher rate than in reality as well. Over 80 percent of liberals guessed at least 100 unarmed black men were killed compared to 66 percent of moderates and 54 percent of conservatives.

The second question asked how many of those killed by police were black compared to white? In reality it is 25% but liberals guessed 58% while conservatives guess 41%.

So why is perception so out of whack with reality? The article touches on that.

These findings are hardly surprising. The media has the power to shape perceptions — and when they consistently prejudge, distort and exclusively focus on high-profile cases involving white police officers and black suspects (such as Jacob Blake most recently), it creates an illusion of pervasive police violence perpetrated toward African Americans.​
Meanwhile, unarmed white people killed by cops in highly questionable circumstances while reaching for their license during a traffic stop (mistaken for a gun), failing to raise their hands upon police request, lying face down on the ground, or being suffocated to death by wildly excessive force, are ignored by the media. Consequently, the public likely perceives this problem to be almost nonexistent.​
Moreover, the number of searches for blacks killed by cops is 9 times more than the search for whites killed by cops.

The media has tremendous power to shape our perception. They feed in to this misperception because it's good for business. It creates ratings. Which in turn creates higher advertising rates. And politicians profit off of this as well. This misperception is good for votes for the liberals.

So you are correct it is not just about the numbers. But we have to be able to trust those numbers in the first place.

Oh, and in case you were wondering (which I doubt) the number of police officers that died during the line of duty in 2019 was 89. 41 died in accidents and 48 died as a result of a felonious act.

FBI Statistics

So the number of LEOs killed was more than triple that of number of blacks. But somehow this doesn't make the national news. Talk about normalizing deaths.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I did read the article. Even if the numbers may be small, the issue is the racial profiling behind many of these police killings. It’s very easy for black people to be stopped from what they’re doing because of the color of their skin, and many instances lead to death, armed or unarmed. The truth is cops (not ALL cops, mind you) but cops as a general group have a clear racial bias with black people. As I said before, a good friend of mine (who is also black) and his brother were both profiled and stopped from driving by a cop back in October. He even posted about the incident when it happened on his Facebook page so people can know this is an issue going on in this country.

This alone is a good example:

For clarification by the way I am against police deaths just as much, especially if they were never using excessive force. And yes I do think they should be reported on just as much, I agree. I do understand being a cop is a tough job because you’re putting your life at risk every day with criminals they have to do with. Still, there are also a good portion of cops who think they’re above the law and take complete advantage of it.

I do also want to mention I’m against Caucasian deaths with police as well and, again, that should also be reported on. What I don’t like is when it’s just used as a defense mechanism to divert away from a current situation going on (and this is often an issue I see with black deaths).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Also for clarification:

None of it should be normalized though and taken more seriously.
This comment was in reference to what fuzzy wrote with drug ODs, drunk driving and cheating. I also speak as someone who’s dealt with two (now former) friends who both have had drug and alcohol problems.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It seems there are problems that need to be fixed on both sides.
Police should not abuse their authority, and by the same token, people should respect the police more.
Ten years ago tru tv used to show countless hours of wild police chases, dumb crooks, etc. of situations that quickly escalated when they didn’t need to.

A driver might be pulled over for a broken taillight, and then take off because he doesn’t want the cops to find out he has no license or insurance. In which case, you have no business being behind the wheel at all. So what could have been a minor infraction turns into a more serious charge.
In many of these videos, the offenders were equally black and white, so it’s hard to call it profiling.
It’s the same thing if you’re in court. I’ve been to traffic court a few times- yes, I’ve had a few speeding tickets, ran a red light once, and had a busted light. I’ve dealt with black and white cops, and by and large, they dealt with me fairly. I never gave them an attitude, always showed respect, always complied with their orders.
I still had to pay my fines, and even in court, judges and prosecutors are inclined to give you a break just for showing them respect. It’s not that hard.
However, if you give the judge an attitude and mouth off to him, that’s contempt of court, and what could’ve been a fifty dollar ticket becomes five hundred.
It was my stupidity that got me the tickets, but I was always smart enough not to make enemies with the judge.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, if you’re going to purposely avoid the police via a chase then you’re an idiot. I mean I get scared myself whenever I see the lights flashing behind me (so far in my life I’ve been pulled over a number of seven times, 2019 being the most I’ve been stopped), but it’s not worth having to pay much worse consequences because you refused to be an adult and pull off to the side of the road. And driving without a license or insurance is one of the worst ways you can pretty much **** yourself over.

This woman alone is a perfect example of an instance I side much more with the cop, especially since he was being very reasonable and she just continued mouthing off at him, even trying to play the race card at one point: