Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
SJWs and the like tend to rant about white privilege, as if white people have a monopoly on that.
They never mention Asian privilege. Asians tend to be the most successful demographic in this country. That might earn them the privilege of earning higher incomes and living in better neighborhoods. But it stems from Asians stressing the importance of education, the value of working hard, and keeping the family together. And not falling back on claiming to be a victim.
Even back in my school days, we had a number of students from China and India. Their families stressed the importance of good grades, having a strong work ethic, not getting in trouble, and those values paid off for them.
Privileges are not rights. They are earned, and they can be taken away. Just like your driver’s license. You don’t have a right to drive, it’s a privilege. And if you rack up too many tickets or accidents, you can lose your privileges.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
For clarification: white privilege doesn’t mean nothing bad ever happens to you or you have nothing to worry about.

For instance: I’m white and have a learning disability, my address has been leaked on the internet once, I have chronic depression and anxiety, I have struggled with suicidal thoughts, I was a target of bullying constantly in my local public schools to the point I had to transfer, I was lucky enough to even finish high school successfully because a required test I had to take (MCAS) I just BARELY passed with in science (the score is 220 or higher; I got 220), I can go on and on. With that said, Caucasian folks unfortunately are less at risk of getting killed by police or made fun of for the color of their skin or being let off the hook for a crime they may have committed, etc.

Being white unfortunately gives an unfair advantage because, well, that race is glorified. With that said, if you at least acknowledge you have the privilege but don’t let it determine who you are, then big props for that.

Again, it doesn’t mean you’re automatically immune from bad stuff happening to you, nor does being white mean you’re automatically racist or a bad person Everyone has their unfortunate situations. Some just have even worse situations happening to them over something that’s out of their control. A good example alone is the fact that a good black friend of mine from college and his brother were both recently racially profiled by the police simply for their skin color.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I hadn't really checked this little thread that I began, what seems like centuries ago, until ten minutes ago. I left to focus on other things. In most of my life, I can create a meaningful dialog with people. I always have had a knack for that. It's not about changing minds, but about mutual respect. I felt that would be the same here, but I don't see that (at least not for myself). This isn't about an individual or mindset. It's about the outlet.

Covid quarantine has taught me that social media can be the worst place to have serious discussions. It all becomes a brushfire of anguish and rage that festers and grows and gives off toxic smoke to all around it. I have found this to be the case in other social media outlets too. There is little knowledge to be gained or satisfaction to be had.

I do not believe in curating one's information, but I do believe in discarding unhelpful things. I shut out most broadcast news, I have three subscriptions to papers of record (even with my progressive viewpoint, that includes the Murdoch owned, conservative leaning WSJ) and I expose myself to different thinking people often.

As for social media, I don't curate content, but I do curate people. It's not about partisanship. It is about character. It's about integrity and level headedness. There is something to be said about apples and bunches.

Last March, I had about 800 Facebook friends and a hectic working life. As the quarentine lengthened, I realized that having some of these people on my phone every minute of every day, whether or not I checked my feed, was like inviting them into my livingroom. Social media became most of our primary form of communication. I weeded out over half of those angry people, from all political persuasions (that was the greatest surprise), and changed my criteria for accepting new people into my life.

How does this person, this experience, make my world bigger and my day brighter? I don't mean comfortable or to have my beliefs regurgitated back at me. Comfort doesn't help us grow. It often makes our life experience smaller. I mean - what value will I reap from this investment? I wake daily now to nearly three thousand people, mostly artists, and the most beautiful variety of artwork from around the world. This time, inspiration grew like wildfire. It's changed everything. The lesson is that pruning one's garden is what makes it grow. What we put out is what he get back, and then some.

I feel that, ultimately, this thread isn't helpful. That isn't an accusation of disdain for any person here. I just see nothing being accomplished except for a dozen people fighting, sometimes getting ugly at each other, and digging in their heels instead of learning from new experiences or new information provided. I was once a party to that. It's the nature of this format. I don't know if that's the same feeling you get here or not. It's an individual decision. I just hope all of you guys find a path to greater peace of mind than what this looks like - whatever that may be. It might be here. I might be wrong. This might do it for you. I'm saying this, as the thread starter, that it doesn't for me. I feel a responsibility to provide that. My experiment, as far as I see it, fizzled. It's not a terrible thing. It's how we learn. It might not be a failure to you and I can respect that.

This is likely my final post here, in this thread and at Muppet Central. I'll be mostly on Facebook. It can be a terribly toxic place, but I figured out the ways around it that work for me - that challenge me daily, brings joy and connection, and makes my world bigger. Everything has its time and season. Maybe other people get a value and a joy here that I do not. If you do, by all means follow it with passion.

Deep love and gratitude,
:embarrassed::smile::wink:
Jamie

Frog Bless and Happy Holidays coming up to all.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
No, I’ve had my share of obstacles, and had nothing to do with the color of my skin. Diabetes is color blind. And Blacks, Hispanics and Whites suffer equally.
I’ve had a number of other health issues, but privilege never made me immune from them, nor do I feel like a victim. Things happened over the course of my life- even losing sight in my right eye, and I take ownership for all of them, good and bad.

And like you, I’ve dealt with anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts too (none of them are much fun). But you don’t have to define your life by them.
Operative words: You Don’t HAVE To.

Because I’ve gone through what many have gone through, that gives me compassion and understanding I couldn’t get on my own.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I hadn't really checked this little thread that I began, what seems like centuries ago, until ten minutes ago. I left to focus on other things. In most of my life, I can create a meaningful dialog with people. I always have had a knack for that. It's not about changing minds, but about mutual respect. I felt that would be the same here, but I don't see that (at least not for myself). This isn't about an individual or mindset. It's about the outlet.

Covid quarantine has taught me that social media can be the worst place to have serious discussions. It all becomes a brushfire of anguish and rage that festers and grows and gives off toxic smoke to all around it. I have found this to be the case in other social media outlets too. There is little knowledge to be gained or satisfaction to be had.

I do not believe in curating one's information, but I do believe in discarding unhelpful things. I shut out most broadcast news, I have three subscriptions to papers of record (even with my progressive viewpoint, that includes the Murdoch owned, conservative leaning WSJ) and I expose myself to different thinking people often.

As for social media, I don't curate content, but I do curate people. It's not about partisanship. It is about character. It's about integrity and level headedness. There is something to be said about apples and bunches.

Last March, I had about 800 Facebook friends and a hectic working life. As the quarentine lengthened, I realized that having some of these people on my phone every minute of every day, whether or not I checked my feed, was like inviting them into my livingroom. Social media became most of our primary form of communication. I weeded out over half of those angry people, from all political persuasions (that was the greatest surprise), and changed my criteria for accepting new people into my life.

How does this person, this experience, make my world bigger and my day brighter? I don't mean comfortable or to have my beliefs regurgitated back at me. Comfort doesn't help us grow. It often makes our life experience smaller. I mean - what value will I reap from this investment? I wake daily now to nearly three thousand people, mostly artists, and the most beautiful variety of artwork from around the world. This time, inspiration grew like wildfire. It's changed everything. The lesson is that pruning one's garden is what makes it grow. What we put out is what he get back, and then some.

I feel that, ultimately, this thread isn't helpful. That isn't an accusation of disdain for any person here. I just see nothing being accomplished except for a dozen people fighting, sometimes getting ugly at each other, and digging in their heels instead of learning from new experiences or new information provided. I was once a party to that. It's the nature of this format. I don't know if that's the same feeling you get here or not. It's an individual decision. I just hope all of you guys find a path to greater peace of mind than what this looks like - whatever that may be. It might be here. I might be wrong. This might do it for you. I'm saying this, as the thread starter, that it doesn't for me. I feel a responsibility to provide that. My experiment, as far as I see it, fizzled. It's not a terrible thing. It's how we learn. It might not be a failure to you and I can respect that.

This is likely my final post here, in this thread and at Muppet Central. I'll be mostly on Facebook. It can be a terribly toxic place, but I figured out the ways around it that work for me - that challenge me daily, brings joy and connection, and makes my world bigger. Everything has its time and season. Maybe other people get a value and a joy here that I do not. If you do, by all means follow it with passion.

Deep love and gratitude,
Jamie

I don’t think what you started here was a bad thing or an exercise in futility. I’m always open the even and open exchange of views different from mine. If it’s grounded in mutual respect, like you said, we can grow.

I don’t like coming on to start a screaming match, or to stir up the pot. I stay off social media precisely for those reasons. Sometimes Facebook is a toxic dumpster fire, and I can’t stand the fumes.

If this is your last post, take solace in knowing it wasn’t a waste of time.

All the best-
Brian the Old Fuzzy One

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score

Deep love and gratitude,
Jamie

Welcome back!

D'Snowth

Reaction score

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Speaking of SNL - I guess we can expect that show to die soon now that Trump has lost this election? :search: perhaps the same could be said for Steve Colbert.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I doubt it. SNL is an equal opportunity offender, conservatives just don't ever see that, because they have no sense of humor, and feel like their making fun of Trump is them being a bunch of meanie pants. It's like they completely forgot about the 2008 election, when SNL made fun of Obama, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Biden, Al Gore, John Edwards, Bill Richardson, and especially Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel - nobody ever complained about any of that, and some of their portrayals were just as unflattering as Trump and Palin - heck, they even made fun of mainstream media favoring Hillary over the other Democratic candidates, even painting them as being a bunch of sexist bullies.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

At this point he is just so ******* desperate.