Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A lot of people blame Trump for the diviseliveness one this country, but the rot set in long before.
That may be, but he really gave it a jump start: he gave his base an inch, and they took fifty miles.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I think it’s petty that some people don’t want to be friends with us just because of our political views.
To a certain degree I’ll agree with this. I’m leftist. Yet I have right-wing friends, both in real life and online. I’d count @fuzzygobo , @Buff Beaker , and @MuppetsRule among them. The thing is, while we may not agree with everything, there’s a mutual point where we agree on basic things. For instance, that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are important to humanity and that rights should be protected, even if they may cross lines set by such things as, say, religion.

But then I can’t say I 100% agree with your notion, because at a certain point, “political opinion” can become harmful, on both sides of the isle. I know someone who wants to have all Republicans wiped off the face of the earth — which is insane, and that’s an understatement. I also know people who believe that LGBTQ+ rights are the bane of their existence — again, insane!

Sorry, but when it gets to that, things are no longer all lovey dovey, “It’s just politics!” bullcrap. Those opinions are dangerous, and I’m sorry, I cannot be your friend if you hold them.

cjd874

Reaction score
I've been pretty quiet on the forum as of late, but just to be clear...this is where I stand on the recent turmoil in America. (From my Facebook page)

"I rarely say political things here, but this is important. As a teacher in a public school district...as a person who embraces diversity and acceptance of others...I am deeply hurt by the horrific and unjust incident involving George Floyd. This is not just an issue about race. It is an issue about humanity. We have to do better, starting now. Not next week, not next month, not next year. NOW.

If you want a better future for your loved ones, your friends, and their loved ones...then act now! Sign a petition, donate to a fund like the one below, or go out and make your voice heard as safely and peacefully as you can. Talk with people who are affected by this incident. Do anything you can to support those being oppressed. If you're not doing anything about this issue, think about why that is...and then do something about it. Even chipping in $1 to a fund is helpful. That's just how I see it."

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One dangerous thing people are proposing is Defund The Police. If you get rid of the cops, you get rid of the racism in the cops.
Yes, there is police brutality. Yes, there is racism. Both need to be addressed. Everybody is unanimous on that.
But society without police, things will crumble into anarchy.
In New York there are 36 thousand cops to cover 8 million people. That means one cop for every 222 people.
Take away the cops and see what happens in the next riot.

Another dangerous point. Keith Ellison Charged Derek Chauvin with 3rd degree murder, then raised it to 2nd degree. 3rd degree fits the crime better, based on what actually happened. You can charge him with 2nd degree, but when he goes to trial, he stands a chance of getting acquitted.
Can you see the outcry if THAT happens? It will make the last week look like a picnic.
If he gets booked on 3rd degree, the crime fits the punishment. He goes away for 20 years.
2nd degree is tougher to prove. Did he willfully, wantonly set out to kill George Floyd? That’s what the court has to prove. If he walks, I’ll come back after the smoke clears.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
One dangerous thing people are proposing is Defund The Police. If you get rid of the cops, you get rid of the racism in the cops.
Yes, there is police brutality. Yes, there is racism. Both need to be addressed. Everybody is unanimous on that.
But society without police, things will crumble into anarchy.
In New York there are 36 thousand cops to cover 8 million people. That means one cop for every 222 people.
Take away the cops and see what happens in the next riot.

Another dangerous point. Keith Ellison Charged Derek Chauvin with 3rd degree murder, then raised it to 2nd degree. 3rd degree fits the crime better, based on what actually happened. You can charge him with 2nd degree, but when he goes to trial, he stands a chance of getting acquitted.
Can you see the outcry if THAT happens? It will make the last week look like a picnic.
If he gets booked on 3rd degree, the crime fits the punishment. He goes away for 20 years.
2nd degree is tougher to prove. Did he willfully, wantonly set out to kill George Floyd? That’s what the court has to prove. If he walks, I’ll come back after the smoke clears.
Yeah, I don't get what they think defunding the police would accomplish. If anything, there needs to be more funding for sensitivity training. Better yet, instead of more funding or defunding, redirect some of the funds for surplus military equipment and put it towards training.

And your second point is a huge concern of many in the legal community. There is a huge risk in overcharging the officer. My fear is that the Minnesota DA caved to public pressure and overcharged him. Much more difficult case to prosecute and prove. Either way, the dirty cop is going to go away for life, why take the risk and overcharge him? And if they fail to prove 2nd degree there will be a civil war and people will blame the judicial system as being racist when in fact, it should fall on the Minnesota DA.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Speaking of caving in to public pressure, Mayor DeBlasio appeared at a rally last night and was booed and heckled. His city still sees riots and looting, he refuses to bring in the National Guard to quell the unrest, but he did apologize for his white privilege that got him into office.

So following that logic, when David Dinkins (New York’s first black mayor) was elected 30 years ago, that wasn’t on his merit, just a gesture of tokenism.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
To a certain degree I’ll agree with this. I’m leftist. Yet I have right-wing friends, both in real life and online. I’d count @fuzzygobo , @Buff Beaker , and @MuppetsRule among them. The thing is, while we may not agree with everything, there’s a mutual point where we agree on basic things. For instance, that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are important to humanity and that rights should be protected, even if they may cross lines set by such things as, say, religion.

But then I can’t say I 100% agree with your notion, because at a certain point, “political opinion” can become harmful, on both sides of the isle. I know someone who wants to have all Republicans wiped off the face of the earth — which is insane, and that’s an understatement. I also know people who believe that LGBTQ+ rights are the bane of their existence — again, insane!

Sorry, but when it gets to that, things are no longer all lovey dovey, “It’s just politics!” bullcrap. Those opinions are dangerous, and I’m sorry, I cannot be your friend if you hold them.
Thanks Old Thunder :wink: I hope you and your family are doing well during this time 😁