Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

gravy

Reaction score
David Dorn died. He was 77 years old. A black retired police officer. Dead. There are at least 12 deaths associated with this movement. There are many more injuries and beatings by mobs in the street. How many more innocent people need to die to show that black lives matter?
I'm trying to ask you the same thing.

and these are only a FEW.
As for businesses, only someone who has never worked hard to create anything or has no empathy can listen to those two business owners and feel nothing. It's not the building I mourn, it's the years of hard work and dedication I mourn. It's the life of a woman who had to pick through the rumble of her store who has lost everything. It's the life of an ex-fire fighter, a man in tears.

If you don't care about the lives lost and ruined due to this, you don't really care about black lives. You're an anarchist.
Mhm. And the people that died by police brutality that never got justice? Whose friends and family, not to mention the rest of the world, had to see die? Whose community has to go out in the street to protest peacefully only to be met by tear gas, rubber bullets, batons, and physical damage while fighting for their rights against a corrupt system? Whose enemies that received attention, spreading the ideologies of racism and hate across the globe? Whose lives were cut short due to a white police officer feeling the need to choose violence as the first option. I'll wait for your heartfelt statement on them.

"Yes, it's sad, but-" does not count.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I'm trying to ask you the same thing.

and these are only a FEW.

Mhm. And the people that died by police brutality that never got justice? Whose friends and family, not to mention the rest of the world, had to see die? Whose community has to go out in the street to protest peacefully only to be met by tear gas, rubber bullets, batons, and physical damage while fighting for their rights against a corrupt system? Whose enemies that received attention, spreading the ideologies of racism and hate across the globe? Whose lives were cut short due to a white police officer feeling the need to choose violence as the first option. I'll wait for your heartfelt statement on them.

"Yes, it's sad, but-" does not count.
"Yes, it's sad but..." seems to be the same attitude you are taking towards those whose lives and livelihoods are being destroyed.

And there is a good deal of hyperbole in your post

gravy

Reaction score
"Yes, it's sad but..." seems to be the same attitude you are taking towards those whose lives and livelihoods are being destroyed.
Let me just put it bluntly- what are YOU fighting for in this movement?

And there is a good deal of hyperbole in your post
hold on wait let me reread it

ok i reread it, i've come to the conclusion that: no

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This morning the other three cops were convicted, and Derek Chauvin’s charge was raised to 2nd degree.

I pray that brings some closure to George Floyd’s family, and the riots stop.
There is justice in this country, but the wheels of justice turn slow.

gravy

Reaction score
I personally feel like the protests and riots are beyond Floyd at this point- the system shows its true colors more and more every day and I think people are fighting for not only justice for every other person who hasn't received it, but also justice for the unfair losses yet to come. The police system itself was built on racism and it's quite apparent at this point that the people want the creation of a system that can provide someone they can truly count on.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.

The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out.
Source.

It’s pretty telling that the police system needs an overhaul. I’m very lucky to live in a place where the police officers by and large believe in serving the people. Maybe some trigger-happy ticket-writers, but no real racial issues that I’ve seen in my years of living here. But that’s not the case everywhere, and officers will and have used their Constitutional rights not to protect citizens. Like I said, overhaul.

But also, we shouldn’t turn a blind eye to those hurt by rioters and looters just because there’s a “good cause” happening. Once people turn obscenely violent, they’ve forfeited their “good cause” card.

gravy

Reaction score
It’s pretty telling that the police system needs an overhaul. I’m very lucky to live in a place where the police officers by and large believe in serving the people. Maybe some trigger-happy ticket-writers, but no real racial issues that I’ve seen in my years of living here. But that’s not the case everywhere, and officers will and have used their Constitutional rights not to protect citizens. Like I said, overhaul.

But also, we shouldn’t turn a blind eye to those hurt by rioters and looters just because there’s a “good cause” happening. Once people turn obscenely violent, they’ve forfeited their “good cause” card.
he makes good points

mariolover

Reaction score
I posted on my Facebook timeline yesterday that I was a Trump supporter and like 5 people unfriended me because of that.

People have also given me crap for being a Trump supporter, saying stuff like “I am very sad that you support him, he is the most corrupt president ever!”, and “I hope you reconsider your views.”

I think it’s petty that some people don’t want to be friends with us just because of our political views.

It doesn’t matter if we are democrat or republican, liberal or conservative,

not everyone will respect our political views if we make them public, which is why many people don’t share their views.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I posted on my Facebook timeline yesterday that I was a Trump supporter and like 5 people unfriended me because of that.

People have also given me crap for being a Trump supporter, saying stuff like “I am very sad that you support him, he is the most corrupt president ever!”, and “I hope you reconsider your views.”

I think it’s petty that some people don’t want to be friends with us just because of our political views.

It doesn’t matter if we are democrat or republican, liberal or conservative,

not everyone will respect our political views if we make them public, which is why many people don’t share their views.
People condemn you on Facebook? Welcome to 2020.
I’ve stopped posting on Facebook seven years ago, because well before Trump came along, it became a cesspool of hate, vitriol, mob abuse, and divisiveness. A lot of people blame Trump for the diviseliveness one this country, but the rot set in long before.

I go on once a year when people wish me a happy birthday. The rest of the year, I got bigger fish to fry.