Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gee, how did I know politicians would get stirred up about guns when it's police who are the victims instead of blacks, Jews, gays, children, or other everyday people?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Gee, how did I know politicians would get stirred up about guns when it's police who are the victims instead of blacks, Jews, gays, children, or other everyday people?

So what are you saying? Guns should be banned if they are going to be used on gays, children, blacks, Jews and everyday people but are OK if they are to be used on police?

Sometimes I yearn for the days of Charlie Benson.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Shooting anyone if they’re minding their own business is bad regardless of what your status is.

@MuppetsRule how shocking do you find it that a fellow liberal like myself is supportive for police if they’re at least the reasonable kind that don’t abuse their powers?

Old Thunder

Reaction score
As a liberal I’m very supportive of police because it’s a dangerous job that needs to be done, regardless of what some of the people on my own side think. There are ways to improve them, certainly, but by and large the police are a force for good and if we can get the few that abuse their powers out of the force then that would be great.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Shooting anyone if they’re minding their own business is bad regardless of what your status is.

@MuppetsRule how shocking do you find it that a fellow liberal like myself is supportive for police if they’re at least the reasonable kind that don’t abuse their powers?
Not shocking at all. There are very reasonable people on both sides of the political spectrum and I can respect that. I just don't believe in the extremes. Of either party. Anything proposed by Republicans is bad, regardless of it's own merits. Anything proposed by the Democrats is bad, regardless of it's own merits.

For instance, although I consider myself conservative leaning, I do happen to think that something needs to be done about gun control. Taking away all guns is not the answer to our violence problems. The loopholes in our existing gun control laws need to be closed. One should not be allowed to purchase a gun at a gun show without any sort of checks or records. But I also happen to think that the rise in gun violence has a lot more to do with societal problems than just "guns bad". We need to address how we handle mental health issues. We need to address the numbing of society towards violence. We need to address why so many young people disregard the value of a human life. A much more comprehensive approach needs to be taken.

I also happen to believe that an affordable solution needs to be found regarding healthcare and insurance. Obamacare was not all bad and it was stupid of the Republicans to try to dismantle it. Especailly without an alternative. But Obamacare did nothing to address the real issue of healthcare, and that is the cost of healthcare. It seemed to only address how we pay for it. Healthcare systems were still making ridiculous amounts of money. It's just that the money was now coming from the government instead of individuals. And the promises by some of the liberal democratic candidates has the same result. Free healthcare to everybody only enriches the healthcare system and the drug companies. It does nothing to bring the costs down. But nothing will happen because the healthcare systems and pharmaceuticl companies are in the pockets of politicians from both sides. Pharmaceutical companies spend 10+ times the money on lobbying efforts in D.C. than the NRA. Think about that.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That's what goes on in Washington.Whatever industry the lobbyists are a front for, throw enough money around, you can get your way.
Money talks.

Same thing with food. Once upon a time, eggs, milk, coffee and pork were all bad for you.
A billion dollars and the "Got milk?" campaign made milk big bucks again.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"I don't see where there's a recession going on." ~ Trump just now

Of course not, *******!! Not only do you turn a blind eye to your own ****-ups, but you rigged the economy to benefit your own kind, and that's all you ******* care about!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ordinarily, Raw Story's articles seem legit, but lately, even I find that a lot of their articles feel as though they're veering off into hyperbole territory, like this here:

I'm not saying anything about interracial couples and marriages in general, as in my neck of the woods, you see more black guys with white women than you do almost any other couple, but a white Republican man married to a black woman? Interracial unions are usually frowned up by white Republicans in general almost as much as LGBT unions are . . . this almost seems like baiting/looking for attention to me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes they are. I live in the south, where every state is red and full of Bible thumpers, I know. We have plenty of both interracial and LGBT couples down here, and the old, white Republicans are not happy about either of them.