1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, Apr 13, 2018.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

So in other news.....

We got another school shooting.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Can I just point out how funny it is that a Trump-supporting friend of mine has apparently never even heard of Beto O'Rourke before? Because, like . . . that just goes to show you what bubbles of isolation they live in, considering he was a prominent fixture during the 2016 mid-terms in his home state of Texas, and is now on the Democratic ticket for the 2020 Presidential election.

But hey, I mean, that's not really fair though, is it? I've never heard of half of these guys myself prior to them announcing their runs . . . I never even heard of Obama before he run for 2008.

3. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

Not sure why the need here to point out the Trump supporter friend. I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of the people, be it Republican, Democrat or Independent, downtown who Beto is.

4. LittleJerry92

Yeah, anytime Snowth says something political, I’m just waiting for @MuppetsRule or @MWoO to offer a rebutal. :laugh:

ConsummateVs and Blue Frackle like this.
  5. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

A lot of the presidential hopefuls had a low profile until they announced their run. Some flew out of the gate real fast and burned out just as fast (anybody remember what'shisname? The CEO of Starbucks?)
    Right now only Bernie has any marginal lead over the rest of the pack.
    But they all have the same rhetoric. "Free stuff for everybody!" No different than slogans from the distant past promising "Two cars in every garage and a chicken in every pot!"

6. fuzzygobo

Continued from my last post:
    So what makes Beto's promise for free stuff more valid than Elizabeth Warren's promise for free stuff?

7. D'Snowth

Ugh. If there's one thing you can't discuss intelligently with the left, it's women's rights.

"If you don't have a ****** and carry a child, you have no right to talk about women's rights!"

"Abortion is good for everybody, you can't say it's a bad thing!"

"You can't suggest a woman put a child up for adoption or into foster care if she doesn't want the child, because it's her choice!"

"Abortion good! Adoption and foster care bad!"

"You have absolutely no influence over what a woman wants to do, which is why you support her and the decision she makes!"

fuzzygobo likes this.
  8. LittleJerry92

Honestly man, I think you’re better off just not getting into those debates. All it sounds like it’s doing is giving you a headache.

And putting myself in a woman’s shoes, I can see why they get defensive about it. Pregnancy isn’t an easy thing. Having to carry a baby around inside you for 9 months effects you physically and mentally.

9. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

Yeah, and babies in general are taxing on mental health. We should kill them even after they are born if they won't stop crying to protect the woman.

Abortion is not a women's rights issue. Its a 14th amendment issue. Its about right of personal autonomy vs. State's interest in preserving life. Roe vs wade goes to more than just abortion.

Problem is, in order to live with the idea that we actively kill babies in this country the left has to convince itself that a fetus is a clump.of cells until it is born. They have to act like an abortion is just a regular thing and is in no way barbaric.

Yes, a person should have a right to autonomy. Yes, this includes abortion to an extent. Yes a fetus is a human life and abortion is the killing of a baby. All of these things are true, yet when discussing abortion one side blatantly ignores the other.

10. fuzzygobo

One thing they still push, although not as prevalent as it was in the past, is using abortion as a form of birth control.
    I can understand (even if I don't totally agree) if the woman is raped, if giving birth threatens the life of the mother, that in rare circumstances abortion may be necessary.
    But for a woman to sleep around and have sex with anybody, get pregnant, and have an abortion because she wasn't responsible enough to use contraception (same with the guy, he should protect himself too), that doesn't fly with me.
    For all the talk about women's rights, they forget about women's responsibility to that life growing in their body.
    As prudish as this may sound, don't have sex with someone you're not gonna marry, and if you do, both of you protect yourselves. Or don't have sex until you're married.

11. D'Snowth

Yeah, and then you mention that, and they're like, "Oh my gawd! Where r u from, the 1800s? Nobody cares about that $#!+ anymoar!"

12. fuzzygobo

Going out and getting a couple slices (pepperoni with pepper and oregano) used to be my go-to for the blues. But it's a lot cheaper to make at home. English muffins, sauce and cheese, you're good to go.

newsmanfan likes this.
  13. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

This is why we NEED sex ed in schools. Mandatory. And better access to gynecological care and birth control for everyone. There is still a shocking amount of ignorance about how pregnancy and STDs occur; check any social media site at all and you'll find a significant percentage of Americans have zero clue how to prevent pregnancy. This is a terrible failure of our educational system. Though I have no moral issues with sex of any kind between consenting adults, as a teen in biology class, hearing all the ways I could become ill from having sex (this was at the height of the AIDS crisis) scared me into being very, VERY careful.

Is a fetus a baby? Depends on how you define it. A clump of cells with no distinctly human attributes yet is a fetus, same as for any reptile, avian, or mammal. We all look the same up to a certain point of development. I don't think there's ever going to be consensus on this point, between a religious and a scientific point of view. However, no one should have the right to insist a woman carry a fetus to term if she doesn't want to (or even to carry it to term and then give it up for adoption if unwanted). Is prevention better and safer than abortion? Absolutely. Does society have the right to determine what a woman does with her own body? Absolutely not.

Alabama's new law will be challenged at the highest level of our court system. And it has sparked a number of copycats around the country trying to regulate sex. Less than half of Americans support outlawing abortion, whether they personally agree with it or not; this is a clear case of a vocal minority trying to push their religion on the rest of us. This is not what representative democracy is about.

14. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

Forcing a woman to carry a baby and saying a woman shouldn't kill their baby are two different things. If a woman has a child and realizes she doesnt want it, we dont let her kill her 5 year old.

If you are going to be pro-abortion you have to make peace with the fact that abortion is the killing of a human life. It just is. If you step on an egg with a chicken embryo inside, you killed a baby chick. All I ask is that pro-abortion people be logically consistent and recognize that abortion is the killing of a life.

15. fuzzygobo

We had a year of sex Ed in health(mostly urging teenage girls not to get pregnant, and for both genders masturbation is fine and dandy).
    But my biggest lesson came in sophomore biology class:
    Mr. Nick: "Today we'll talk about hormones".
    Felicia: "Mr. Nick, do you know how to make a hormone?"
    Mr. Nick: "How?"
    Felicia: "Use two fingers!"
    That was the end of class, because Mr. Nick couldn't keep a straight face.
    I guess at the age of 15, Felicia knew something the rest of us didn't!

Old Thunder likes this.
  16. D'Snowth

It took a minute for me, but if finally sank in.

Blue Frackle and fuzzygobo like this.
  17. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

18. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

The Biden loyalists who waited hours under a hot son​

Someone needs to recheck the spelling there.

19. D'Snowth

From what I can gather, nobody likes Biden - especially progressives (notice I didn't say Democrats). And not just because he gets all touchy-feely, but apparently because a lot of his political views seem to more or less align with the right, in terms of being in favor of big banks and Wall Street, being clueless about foreign policy, supporting war, supporting the death penalty, being against a universal or single-payer healthcare system, among other things that do, admittedly, sound far more rightwing than left wing.

While the Democratic party seems to have a highly positive view of him, much like they did Hillary in 2016, progressive liberals seem to view him as a milder version of Trump.

And, again, it's amusing how so many people are also shooting him down because, "we don't need another old, angry, white guy as President," despite that basically also summing up Bernie Sanders, who they do want.

Nevertheless, yes, we desperately do need unity during these times where the country is divided on almost every single subject you can imagine. Heck, I've already mentioned how much trouble I'm having with people within my own party when it comes to the topic of abortion and women's rights: according to them, you cannot say you support women's rights if you're against abortion . . . more specifically, you "have no right" to even discuss women's rights if you're against abortion, because, "you don't have a ****** and can't carry a child." My argument is that if you're going to call yourselves "pro-choice," then be more open to actually discuss more than one choice, rather than push abortion as if it's the only choice. But again, such an idea is met with backlash and outcry. However, some of the more reasonable extremists will at least offer up valid arguments on why other choices are actually bad, such as children waiting to be adopted never are, or children in foster care facing the possibilities of sexual abuse . . . but even so, it still diverts back to, "women don't want to go through the agony and anguish of childbirth, so you have to support abortion, or you can't say you support women's rights, and you have no ******, so you're in no position to talk about other choices for women!" So, you want me to be pro-choice when it comes to abortion, but not when it comes to any other choice? Doesn't that pretty much defeat the purpose of being pro-choice?

20. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

go for a walk.

MuppetsRule likes this.