1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Remembering Franz "Faz" Fazakas (1918-2013)

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Phillip, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

We just received word that Franz "Faz" Fazakas has passed away at the age of 95. He was a special effects designer and puppeteer who contributed to many Muppet productions by creating hundreds of puppetry special effects.

From helping the Muppets ride bicycles, to rowing a boat for Emmet and Ma Otter, to controlling the massive Gorgs and miniscule Doozers, the pioneering work of Faz Fazakas will live on for generations. Share your memories.

[​IMG]

2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Such a smart man who was able to help take Jim's magic and bring it to life. I wish that I could have done half of what he has done in his life. RIP FAZ!

LaniArianna likes this.
  3. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I'm so sad to hear about this. He had such a big legacy in the Muppet world (and might be the origins of 'Fozzie Bear's name). He will be missed.

LaniArianna and theSHE124 like this.
  4. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

When you stop and think about it every shot that has a Muppet in it is some way is a special effect. Faz and the whole company brought so much of the technical aspects to life. His work was simply amazing, and will live on.....

theSHE124 and LaniArianna like this.
  5. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

I'm speechless! i had no idea he did special effects with the Doozers with the radio control devices and cables that makes them move. R.I.P Faz! We will miss you!

6. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

theSHE124 and dwayne1115 like this.
  7. FrackleFan2012

LaniArianna likes this.
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Aw man... another tragic loss to the Muppet world. :(

LaniArianna likes this.
  9. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

The man was very innovative and a great partner to help make Jim's imaginary visions come to life. Now he, Jim, Jane, Richard, Jerry Nelson, Jerry Juhl and all the others will be able to tell stories of their lives.

RIP Faz.

10. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

What a long and charmed life he led. What a lucky guy. I don't think he needs tears and prayers - he needs a round of applause and a standing ovation.

11. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

The man did amazing things. What can I say? Thanks, Faz! You'll be missed.

Heh, in the Dragon*Con Fraggle Rock panel Frith, Mullen, and Prell talked about Faz's work. One thing they mentioned was the radio-controlled background Fraggles Faz made. They were next to a fire station, and when there was an alarm it would broadcast on the frequency the puppet control used. The puppets would go berserk and they'd have to wait until the alarm was over to resume filming.

Often when I went around with my puppets, Mokey especially, people asked me if I built eye mechanisms. I replied that I was nowhere near that good; "My name is Kim, not Faz!" People knew who I was referring to. :)

Rugratskid, cjd874, theSHE124 and 5 others like this.
  12. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Oh no this is horrible! *sighs* I feel awful for not knowing his name.....

LaniArianna likes this.
  13. Twisted Tails

theSHE124 likes this.
  14. Twisted Tails

*Clears throat* I would like to say that I saw "Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas and one of my favorite scenes was when Ma and her son were rowing the boat along the river. After I saw the special, I watched some extra features, and guess what? Faz was the one that radio-controlled the boat. I was like, "How did he do that?" He legacy of creating technology and special effects for the Muppets will live on. R.I.P Faz!

dwayne1115 and CensoredAlso like this.
  15. theSHE124

theSHE124 Well-Known Member

You're right, Slackbot! That was a funny moment they said at the place! "Oh boy, here it goes again!" :)

And for my 300th post, I would like to thank Faz for bringing his talents for such an incredible legacy to the Muppets and puppetry! Pause for applause, everybody! :shifty::busy::grr:

16. Twisted Tails

I did find a video of Traveling Matt and Cotterpin Doozer. I believe off-camera would be Fac when Cotterpin moves her ATV (which is a few times) and the voice was Kathy Mullen.

Okay, so it is video-taped, but I wish this was somewhere (when someone does a tribute of him).

FrackleFan2012 likes this.
  17. Mike Quinn

Mike Quinn Well-Known Member

I met Faz several times, but the only time I think I officially worked with him was when he was over for a short time on The Dark Crystal. I was building Podlings and Slaves hand puppets (100 in all) with Bobby Payne. Faz worked with Bobby on a few marionette Podlings for the village scene as I recall.

He was such a nice and fun guy and was so genuine and enthusiastic. He cared very much about his work. Definitely a key figure in the company. Who can forget Kermit riding his bike in The Muppet Movie?

It was an honor and a pleasure knowing you Faz - thank you for all you did!

Phillip and theSHE124 like this.
  18. robodog

robodog Well-Known Member

His work was amazing. He basically had my dream job. I'm sorry to hear that he's passed on. RIP and thanks for all the awesome moments.

19. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Well-Known Member

When I heard the news about this I was really saddened and shock Faz was a genius and really helped many of Jim's ideas become a reality like the Rat kitchen scence the Doozers ,the gorgs faces and even sweetums's eyebrow. R.I.P mr Fazakas another great muppet helper joining Jim, Richard, Jerry and many others in that great muppet heaven

theSHE124 and FrackleFan2012 like this.
  20. FrackleFan2012

Yeah...