Regarding Hotglue: A Word Of Advice

BorkBork

Reaction score
I was working with hotglue a cupple of hours ago. I had the gun on for an hour and it was really hot. I spilled some glue on my finger, and i didn't have any water near. It was hot, probably around 150-200 degrees celcius. When i got the glue of my finger, my skin had crumpled up like the cracked skin of a fried hot dog.

Now i have 2:nd degree burn on my finger, and it hurts lihe h***.

Anyway, my advice to you is:
when using hotglue, be causious..be careful, do not drip on yourself, if you should do it anyway, have a cup of cold water near you. Also mix some water with vinageur, it has a soothing effect. My finger smells like a salad now, haha.

Hope you don't repeat my mistake.

/Anders

rtgentry

Reaction score
I was just using my glue gun too and my wife can tell cause I am constantly going , OWWW, hot hto hot hot hot hot, cheeee cheee.. anyways thanks for the advice on the water idea, I also just roll it off really fast :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
glue burned finger meat and vinegar is delicious!

Actually, there's a low-temp hot glue gun which stings and rolls off easy; the high-temp MANLY hot glue guns (which I'm too big a sissy to use) BURNS SOOOO BAD! :cry:

One time with one of those boogers and it got thrown away!

I only use low-temp and Super 77 Spray Adhesive.

BorkBork

Reaction score
vinegaur actually works! it's excellent :stick_out_tongue:

not much pain now, just when i touch it, but whough nasty blisters, and dead skin all over....yuk

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
Anders, you're supposed to put the glue on the puppet! :smile: Just kiddin! I use my Low temp gun most of the time, even though I have 4 other Guns! :smile:

Jake

P.S. How's the Antron Fleece working?

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Children,

Hot Glue is Hot

Sarah

*steps off soapbox*

wait now I'm short

*steps back on*

Sam Bald Eagle

Reaction score
If you get hot glue on you
DO NOT REMOVE IT !!!!! :grouchy:
If you peel it of right away then it will take alot of skin
I know from personal experience (I'm missing half my thumb print now):frown:
run it under cold running water until it feels cool then peel it off slowly!! If it feels like its catching on skin stop and put it back under the water!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That's very true, don't peel off the glue until it cools - I've lost some skin that way before. Despite the short-term pain, the burn won't blister as badly if you wait for the glue to heal.

I also recommend the low-temp guns - there's very few materials in puppet building that require working with the high-temperature guns.

Happy (safe) puppet building@ :zany:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I have to agree, do not pull of the skin....other than losing skin, you can lose nerve endings (or something like that) I pulled off skin after a burn, and pulled enough off to mess up my nerves, so now I have no feeling in one finger...well in two.....there was that time with the cheese grater...

Sarah

if I keep this up...I'm not gonna have any fingers left to feel with!

BorkBork

Reaction score
I didn't lose any skin due to pulloff, but the skin kida crumbled up...it's much better now, just have to wait for it to heal :smile:

/Anders