Red Fraggle is in the house!

Slackbot

Reaction score

After taking some time off making puppets to illustrate a book, I'm back in the business of making a hideous mess of my living room in the name of puppetry. But Red is worth it. If you don't believe me just ask her.

I'm pleased with how she turned out, but there are a few things that could be better. The one I'll point out here is that her eyes are a tad too big. I originally used 40MM ping-pong balls on her, and they were small and awful looking. So I pulled those out and used these 2" jumbo balls, which I've also used on Wembley. They err in the other direction, but she looks better with larger eyes than with smaller. The ideal size would be the 1 3-4" puppet eyes I used for Gobo and Janken...but those are only hemispheres. Drat.

Red is the messiest puppet I've made so far. Not only do I have the usual ostrich feather debris (only more, as I had to shred a LOT of 'em to make those pompoms), fake fur trimmings, and sparkly antron fleece fuzz, but...that shirt. It's made of terrycloth, and when you cut terrycloth little loops of the stuff go everywhere. I'm going to have to rake my carpet before I can vacuum it. Is there such a thing as Fuzzy Lung Syndrome?

As I've stated in my other threads, I make all my puppets from scratch, starting with original patterns. Don't tell Red, but I was able to use a lot of Gobo's pattern for her. Her head is all her own, but the body, limbs, tail, and even shirt are all modified Gobo. Hey, Fraggle Rock is heavy into environmentalism, and what is more environment-friendly than recycling?

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I Colette, the Silly Creature do solemnly swear not to tell Red or anyone else about the patterns have come from the Gobo puppet. Weeba weeba waffa waffa garpox gurnbage whoopie!

Excellent job with your Red Fraggle puppet. :smile:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
What a nice puppet! Now you have all of the fraggle five made. You should should do a group photo shoot, lol.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, guys!

I'd like to do a photo shoot with all the Fraggle Five, but they are puppets, not posers. Unless I have a bunch of puppeteers on hand, it's really hard to prop up a bunch of puppets and have 'em look good. I'll see what I can do, though.

Bridget

Reaction score
Slackbot, I have absolutely no idea why I am just now seeing this! But your Red Fraggle is amazing! It is very realistic, and I can definitely tell that you put much effort and hard work into her pom-pom hair due. Wonderful job!

stephen murrell

Reaction score
she looks fantastic just like all your others. congrats on another fraggle well done! ;-):coy:

Kind regards
Steve ;-)