Rare film with Big Bird

SkyeFan

Reaction score
Not too long ago, a friend of mine had mentioned a scene they remember seeing on "Sesame Street" at least once that involved Big Bird. He told me that it was a scene that showed Big Bird (looking like he did in either season 2 or 3) in an outdoor setting jumping up and down really fast and then in slow motion, followed by him running with a group of kids. Mind you, this was not the footage shown at the start of the show accompanied by the opening theme song, since my friend recalls this footage looked like it was on film as opposed to videotape (the opening footage for the show was on videotape starting with season 4), plus he also remembers seeing this scene midway through an episode. He also seems to vaguely recall that this scene was quite possibly preceded with some footage of children on swings or a playground slide, and even riding a roller coaster in an amusement park, unless this footage came from a separate segment. If that was shown in the same segment involving Big Bird, then it was quite possibly a film demonstrating fast and slow. I don't know what a segment that would feature Big Bird jumping both fast and slow would teach.

Does anyone know if this was an actual segment shown on "Sesame Street", or did my friend dream this instead? I just don't seem to remember such a segment appearing on the show, unless it was only played in few episodes.

hooperfan

Reaction score
Not too long ago, a friend of mine had mentioned a scene they remember seeing on "Sesame Street" at least once that involved Big Bird. He told me that it was a scene that showed Big Bird (looking like he did in either season 2 or 3) in an outdoor setting jumping up and down really fast and then in slow motion, followed by him running with a group of kids. Mind you, this was not the footage shown at the start of the show accompanied by the opening theme song, since my friend recalls this footage looked like it was on film as opposed to videotape (the opening footage for the show was on videotape starting with season 4), plus he also remembers seeing this scene midway through an episode. He also seems to vaguely recall that this scene was quite possibly preceded with some footage of children on swings or a playground slide, and even riding a roller coaster in an amusement park, unless this footage came from a separate segment. If that was shown in the same segment involving Big Bird, then it was quite possibly a film demonstrating fast and slow. I don't know what a segment that would feature Big Bird jumping both fast and slow would teach.

Does anyone know if this was an actual segment shown on "Sesame Street", or did my friend dream this instead? I just don't seem to remember such a segment appearing on the show, unless it was only played in few episodes.
From season 3

SkyeFan

Reaction score
WOW! I've never seen a footage of Big Bird on film before. Well...with the exception of the feature film "Follow That Bird", for instance, but I mean on stock quality Super 8 or 16mm film, like the kind that's used for "on location" inserts on the show. I'll have to inform my friend on this segment, so he knows for sure that this was not just a dream.

Could this possibly be the only time we see any Muppet characters in a filmed footage rather than on videotape? I haven't seen this segment myself (and I suppose I'm not the only one), but could this have led to the inspiration of having Big Bird appear with children on location for the opening footage played to the show's theme song? Seems possible. It would have been more interesting though if the opening footage with Big Bird was done on film instead. Just as long as it wasn't in season 1. That Big Bird would be too scary to be running through the streets playing with children. Also, did this segment include any footage of children on swings or a playground slide, as well as riding a roller coaster?

Last edited:

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Could this possibly be the only time we see any Muppet characters in a filmed footage rather than on videotape?
Within Sesame Street the only other examples I know, though they're a bit of a stretch, are the occasional live action films where Sesame Street appears on a TV set on screen, like the one about kids growing up to take on different jobs (a kid watching the Kermit and Cookie Monster weather bit goes on to become a meteorologist) or the one about how energy is made (Big Bird shows up on a TV set to demonstrate why TVs need electricity to run).

Outside of the show, there was this one interview with Big Bird to promote an early Sesame Street live show:

SkyeFan

Reaction score
...or the one about how energy is made (Big Bird shows up on a TV set to demonstrate why TVs need electricity to run).

What segment is that? I don't think I've ever seen that one before. Could this have been on "3-2-1 Contact" (a PBS program produced by CTW that taught science) rather than "Sesame Street"?

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
...or the one about how energy is made (Big Bird shows up on a TV set to demonstrate why TVs need electricity to run).

What segment is that? I don't think I've ever seen that one before. Could this have been on "3-2-1 Contact" (a PBS program produced by CTW that taught science) rather than "Sesame Street"?