Random Puppet-Building Tips

BorkBork

Reaction score
I thought this could be a fun and usefull topic. You could post tips and words of wisdom that you've learned during puppetry-work. I'll go first with a totally random tip:

When sewing, if you poke yourself in your fingers with the needle, quickly take the fabric with your other hand and put it down so you don't bleed on the fabric Clean your finger and don't continue sewing untill you stopped bleeding.

BorkBork

Reaction score
Here's a creative tip:
If something get's a bit crooked or oddly looking, don't see it as it takes away from perfection, more that it adds to charachter.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Bone folders make for great turning/stuffing tools.

Don't let anyone drink coffee near your newly completed body of work.

Keep a cup of tapwater nearby for when you burn yourself with hot glue.

Also, saliva takes blood out of fabric.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
When I build the mouth peice, How do I attach it to the mouth area afterwards, I usually sew it on but are there any other methods?

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
"When sewing, if you poke yourself in your fingers with the needle, quickly take the fabric with your other hand and put it down so you don't bleed on the fabric Clean your finger and don't continue sewing untill you stopped bleeding."

But with out the Blood how ill my puppet come to life, and smite my enemys with the others in my un-holy puppet army of darkness?

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
But with out the Blood how ill my puppet come to life, and smite my enemys with the others in my un-holy puppet army of darkness?

Well, really that's the trick. I mean, if you don't want them to kill you in your sleep, I suggest finding a hobo and using his blood as well as your own.

As far as attaching the mouth plate, I machine sittch my fabric in first, then attach the mouthplate afterwards with glue. I tried doing it the other way for years and I ended up with sloppy lips. There are people who are great at it the other way...I'm not.

BorkBork

Reaction score
let's get some life into this thread again, it may be useful for all of us :wink:

When alot of people recomends something, such as use of gasket rubber, go ahead and try it. You will not be dissapointed.

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
hot glue

When droping a huge glob of hot glue in the center of your hand, please refrain from using words you might otherwise regret and just scream! Hold hand under cold water for period of time and then apply Aloe Verra and bandage. Then start back using the hot glue proof gloves you should have been wearing in the first place. :rolleyes:

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I had a lot of trouble building hands when I first started out, but I feel like I've learned a lot after 12 years of building.

When creating hands for a rod puppet, I suggest making them removable. The best way I've found for this is to get some 1/4" clear plastic tubing and sewing a strip of it into the hand , making it flush with the fabric at the wrist so it's not sticking out. Then you can feed a metal rod into it until it starts to catch.

Also, put some wiring in the fingers so you can pose them or bend them around objects.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Where do I get the Gasket Rubber? And on that note, were can I find some foam Rubber?