"Rainbow Connection" on ABC's The Neighbors

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Okay, did anybody else catch the use of "Rainbow Connection" audio and video from The Muppet Movie as part of Wednesday night's episode of the ABC comedy The Neighbors?

The episode saw the Weaver family (who've unwittingly moved into a suburb full of aliens as per the premise of the show) collectively coming down with a bad cold, shortly after we learn that school-age son Max copes with a cold by repeatedly watching Kermit sing "Rainbow Connection."

So the video clip shows up twice in the episode (the second time, youngest child Abby turns to Max and gripes, "You're ruining Kermit for me!") and a good chunk of the song is played as background music for the climax, which sees the aliens overcoming their earlier fears about catching the cold and coming into the Weaver house to nurse them back to health.

It was all a pleasant surprise for me and Mrs. Otter on a mid-season episode of a show that has become one of our favourites after getting off to a shaky start - and I'm wondering if Disney/ABC didn't insert it as a bit of a promo for The Muppet Movie coming out on Blu-Ray.

If you missed it, you can probably download the whole episode of The Neighbors on ABC's Web site. Worth a watch, with or without our favourite frog.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The show really likes Kermit. The Christmas episode features the alien Larry Bird finally getting into the Christmas spirit by opening up the Weavers' gifts and watching Muppet Christmas Carol. This leads to him doing a Kermit impression, and later in the episode, it features Kermit's rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" as background music.

A rare feat it is to have Kermit as underscore in 2 episodes of a sitcom.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Oh man, the Christmas episode! *slaps forehead* I can't believe I forgot that. I didn't see Larry Bird's Kermit impression but I distinctly remember "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" being played in the background for the climax. Very cool (and not just because I really like the Steve-as-Kermit recording of that song).

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I wonder if someone behind the scenes likes the Muppets, and is pushing to get little things in there every now and then. Or, it could be ABC trying to get a bit more exposure out. (Not that I know WHY they would need to do that)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sounds more like author appeal if anything. The show does feature someone that wore a lot of Muppet shirts on Still Standing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They did it again. Debbie Weaver was talking about how she had a discussion with her daughter after seeing MTM. Her daughter had strange dreams about Gonzo. I wish I had the exact quote, but it was an extended exchange about Gonzo. They really love the Muppets there.