Lending Tree commercial with Lenny from the Jim Henson Company

salemfan

Reaction score
Here's a Lending Tree commercial in which the mascot for Lending Tree, Lenny, was built by Jim Henson Creature Shop:

1. Why does Lenny take a whiff after listening to what the lender says in the commercial?

2. When Lenny says"I smell BS" does he mean that he smells the feces of a male cow from a farm behind the bank?

3. When Lenny asks "Hey, does anyone else here smell BS?" is he asking if anyone else there smells the feces of a male cow from a farm behind the bank?

4. When Lenny says at the end "There's that smell again" does he mean he smells the feces of a male cow from a farm behind the bank?
If the answer to all of my questions is no, what does Lenny mean?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think he means that he does not believe what is being said (some people refer to unbelievable things as BS - sometimes even the actual words) and pretending to smell something to be funny.

salemfan

Reaction score
I think he means that he does not believe what is being said (some people refer to unbelievable things as BS - sometimes even the actual words) and pretending to smell something to be funny.
What does "that smell" in Lenny's line at the end of the commercial refer to?
And why is Lenny asking if anybody else at that bank smells BS?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
He’s just saying that he thinks the deal is a scam (or not as good as Lending Tree) and “that smell” is emphasizing his disbelief.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, why would other people at that bank smell BS?
I don't think the other people at the bank was really listening, nobody else is really shown listening, and I don't think Lenny really cared if they heard him or smelled BS.

Even if he really did literally smell BS, they might not have also smelled it and he could have been checking to see if he was smelling correctly.

salemfan

Reaction score
I don't think the other people at the bank was really listening, nobody else is really shown listening, and I don't think Lenny really cared if they heard him or smelled BS.

Even if he really did literally smell BS, they might not have also smelled it and he could have been checking to see if he was smelling correctly.
Does "literally smell BS", "they might not have also smelled it" and "smelling correctly" refer to not believing what this bank has said, or does it refer to the feces of a male cow from a farm behind the bank?

salemfan

Reaction score
He’s just saying that he thinks the deal is a scam (or not as good as Lending Tree) and “that smell” is emphasizing his disbelief.
So why aren't there flies buzzing all over the lender when the lender says "And you won't find a better offer anywhere" and "It really is an exceptional offer"?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I remember those types of puppet characters from those commercials. I think one was performed by Artie Esposito who subbed for Steve as Kermit for a time in 2009, but I think Wally was the character I remember and that was a while ago. I don't think I'm familiar with Lenny, but that's interesting info.