Sesame Street Classics HBO Max Rollouts

DotBridgekeeper

Reaction score
?1: when new releases are planned,
?2: which episodes will be released,
?3: what threads on MuppetCentral and/or Muppet.fandom are likely to show these updates.

P.S.: I haven't seen any new updates on here, so I hope Phillip and the other moderators are okay.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Since HBO Max launched, they have only added new classic Sesame Street episodes a couple of times, within a week of each other, and that was just winter-themed episodes in time for the winter.

I don’t think it was ever promised or announced that more classic episodes will be added, and I have a feeling that if we get more, they won’t announce it in advance (the addition of all those winter episodes weren’t announced in advance).

Just noticed the last question. In the a Classic Sesame Street folder, there are sub folders for seasons 1-10, 11-20, and 21-30, which I think are really just for our thoughts on episodes that are available on HBO Max. If more classics get added, there’ll be threads for each individual episode.

DotBridgekeeper

Reaction score
Some spring-themed episodes would hit the spot now. But I guess as you said, they'll roll out when and if they feel like.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder what episodes would be right for Spring. Or Summer (perhaps the episodes leading up to the Hawaii trip).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had considered doing an April Fools post that HBO Max added ten more classic episodes, and also considered one where Netflix actually added some episodes (saying a special arrangement was made for Netflix to stream classic episodes not on HBO Max). Of course I ended up not doing either.

Episodes I considered saying were part of the new package include Oscar hosting the show (episode 129), episode 915, the adults believe in Snuffy (episode 1966), Uncle Wally's Snorgelupagus prank, Gordon waits for Snuffy (episode 2042, I think), Gina's debut, Gina meets Little Jerry, Maria announces she's having a baby, and the Eclipse on Sesame Street (episode 3357). Can't remember if I considered going so far as to include episode 847 in that.

I wonder if it would be great to do new batches themed by character, meaning episodes where that character was involved with the street story. A good starting point would be a batch of Big Bird episodes or Elmo episodes.

DotBridgekeeper

Reaction score
I'm afraid that the HBO end of this deal ultimately calls the shots. And while I'm sure many of us have a thing or two to say about this, they're who the Workshop's playing ball with right now. Since we're stuck with them as the current intermediary, hopefully they'll take consideration of their paying customers, myself included. I just wish the Workshop would extend a more direct access of the catalog to its fanbase. Having to "pave" certain elements out of the show due to changing P&R considerations is just one of the issues I have with this deal. In the meantime, we'll just have to see where this deal will continue to take us.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the first set of older episodes was released on May 27 last year. Additional episodes were added early last December. I am thinking there may be a roughly six-month gap between occurrences of fresh episodes added, though I wouldn't be shocked if most of the releases will likely be restricted to story arcs, episodes involving a birthday of a Muppet or cast member, episodes involving a relative of a Muppet or cast member visiting the street, etc.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think you're looking for a pattern where there is none.

I think the priority is more on adding actual new episodes than older ones, which require a lot more legal clearing and determining inappropriate content.

Last edited: