Question for Karen Prell

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Karen,

I hope you're doing well. We haven't met before but I have certainly appreciated your friendly posts over the past year or so.

I was wondering if you could answer a question that I have regarding a sketch from sesame street?

There's a song where about the differences between life in the country and the city. The city boy played as a beatnik and is obviously performed by Jim Henson. The country girl sounds a lot like your vocal style to my ears and I was wondering if that was you performing in the sketch with Jim Henson. It seems to fit the time frame which you worked on Sesame Street. Do you remember anything about that sketch? It's a wonderful for song and one my favorites. I just taped it off my VHS copy and added to my Sesame Street Anthology CD.

Thanks so much for your time. I hope not to trouble you too much.

regards,

Scott

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if that could have been her too. Of course I could'nt really tell. I didn't realize it until you posted.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Well, Dr. Tooth I've seen her post every now and then but mainly in regards to Fraggle Rock. So I'm hoping that perhaps she might run into my post. Who knows, eh?

Scott (who longs to be more than just a "junior")

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, Karen posted earlier today on the Fraggle DVD thread.

The song you are asking about ("Life in the Country/Life in the City") is sung by Jim Henson and Marilyn Sokol. Marilyn is best known for her work as Ma Otter but she also did quite a bit of work on Sesame Street including singing "Doll House", "I Want a Monster to Be My Friend", "Monster Lullaby" among several others.

You can hear all of these songs on Muppet Central Radio.

radionate

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the web site Scooter. I had no idea she was also in "Man On The Moon" (the only Jim Carrey movie I like)(I actually love it).

An interesting side note though. Emmet Otter was not listed on her resume. Oh well. It's still one of my favorite muppet projects of all time, and my most treasured Song (When the River Meets the Sea)

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ol' Buddy Bert
There's a song where about the differences between life in the country and the city.
Oh, I forgot all about that song! I wanna hear it now! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ol' Buddy Bert
Well, Dr. Tooth I've seen her post every now and then but mainly in regards to Fraggle Rock. So I'm hoping that perhaps she might run into my post. Who knows, eh?
I know! That's why I edited my earlier post. I was hoping you wouldn't read it in time. However, she did do stuff for Sesame, I believe. I saw it on her web site. It's just her name.com!

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for answering my question. I really appreciate it. For some reason the female vocal on that song sounded a little bit like some of Karen's vocal work when she was doing Red Fraggle. I don't know how to describe it but...still...Marilyn Sokol it is!

Well Karen, in the words of Emily Littela "...never mind."

thanks again!

Scott

KPrell

Reaction score
What they said.

Yep, that wasn't me. I didn't get a chance to perform with Jim while I was on Sesame Street. He and the gang were in England busy finishing up work on the Muppet Show at that time.

I sort of remember the song - I think it was done before I started in 1980. I didn't know that Marilyn performed in it, so it's been good to see the information other folks know about it. And good to see that Marilyn Sokol has a website. I've always admired the singing she did for the Muppets and wondered what she's doing now.

Thanks for the question, Scott!

all the best,

Karen