The history of the number 4 font

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I did notice over the course of the 1970s and 1980s tbat the number 4 shown upon the sponsors being announced at the end of the show, had, five, maybe six different versions. Remember, we're talking pre-Season 35 episodes.

- The original 4 was simply Futura. it was definitely used in Season 3 or maybe 4, as I did see Episode 355 on YouTube earlier this year.
- Sometime in the 1970s, the 4 had no diagonal line - just vertical lines and a horizontal line, but tge left side was shorter than the right side.
- In Season 11, the 4 was updated to have the left side raised to the same level as tge right side.
- For season 20 only, as per episode available on Volume 1 of the iTunes package, has the 4 updated to look taller than any other character. Thankfully, they reverted back to the previous version many all know and loved by Season 21.

I remember, in the episode numbers shown in the opening that the number 4 had a diagonal left side but was separated from the right vertical line. Was this ever seen in the on-screen sponsors as they were announced? Also, when did they change to the first version of the 4 without the diagonal slope on the left side?