Question about Sculpt or Coat

Ian Mac

Reaction score
I've started reading a few books that mention Sculp and Coat that they apply to foam skulls and fleece but it doesn't mention the purpose or advantage of doing so.
What is the purpose and benefits of this process?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It's primarily used as a sealant so that solvent based paints (like most spray paints) won't eat away at or damage foam. It's also handy for situations where you have something fabricated from different types of foam or materials that have different textures and absorbed paint differently and you need them to look like they are all the same material. In situations like that I will sometimes coat the puppet or prop in something like Sculpt or Coat so it has an even texture (you can also use rubber latex or diluted white glue the same way).

Sculpt or Coat can also protect puppets and props from heavy wear and tear. For example, if you had to build a puppet from foam that didn't have a fabric covering and it had to be used in dozens or hundreds of shows, then covering it with Sculpt or Coat before it's painted would make a lot of sense because it will protect the puppet from damage. Some people use Sculpt or Coat when they build Audrey IIs for "Little Shop of Horrors" because those go through a lot of wear and tear.

You can also use it to create textures and it has other applications for prop making and set construction. I don't know why someone would use it on fleece unless they were trying to create some kind of unusual texture.

Ian Mac

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver thank you for explaining that to me and making things clear.
Top Man!
Cheers :smile: