Question about Muppet Christmas Carol

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering a few things about the Muppet Christmas Carol movie as I attempt to start the next update for my Muppet Listings.
1 Were the Ghost of Christmas Past and Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come Muppets?
2 If so, who performed them?
3 Or were these two characters human actors/actresses in costume?
4 And if that is the case, then who performed those characters?
5 After reading through the cast listing for the movie, I found about five different actors listed for the role of Young Scrooge. Why is this so?
6 How many instances were there when we saw a "Young Scrooge" in the movie and which instances were they?
7 Please try to correlate the "Young Scrooge" instance with the actor who portrayed this character at that precise moment if you can, or at least help guide me in making such differentiations between all the Young Scrooge roles listed in the movie's cast.
Thanks for your help and have a good day.

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
cant answer all of em but

1. Not to my knowledge, they were movie specific characters.

5. Thats a result of the sequence when they visit his old boarding house/school and they see him age over the years.

6.Well the younger scooges were only in that part.
7. As far as i know they were listed in order {youngest to oldest}

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another question for you Muppet fans about Muppet Christmas Caroll.
The movie cast listings has a character attributed to Steve Whitmire named "Sprocket." Is this Sprocket the Dog from Fraggle Rock in a crossover cameo appearance? Or is this a completely new character who just happens to be named Sprocket as well? And if the latter is true, what does this character look like? Thanks for your help and have a good day.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
This is indeed Sprocket from Fraggle Rock. He has no lines; he just has a cameo appearance for a few scenes.

As for your other questions:
1) I take it you mean is one of the famous Muppets playing the roles, just as Kermit plays Bob Cratchit? If you mean that, the answer is no. As Mustang said, they are movie-specific characters. They would technically fall under the heading of "Muppet" since they were produced for a Muppet production, though the Ghost of Christmas Past has more of a Creature Shop look to her.

2,3, 4) Not sure who performed Past. She had a young female voice; I don't know the puppeteers offhand. She was definitely a puppet. Present was an actor in a large costume with a puppet head that was performed and voiced by Jerry Nelson. The credits at the end of the film should be able to help you fill in the rest of the details.

5, 6, 7) Mustang answered these questions nicely. For more info, see the end credits or IMDB. More than likely, on the end credits, the actors will be listed chronologically from youngest to oldest.

Hope that helps. :smile: Am I to take it you haven't seen the film yet? Most video stores should have a copy on VHS or DVD. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend it, even if it is summer! :excited:

muppet_dk

Reaction score
The Ghost of Christmas Past: Karen Prell, Rob Tygner, William Todd Jones
The Ghost of Christmas Present: Jerry Nelson(Voice & Face), Donald Austen(Body)
The Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come: Donald Austen & Rob Tygner

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for posting their replies.
1 Yes, I've already seen Muppet Christmas Caroll, it's just that these questions came up while doing research for my Muppet Listings.
2 The one movie I haven't seen yet is Muppets From Space, but my brother went on a couple of errands and will hopefully bring it home with him from the video store tonight for a private screening in my room tomorrow.
3 In the case of Sprocket, he'll keep his FR designation and won't be counted twice.
4 As part of my research, I've been going to www.imdb.com and here's what I came up with for the cast from Muppet Christmas Caroll.
Mike Quinn (I)
Muppet Performer

Robert Tygner
Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come/Ghost of Christmas Past

Karen Prell
Ghost of Christmas Past (performer)

William Todd Jones
Ghost of Christmas Past/Additional Muppet Performer

Donald Austen
Ghost of Christmas Present/Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Jessica Fox (I)
Ghost of Christmas Past
(voice)

Raymond Coulthard
Young Scrooge

Russell Martin (II)
Young Scrooge

Theo Sanders
Young Scrooge

Kristopher Milnes
Young Scrooge

Edward Sanders
Young Scrooge

5 As you can see, I have a bit of confusion with just how many "Young Scrooges" were cast in the movie and who/which to credit. I'll wait until I can rent the movie again before crediting any/all of them.
6 As for the Christmas ghosts, I'm not asking if a famous Muppet character played that role. It's just that the Ghost of Christmas Present is credited as a new Muppet character from this specific movie, and I was wondering if the other two Christmas ghosts were actors in costumes or Muppets made specifically for this particular movie. If you guys can, please describe what the three Christmas ghosts looked like with as many detailing as possible. And please answer me if they were indeed Muppets made for this specific movie.
Thanks for your help and have a good night.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I'm trying to settle this once and for all. Were the three Christmas ghosts (Ghost of Christmas, Present, and Yet To Come) Muppets? Or were they human actors in costumes? And if they were humans in costumes, what are the names of the humans who performed these three characters from the movie Muppet Christmas Caroll?

Please post your replies here ASAP, cause I'd like your help in updating my Muppet Listings. Thanks for your help and have a good night.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
well if you ask me, The 'Past' ghost looked like a CGI character. The other two looked like humans were inside to me. That's all I can think of right now, I'll have to go watch it again

I can think of 3 scrooges for sure, and they might even counted the one with the girl singing the love is gone. I hope that's of help.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
The Count said:
OK, I'm trying to settle this once and for all. Were the three Christmas ghosts (Ghost of Christmas, Present, and Yet To Come) Muppets? Or were they human actors in costumes? And if they were humans in costumes, what are the names of the humans who performed these three characters from the movie Muppet Christmas Caroll?

Please post your replies here ASAP, cause I'd like your help in updating my Muppet Listings. Thanks for your help and have a good night.
All three technically are Muppets in the sense that Chilly Down mentioned. Christmas Past is too small to be a human in a costume, and like Sarah mentioned she had a CGI look to her. Present and Yet To Come are both Muppets. I'm guessing they were puppeteered similar to how the Gorgs in Fraggle Rock were, or the Skeksis in Dark Crystal (someone in the costume, someone else doing the controls for the face and sometimes the voice as well). Jerry Nelson did the voice for Christmas Present, but I think someone else controlled the facial movements. Christmas Yet To Come had no voice, of course, but I'm sure there was someone in the puppet to control the arms and make it move.

Does that help?

-Kim

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course it helps, Kim. So is everybody in agreement that all three Christmas ghosts were technically "Muppets" and can thus be counted as such?

OK, then now let's move on to settling the other pending matter from MCC: the number of Young Scrooges.
The way that I could explain it best, though I'm not 100% sure it's correct is like this.
#1 the young boy in the schoolroom when his friend comes to get him for the Christmas holiday.
#2 the slightly older boy present with Sam the Eagle at the schoolhouse for Graduation Day. (Unless this is the same aged boy as #1.)
#3 the young man working at Fozziwig's Rubber Chicken Factory.
#4 the slightly older young man who had his heart shattered by Belle when she sang "The Love is Gone."
And yet, www.imdb.com lists five different "Young Scrooges" in its cast listings for MCC. If you can, please list all the "Young Scrooges" that appeared in MCC in order of appearance, the scenes where they appeared in, and the name of the actor who performed the "Young Scrooge" who appeared in that particular scene.
Thanks for your help as always, and have a good day.