Question about college'n'stuff

BooberKnowsBest

Reaction score
I'm want to attend a community college when i graduate high school in june, but i haven't yet filled out the FAFSA (because i'm such a procrastinator). but anyways, my question is am i supposed to apply to the college BEFORE i fill out the FAFSA? or does it really matter? I know i should probably ask the college councilers or something, but i really don't want to unless i have to ( i guess you could say i'm shy :embarrassed: ). But anyways, If anyone knows what i'm talking about, i'd really appreciate the help! :smile: Thanks!

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Hmmm..... good question. I wouldn't know, because I'm planning on going to the local Junior College next year, so I don't have to fill out a FAFSA. My suggestion would be to look over both applications (FAFSA and college) and see if one of them has a spot where you have to list what college you've applied for or if you have applied for the FAFSA. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think you have to have applied to a college to fill out the FAFSA, but I'm not positive.

California girls rock. (although I'm a NorCal girl)

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Most colleges will do admissions seperately from financial aide (and if I recall, I think it's illegal to base admission off of financial aide need).

You won't get a financial aide packet until you do the FAFSA, but you will get the yay/nay on acceptance.

I need to re-do my FAFSA, but I'm so lazy :wink:

BooberKnowsBest

Reaction score
Thanks you guys, i really need all the help i can get on this :eek: Yes, FAFSA is such a chore, but i guess it's worth it in the end. I think i'm going to apply to the college first, and then do the FAFSA, because i guess it doesn't really matter which you do first, from what i've heard (or maybe i just want to put off filling out the FAFSA for as long as possible :stick_out_tongue: ) The deadline is in march, isn't it? So hopefully i've still got time to get things in order.:concern:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I think, although don't quote me because it's been awhile since I was applying for colleges, that the FAFSA is due in April on the same day as Tax Day. At least it was 7 years ago when I was applying for financial aid. It could've changed.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can understand why you'd feel nervous about asking the college people. But it would probably be a good idea, at least you'd know for sure. You don't want to make a mistake and have it be too late. :smile: