Question about Candlewick Press' logo

salemfan

Reaction score
Candlewick Press, a children's book publisher, uses a bear carrying a candle as their logo. When I emailed them asking why their logo is a bear carrying a candle, not Lumiere from Disney's Beauty and the Beast, their response was,
"The reason for our logo is that it matches that of our parent company, Walker Books, in England. I don't know why they adopted the bear as their logo."
When I emailed them suggesting that they use Lumiere from Disney's Beauty and the Beast as their logo, their response was,
"Thank you, but Candlewick's logo is a teddy bear, carrying a candle."
Do any of you think Candlewick Press should use Lumiere the candelabra as their logo?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think they would have to have lot, and lots of copywrite to do that.

I also think, Walker Books has a strange logo. I mean, Walker? What has that got to do with a bear in a nightcap with a candle?

salemfan

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I think they would have to have lot, and lots of copywrite to do that.
Why would they have to use a lot of copyright to do that?

Which logo has a more obvious connection, by the way-a bear carrying a candle, or Lumiere?

Beakerfan

Reaction score
They would have to have a copyright for it because Lumiere belongs to the Disney company. They would probably get sued or something like that.

salemfan

Reaction score
Do you think the people at Candlewick Press even know who Lumiere is?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I suspect the company has been around longer than the movie, and it wouldn't make sense for them to use him as their logo unless they were affiliated with Disney. Plus I would imagine the bear and candle had some particular significance, even if the person you contacted didn't know what it was.
Erin

salemfan

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Plus I would imagine the bear and candle had some particular significance, even if the person you contacted didn't know what it was.
Erin
What do you mean, the bear and candle had some particular significance?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, there Must be some reason why they chose it.

They didn't just sit around then think, "I know! A candle and a bear!"

luvtosr

Reaction score
Well, I have the Walker Book of Poetry for Children and The Walker Book of Bedtime Stories so I'm thinking that the bear and candle represent bedtime for kids. Lots of kids take teddies to bed and a candle is somehow more appealing than having the bear turning on a light switch. It's just a nice little image to accompany the ritual of bed time stories.

And as for the company being older than the film, I can't say for certain about Candlewick, but my Walker book of Poetry is from 1984 or there abouts.

salemfan

Reaction score
Candlewick Press opened in 1991, and Beauty and the Beast is from 1991 also. However, Walker Books started in 1978 in England.