Put me on a milk carton because i'm lost?

renegade

Reaction score
After watching the playsoup video a couple times, I’m kinda lost on the high low part and where to draw seems

Can someone fill me in ? should the seem just be drawn from high point to high point ? and the same with the low?

Does the High just mean the upper top of the sculpt ? or should it be treated like topography map ?

He also just glances over the type of seems but doesn’t explain why one is better then the other it just says both are fine ?

Do I just draw the seems on how ever I feel like cutting it apart?

thanks gang for helping me find my way!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm even lost more than you are. What do you mean drawing seems? And what is the playsoup video? It might help folks answer your questions better.

renegade

Reaction score
sorry about that I guess these question are only for people that have seen the video . here is the playsoup video
I do recommend it but just need a hand getting tru it.
When I say drawing seems that just what i mean , marking the seems on the foam sculpt before cutting

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Oh, you meant a "Seam!" I see. Well, I haven't seen this video, but I'm interested. Are there any reviews of the video folks here at MC can share with me?

renegade

Reaction score
Sorry about the spelling Fozzie , I went to school just to eat my lunch!

Phantom

Reaction score
He's looking for contours that gives the sculpts its characteristics (the highs and lows). So you can think of it topographically.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
The "highs and lows" viewpoint is a very technical/mathematical way to look at it in my opinion. If you just think about the flat foam having to make the curves of the head, you'll know where to put the seams. Use the Force, renegade. :smile:

The truth of the matter is the more seams you draw in, the closer (and smoother) the final patterned head will be to your original shape. Any way you slice it up will result in the head shape - as long as you have enough seams. (You can't draw one seam in and expect it to work.) The trick is creating just enough seams necessary for the shape (which goes along with putting the seams in the right places).

My advice is just study the shape and think about it being formed from sheet foam. You'll know what to do.

BorkBork

Reaction score
Gaaah! REading this makes me even more eager to view the video :smile:
I hope to get the video in the mail soon...but shipping to sweden probably takes 2 weeks or more :grouchy: :frown: