Preserving plush toys

CherryPizza

Reaction score
I just recieved a 1965 Ideal Rowlf that I bought on eBay.

One look at him when the box was opened, and it was clear that he is more fragile than any photos will indicate.

Naturally, I want him displayed in my collection, but I also want to protect him from the elements. So, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for how to cover and protect a plush toy from dust, mould (both of these are issues in the block of flats where I live), etc. yet still have it attractive enough to sit on display?

Incidentally, today I also received a Roosevelt Franklin puppet made by Child Guidance in the 70s. On any other day, this would be a grand event in my Muppet collecting life, but compared to Rowlf... :smile:

muppetperson

Reaction score
Just popped in to give you some tips.keep Rowlf in a glass display case and as hard as it may seem, try not to handle him too much.Handling speeds up the damaging process with moving him and also the acid from our hands also does damage, which is why you sometimes see historical items being handled with white gloves.keep the display case away from windows and direct light.Try putting silica(the small pellet like cloth bags that is usally found in shoe box packaging or Vitamin suppliments) inside the display case(maybe hide them in a open container behind Rowlf) as these absorb moister to prevent mold.

CherryPizza

Reaction score

Glass display cases are out of my budget and my space allowance, but I think I'll shop around for some kind of transparent plastic container that may house him.