Pokémon The Movie 14 ..... Wait, WHAT ?

HamHock

Reaction score
:flirt::flirt:My brother recently informed me that Pokémon are making another movie. And it got me wondering...... should they ?

Don't get me wrong, I love,love, love Pokémon but IMO, the show should have ended when it was losing its touch....... about 11 years ago.

I mean the games are still good but the show got confusing with the changing characters, the episode stories and getting about oh, 2 dozen more wonders walking about the world.

The episode stories started to consist of one-time characters appearing for a battle with the characters and thats it.It should have ended when Ash, Brock and Misty were departing in different roads towards the sunset.

And did Misty ever get her bike ?

Does anyone else feel like this about the show ?

Thanks,

HamHock

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I stopped watching Pokemon around the Orange Islands season. They should have ended it years ago, I agree, but I guess as long as new Pokemon games come out and sell well they will keep pushing it.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
this is something me and a friend have talked about recently and we realized that while Pokemon for us ended 10 years ago when they were only 150 it actually still has a giant fanbase with kids of that age and older fans.

its kind of funny cause like what mentioned the people who grew up on it are like "God please let it end"

yet i walk into my moms class room to help with puppets and read for the day and they are all oh "Charmander who is that he is old i dont like him give me Chimchar"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, this is where your friendly neighborhood international cartoons sort of expert comes in handy...

A series like Pokemon which lasts for decades or so will ALWAYS amount a large number of movies. Doraemon has a whopping 30! Of course, Doraemon's a staple that's been around since the late 60's and has been on Japanese TV since 1979 with a disastrous 1973 series that lasted 6 months. In fact a lot of popular anime get several films...One Piece has just released movie number 10. Some only get one or two movie. It took a 1970's series Yatterman to FINALLY get a theatrical anime movie until it's 2008 revival to get a movie... oddly enough, premiering months after a live action remake movie. Some movies can be as short as 5 minutes, some are even around the 20-45 minute range, and shown as double or triple bills with other short films.

In the US this practice is exceedingly, and disappointingly rare. Some of these films signify (or cause) the drop in popularity of the characters... the Powerpuff Girls for example. Nickelodeon had successful runs with The Rugrats (giving them a whopping and unheard of in this country 3 theatrical movies) and Spongebob. And South Park and Beavis and Butthead had profitable theatrical release. Others aren't quite as lucky. I wish I saw Batman Mask of the Phantasm in theaters during its short run.

To give you a hint, if we had the same system of animated movies based on TV shows that Japan has... well, it wouldn't have took us almost 20 years for a Simpsons movie... I'll say that. And we'd be on our 15th Simpsons film by now.

As for Pokemon... not a fan! Not at all. But I'm not going into that. I'm shocked that that's still popular, even over there. Especially if you know your obscure earlier animes like I do, you'd see that it's a myriad of old tropes... the team of three bandits that are trying to steal Pikachu? Stolen from the Time Bokan series. I like them, but when you see all the Time Bokan series villains in action, you just can't even laugh at them anymore...

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Dragonball Z had 13 movies in its run as well

and released a 14th recently as an anniversary special( not the live action once)

thats not including the 4 Dragonball movies and the 6 specials that are stories that usually took place before or outside the shows as extra storylines

Drtooth

Reaction score
thats not including the 4 Dragonball movies and the 6 specials that are stories that usually took place before or outside the shows as extra storylines
The sad thing is that there are so few Dragonball movies and so many DBZ movies. I've always been among the many who, while I can enjoy DBZ, find Dragonball more entertaining on every level. And even then, 3 of the movies were alternate retellings of the story (Blood Rubies, Mystical Journey, and the anniversary movie) and one was a stand alone story (Devil's Castle). And Emperor Pilaf (my favorite villain in the series) was delegated only to a non-speaking (or one line, I have to double check) in Mystical Journey. And as I said, one of the films came later as a truncated version of the story up until the end of the Red Ribbon saga.

HOWEVER.... did you know Curse of the Blood Rubies and Mystical Journey were the FIRST Dragon Ball cartoons to hit the US? Harmony Gold had plans to dub and release Dragonball, Dr. Slump and the Tatsunoko series Muteking in the US. While pilot episodes of Dr. Slump and Muteking were made, they were never shown (and appear and subsequently disappear from Youtube), but the Dragon Ball movies were cut down to a Saturday afternoon matinee size and shown in certain parts of the country. Here's the Theme song they used for the "movie." And yes, I saw the Blood Rubies segment... just not the second part, the Mystical Adventure one. Note Goku is named "Zero" for no reason.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i have one of the Dragonball movies i think curse of the blood pearl..got it years ago as a christmas gift..ill have to check see who dubbed it

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, if it really IS Curse of the Blood Rubies, then it would probably be the Blue Water dub. That's the one where a fat monster king is tearing the country side down to get all the rubies and Goku and the rest somehow get involved, right? If so, the theme song probably goes like..."Dragon ball... gotta find that Dragon ball... " or something like that... that would be the Blue Water dub. That version of the show was shown when Saban had a weekday programming block.

I know that because Funimation didn't get the rights to the first movie until this year. Their dub wasn't available until now.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
quick back track to pokemon.. a main reason why pokemon is still mainstream is that everytime a new game comes out Ash and friends move to said region and catch those pokemon....even though i read this time theres a big change coming main character wise

here is a good question..How old is Ash by now?