Please Help Save Live Broadway!!!!!

radionate

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I don't get political very often, but obviously this is a cause I feel very strongly about. Please help save live music on Broadway. Below is a link for the musician's union in NYC. They went on strike yesterday when talks finally shut down. They are basically battling to keep Broadway producers from lowering the required number of live musicians for a show. They are ultimatly afraid of being replaced by a recording altogether. These producers had planned to carry on with the shows using a precorded track, but the local Actor's and Stage Hand unions refused to cross the picketline!!!!!!

There is nothing like seeing a live orchestra play in a theater, and even if you've never seen a show in NYC, please show them that we support their cause!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully show them your support! And thanks for listening to my political stance (I tried to be brief as possible)

Please sign the petition!
http://www.savelivebroadway.com/

Keep Broadway Live!!!!!!
Nate

P.S. Please forward this on to anyone who might be interested!!!!

Joggy

Reaction score
Good thing you posted this, Nate. I'd hate to see the live music on Broadway disappear. The thing about music is that it's so interesting to hear what a human being can take out of a musical instrument instead of an always-too-perfect computer. Which is why I hate nowadays music... too little human influence. Everything's computerized. Ugh. Nobody even knows the thrill of a good clarinet solo anymore.

radionate

Reaction score
Thanks Joggy. And thank you for signing the petition if you did.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
You got a sign from me, Nate-io.

I signed not because I am a musicals fan, but because live musicians at a Broadway show is a deeply rooted aspect of American culture, and to have that expelled would be devastating.

I am a digital child. I like computers and perfect music through synthesized sound and data waves. But I also recognize how vital live musicians are to a stage show (especially Broadway...I mean, if its not live there, where the heck will it be?!).

I sincerely hope the greed of the producers is counteracted by the petition.

-Matt

radionate

Reaction score
Thanks Matt,

A few more details for everyone:

The Union there was willing to reduce the number of required musicians per show by 6, but producers are upset at being told how many musicians must be present in the pit for a show.

A show can be negotiated to have fewer performers though. Cabaret is the only musical still playing on Broadway today, as they operate under a separate contract for the musicians (they are a vital part of the show, and are featured on stage, not in a pit).

I've seen performances with just a synthesizer, and it’s quite honestly tacky. With the arts continually being cut from the budgets of schools nationwide, it’s disheartening to realize that the few people who have followed their passion and have had a drive to be the best at their musical craft can be replaced by a computer recording.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Just signed it.

I am a huge fan of Broadway musicals; and although it does sicken me to know how much money has overwhelmed common sense in NY (Who the **** would pay $50 for a two disc set, when they can get that same cast recording at Tower or amazon.com for $30-$35?), getting rid of live music is going too far. I mean ... you think about great people like John McD, whose job as concert pianist is only overshadowed by his greatest passion ... the live theater.
If music is taken away, I'll be furious.

Money is not everything

SammieRose

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Hey Guys,

I don't get political very often, but obviously this is a cause I feel very strongly about. Please help save live music on Broadway. Below is a link for the musician's union in NYC. They went on strike yesterday when talks finally shut down. They are basically battling to keep Broadway producers from lowering the required number of live musicians for a show. They are ultimatly afraid of being replaced by a recording altogether. These producers had planned to carry on with the shows using a precorded track, but the local Actor's and Stage Hand unions refused to cross the picketline!!!!!!

There is nothing like seeing a live orchestra play in a theater, and even if you've never seen a show in NYC, please show them that we support their cause!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully show them your support! And thanks for listening to my political stance (I tried to be brief as possible)

Please sign the petition!
http://www.savelivebroadway.com/

Keep Broadway Live!!!!!!
Nate

P.S. Please forward this on to anyone who might be interested!!!!
Dude, thank you for posting this. Carolyn sent it to me as well, and I totally signed it. I also sent it to my friend Jeff whom, I swear, is going to be up on one of those stages some day (watch for Jeff Baker or Jeff O'Neil.... he hasn't picked a stage name yet).

I agree. Overatures, when you're listening to them at home on a CD are nothing compared to when you get to the theatre and hear the orchestra strike up......*sigh* it's simply breath taking. I have only seen one musical in NYC (Les Mis), but I would totally go back. I'll fight with you on this one, Nate! :big_grin:

radionate

Reaction score
Thanks so much Sammie and Daniel!

Its not looking too good today, and odds are the lights of the Broadway musicals will be dark into this coming week at least. It breaks my heart in two, and I hope that it comes to an end soon.

Sammie - are you still on your Jerry Orbach kick (excuse the spelling)? I've got the soundtrack to one of his lesser known shows I'll email you if are.

Thanks for everyones support on this too! Please sign the petition if you haven't already!

It's not a matter of money, but keeping computers out of the orchestra pits on Broadway!!!!!! :cry:

radionate

Reaction score
Just another update guys, the Local 802, American Federation of Musicians has posted the following message:

ACT NOW TO KEEP THE MUSIC LIVE! Call the League of American Theatres and Producers at (212) 764-1122 and tell them to keep the music of Broadway LIVE. Tell them you won’t be back to Broadway if they kill the music.

I know its a long distance call for many of you, but if the urge is strong enough, do it.

They 802 held a mock funeral of Broadway in their latest efforts, and most of the stars currently appearing on Broadway have been lending their visibility to this cause as well.

The offices are closed today, but you can leave a voice mail (which I just did). Just imagine all the wonderful messages from around the country that will be waiting for them come Monday morning!!!!!!!!!!

KEEP MUSIC LIVE ON BROADWAY!!!!