Playskool's Sesame Street Line is available now

Drtooth

Reaction score
First off, if some moderator can lock or delete the "Hasbro's Sesame Line at Toy Fair" thread... this is the discussion for the toys hitting the shelves now, where as that one was about development.

But finally, the Fall toy line up is starting to arrive in stores... Hasbro has gotten off to a good start with the Sesame Street license.

First up, Sesame Pals mini-plush They aren't really the greatest plush we've seen, but they aren't bad. Murray's likeness tends to be slightly off, but still... great to see him as a character. Unfortunately, we have to wait for a second wave for Bert. They retail for about 7 bucks... not a great price, but ehhh...

The 123 Sesame Playset and minifigures just popped up, along with the vehicles. The figure sets are about 6 bucks (pretty reasonable, considering the Star Wars and Marvel buddy packs are like 8 or 9 bucks now), and the vehicles are about 10... though, I must mention that The Count is molded into a seat in the bus, and not removable like the others... his head pivots when the doors open.

Sesame Street Silly Swimmers (not pictured)... I saw one of these at TRU. A large bath toy that you wind up the arms, press the top of the figure's head, and it takes off in water. I only saw a Cookie Monster one.

And of course... Sesame Street talking plush with the Target exclusive talking Super Grover...

Nice to see that Big Bird gets a reasonable amount of the merchandise for a change... though it seems a lot of the figures will be in the next wave. Hopefully these will sell solidly so we can get the full collection. Those minifigures are the real stars of this line up.

beaker

Reaction score
Good to see Fisher Price out of the picture, always hated their Sesame crapola.

And yay for Murray plushes and buddy figurines. Too bad we probably will never see action figures again. How come Dora, Bob the builder, and pretty much every kids show has posable action figures but Sesame Street hasnt since the mid 80's?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think these look pretty good. It does irritate me when they separate Bert & Ernie. I don't understand that sort of marketing strategy. Wouldn't both products sell better if pegged next to one another? The SRPs look about right to me, but I'm in San Francisco. Even Target is more expensive in the Bay Area.

I still have higher hopes for Sesame at Hasbro. I really think they could card and sell full-sized minimally articulated figures to fans young and old. It wouldn't have to be Palisades quality. Just something between a PVC and a Star Wars figure, but chunkier.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think these look pretty good. It does irritate me when they separate Bert & Ernie. I don't understand that sort of marketing strategy. Wouldn't both products sell better if pegged next to one another? The SRPs look about right to me, but I'm in San Francisco. Even Target is more expensive in the Bay Area.
I do know that the buddy pack figures of Ernie and Bert ARE in the same package. It just appears to be that plush toy that will come out later. But then again, somehow they market Ernie over Bert... and it's sadly progress to have him slowly appear in mechandising.

Still, I'm a little disappointed Murray is separated from Ovejita, but the fact we're getting Murray at all is amazing.

Of course, if it's in the first wave, first thing I'm getting is the set that comes with Telly. Why a major character that appears in roughly a third of the episodes doesn't get merchandise is beyond me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw the toys (and the playset) in person yesterday, and it felt great seeing them in person (I feel tempted to buy some but haven't). It's great that Telly Monster is in the first wave. And all of the wave 1 characters are classic characters (I'm surprised Abby Cadabby isn't included).

I'm still hoping that sometime down the road they start a sub collection of "old school" Sesame Street figures.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I saw the buddy packs and the plush too! They both look really good! Murray does look slightly off but I'm glad they had him covered considering he usually isn't seen in merchandise.

Also, I agree with Frogboy4, I don't like when Bert and Ernie are packaged seperately either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm still hoping that sometime down the road they start a sub collection of "old school" Sesame Street figures.

Baby steps. I have no doubt that they'll release some fan favorite characters (I still think they need to be packaged with variants of popular characters to really sell), but that's down the line. They've wisely decided to release a small amount of the characters at first, rather than dump the whole line out at once.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've seen everything on the shelves EXCEPT for the Buddy Packs. There are pegs and shelf space for them with the 5.99 tag, but they yet to have them in.

beaker

Reaction score
I really think they could card and sell full-sized minimally articulated figures to fans young and old. It wouldn't have to be Palisades quality. Just something between a PVC and a Star Wars figure, but chunkier.
Totally. Did Sesame Workshop make companies promise to never release articulated figures aimed at kids?

These are (insofar as I know) the only known released SS action figure line:
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Sesame_Street_poseable_figures

Btw, anyone remember Tyco from the late 1990's? It was easy to confuse them with Fisher Price, but they had way cooler Sesame Street toys