Miss Piggy's Last Name

EasyBeinGreen

Reaction score
I was just playing the online version of 1 vs. 100 on NBC.com and one of the questions asked the last name of "Muppet Show character Miss Piggy"

The answer to the question was Lee... can anyone verify this information or recall any point in Henson history where this has been disclosed? I checked the muppet wiki and there wasnt any information there about it... I figured if it would be anywhere it would be there...

Any thoughts?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I think she may have been briefly referred to as Piggy Lee, a spoof on well-known celebrity Peggy Lee's name, on one episode at least.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Well, in the Season One episode with Avery Schriber, she said that her full name was "Pigathis Lee". It isn't usually considered 'canon', but many fans have taken it as it is. Because that is the only time ever, we've had any inkling of what her last name was.

Hope that helped any.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... To clarify what my fellow MC friends have already said...

Miss Piggy's full name is "Pigathias Lee". This was mentioned in the Avery Schrieber TMS episode from Season 1 as Sara (ReneeLouvier) pointed out.

However, it has been explained, as Marty (BillBubbleGuy) pointed above, Miss Piggy was originally built and designed as a parody of the popular singer Miss Peggy Lee.

Peggy Lee's greatest credits that I can think of are the songs "We Are Siamese" as the voices of both Siamese cats in Disney's The Lady and The Tramp, and "He's A Tramp" as the voice of Peg (a female canine character/caricature of her own self).

Hope this helps and have a good day.

EasyBeinGreen

Reaction score
Thanks! I figured it had something to do with Peggy Lee. It's always interesting to learn something new about the Muppets.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
ReneeLouvier said:
Well, in the Season One episode with Avery Schriber, she said that her full name was "Pigathis Lee".
Close. In the Avery Schreiber episode, she says her real name is 'Pigathius' (sp?) It's in the Jim Nabors episode, also in the Talk Spot, that Kermit, offhand and almost under his breath, refers to Piggy as 'Piggy Lee'. Fans have amalgamated the two references to mean that her original full name is 'Pigathius Lee'.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for setting us straight Gorgon Heap.

David French

Reaction score
To further clarify (or confuse) the issue - the Jim Nabors episode is the *only* episode where Miss Piggy is referred to as Piggy Lee. Every other episode she is just either Miss Piggy or plain old Piggy. Same goes for the movies.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
David French said:
To further clarify (or confuse) the issue - the Jim Nabors episode is the *only* episode where Miss Piggy is referred to as Piggy Lee. Every other episode she is just either Miss Piggy or plain old Piggy. Same goes for the movies.
Muppet Wiki lists that:
In The Muppet Show episode 116, Miss Piggy tells guest star Avery Schreiber that her full name is "Pigathius," which is "From the Greek, meaning 'river of passion'."
It also says:
"According to Oz, Miss Piggy's father chased after other sows, and her mother had so many piglets she never found time to develop her mind. 'I'll die before I live like that!' Miss Piggy screamed, and ran away to the city. Life was hard at first. People got all the jobs; pigs had to take what was left. To keep going, Miss Piggy walked a sandwich board for a barbecue stand. Desperate, she took a stage name, Laverne, and entered a beauty contest. She won and got her big break: a bacon commercial. This led to a season as mascot for a local TV sportscast called Pigskin Parade -- and then on to The Muppet Show."

David French

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Muppet Wiki lists that:

In The Muppet Show episode 116, Miss Piggy tells guest star Avery Schreiber that her full name is "Pigathius," which is "From the Greek, meaning 'river of passion'."
Yes, but Miss Piggy was trying to make Kermit jealous in that episode and I get the impression that was part of her scheme and should be taken with a pinch of salt.