Photographing Antron Fleece

shtick

Reaction score
I've always noticed this but I haven't started thinking about it until now. When I photograph a puppet covered in antron fleece using a flash, I get this shiny reflection of the fibers. When I don't use a flash, it has more of a pilly fleece look.

Problem is when I don't use a flash, my pictures come out blurry. Do I need a soft light box or something like that? Anyone know anything about lighting?

Toasty

Reaction score
A soft light will help (large window light as a main source, soft box, or aim the light through a large white sheet or piece of parchment paper). But more importantly is having the light source not reflect directly back to the camera lens (like most on-camera flashes will do). So, bouncing the flash off the ceiling or a white card will also soften it and eliminate most of the (shiny) specular highlights you're seeing.

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
To me, Antron fleece has always looked "metallic" when filmed or photographed in descent light. I generally dont use Antron fleece myself as I achieve much better results with other fleeces.

Using soft filters on a still camera is the way it is done. Flash doesnt matter then because any sparkle is diffused.

If using a camera that cannot take attachments one can use a free program called GIMP to apply filters and effects after the fact just like photoshop.

One has to remember that nothing in a magazine (or commercial pictures on the net) goes untouched. This includes photos of our favorite little material friends.

Peace :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is a photo of an Antron fleece puppet that has been professionally lit - http://www.flickr.com/photos/angrypuppets/51897136/sizes/o/ and it doesn't look shiny or metallic. Soft filters could definitely help, but I think the real trick is diffused lighting as Toasty suggested.
It says I have to create a completely new account, different from my current Yahoo! one just to view the photo. :smirk:

For the record, I'm not fond of using flash in general, as sometimes I find that it distorts certain aspects of the photo (like making things appear TOO light in contrast), and you also get those uncanny shadows in the background.

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
Using soft filters on a still camera is the way it is done. Flash doesnt matter then because any sparkle is diffused.
Diffused . . . . Pretty sure thats what I said . . . . .

Lighting source is often not enough. I think that most people will find that when something is photographed professionally the professional in question will probably be using filters on an expensive camera (in conjunction with appropriate lighting techniques).

Im am only saying this out of experience. I realize that im new to this forum but I am by no means "new". I constantly do stills and film for my puppets as I am in the process of making a movie (which will be available to all for free in a year or so).

Not much point posting pics that no one can view though . . . .

If one wanted to host a photo for free I would suggest IMAGE SHACK

Toasty

Reaction score
Diffused . . . . Pretty sure thats what I said . . . . .

Lighting source is often not enough. I think that most people will find that when something is photographed professionally the professional in question will probably be using filters on an expensive camera (in conjunction with appropriate lighting techniques).

If the antron (or any material) is lit properly, filters are unnecessary (and will not correct this type lighting issue). The sheen of antron that the OP is seeing is caused from the on-camera flash (a narrow angle light source) hitting the surface of the material and bouncing directly back into the lens of the camera. Changing the angle of the light will prevent the majority of this undesired result from occurring. Also, using a broader light source with diffusion (on the light source) on the main light will eliminate specular sheen.

A diffusing filter on the lens will simply soften the specular highlights reflecting off the sheen of the antron and back to the camera, caused by the direct flash in this case. This will not magically render the fleece accurately. Colors will still look washed out.

Hope this helps explain things a bit more.

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
Hope this helps explain things a bit more.
Yes. It explains to me that after 20 years of photography and film that other people will always google something and assume they know everything.

Correct lighting is of course required. BUT as I said NO COMMERCIAL PHOTO GOES UNTOUCHED. No professional photographer works with inferior or complete lack of equipment. Talk to a photographer and ask him what lenses and filters he / she uses in any given situation.

I only mentioned what has proven to work for me from EXPERIENCE.

I could present any number of technical problems from a videographer / photographers point of view with the information you presented . . . . but there is little point.

What if the photographer required the use of the flash for a still in a particular situation? and had no other light source to redirect or diffuse? Would there be no other way to diffuse the light? (this is only one SMALL example) What if one wanted particular shadows? what if one wanted to highlight particular features? what if one wanted to highlight certain colors? what if one wanted to do this from a forward light source?

One is fairly sure he paid good money for a high quality diffuser that he has used in that exact situation many times.

In stills and video there will always be a need for many kinds of light / angles / highlighting / etc etc . . . thousands upon thousands actually. It takes many years for a videographer / photographer to learn them and he / she will never learn them all.

One only tried to help. Perhaps others will see and understand the information presented.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I always turn off the flash and use a tripod. When the picture is taken, make sure you hold the puppet as still as possible.

The other thing besides the shiny Antron that really gets me about most puppet photography is the amount of bad poses that end up being taken. One thing that a puppeteer should get a feel for is the range of poses that work in relation to a camera... especially if you;re performing in public ("Can I get a picture of your puppet with my son).

Just like in performing, a puppet's sightline can make or break a picture.

Toasty

Reaction score
Yes. It explains to me that after 20 years of photography and film that other people will always google something and assume they know everything.

I've always found that it is best to not assume the professional experience level of others, especially based on a few brief interactions on a helpful web forum such as this.

That said, I hope the original poster has a better handle on their own specific photographic task now.