Phobias

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ok, didn't know where this thread should go so if one of the mods feels like moving it, feel free.

So I was driving home from work yesterday and listening to my favorite afternoon radio show. They have a segment at 5:00 called "Anyone listening who" and they pick topics and ask viewers to call in. Yesterday's was "anyone listening who has a strange phobia" They wanted people to call in with unusual things they were afraid of.

This woman calls in and said she's afraid of the Muppets! She said she couldn't watch Sesame Street as a kid and that even as an adult her boyfriend pops in the Muppet Movie and she breaks out into a sweat and has a panic attack! The DJ asked if any particular Muppet freaked her out more and she says "Beaker, he doesn't have eyes." To which I'm like "I think you mean Bunsen!" (Yes I did shout this outloud in my car as if she could hear me) Anyway I just thought that was hilarious that someone was afraid of the Muppets.

Do any of you have weird phobias?

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I am absolutely terrified of sharp objects coming near my right arm.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
I have a paranoid fear of food going bad. That is I will look at the food out of the fridge very carefully before I eat it.

I have more often than not bought stuff from the store that has gone bad immediately, if not sooner. My husband says that I have eyes like a hawk when it comes to inspecting the food we put into our bodies.

I guess hearing about how my husband's brother got food poisoning about 20 years ago did it for me. So, I'm sort of paranoid about that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have such a complex with (Grand) Daddy Longleg Spiders.

Nobody believes me when I try to tell them, but when I was about four-years-old or so, I saw my first one in the garage, and I SWEAR THAT THING WAS HUGE! It's body was about the size of a small baseball, and it's leg-span spread out was large than a hula hoop! I WAS FREAKED OUT! To this day, I STILL can't even get near one of those things without having an anxiety attack.

As for official phobias, I have mild claustrophobia.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Snowth, you were four. Everything's huge when you're four lol.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I'm not fond of humanoid dolls over Barbie-size, I have a thing about being burned by irons or the stove, I used to have arachnaphobia (but I killed all the spiders once and the resulting cricket explosion cured me of that), as out of shape as I am I will run very fast when chased by bees (it doesn't even have to be a bee ... I get tense by even buzzing sounds near my ears), and I have very mild claustrophobia ... and a fear of heights. I think that covers everything ... LOL.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But I mean, I am NOT exaggerating, nor stretching the truth or ANYTHING! That thing just about took up the entire wall it was standing on!

But you do have a point though; I remember when before our local movie theater brought in stadium seating, one of those theaters seemed as big as all out doors, lol.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm also afraid of heights, although flying is no trouble (lucky that, my husband's a private pilot).

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I don't have a fear of hights, just falling from them. I have a fear of falling down (last time that happend, I broke my leg). :wink:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I have a fear of spiders/daddy long legs. Although daddy long legs scare me worse than spiders. I'm ok as long as there is something between me and the spider, like glass, but if I am someplace where the possiblity the spider can get near me or even touch me, I get freaked out

I am not good with large crowds. Expecially when everyone is packed together.

I also have a phobia over my window and/or curtains being open at night. I dunno, but as soon as it gets dark I NEED to close my windows and curtains before I can sleep or even be relaxed. I cant sleep if they are open.

and those singing plastic christmas trees give me a complex :embarrassed: I am terrified of those things beyond belief