PG or G?

Marky

Reaction score
You know, sometimes I like to read what the armchair critics wirte up on amazon. I can't believe what some people write about films sometimes. What does echo time after time with these 'customer editorials' is the writer's own righteousness - whether it comes from a left-slant or a right-slant. The discussion about the piece itself gets completely lost when a 'reviewer' on ad nauseum about a movie's 'offensive' content.

"I can't believe the Muppets would ..." "How could they expect parents to deal with ...". Well, Dippy Yuppies and Bible-Thumpers alike, here's an idea - check the rating first. For the bulk of the Muppets, the films and DVDs are rated g. Two are rated PG - The Great Muppet Caper and It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. The lattereven screams it out in the traditional blue n' white for all to see "Rated PG for mild adult themes'. If your so jittery, please let this be warning enough to press eject, douse your home theatre with holy water and have an "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" dvd burning rally in the town square.

Now, as far as I know, the Wizard of Oz one does have a G rating, albeit the presence of witched and the evil word 'ni$$les' is used once. You've been warned.

P

Philip Kippel

Actually, The Muppets Wizard of Oz does have a PG rating. Well, at least it given at TV-PG rating on TV...and that rating is still indicated on the box of the DVD.

The Great Muppet Caper is actually rated G. It only got a PG rating in Canada...because of Janice's use of the word "h*ll" during the Happiness Hotel song.

Marky

Reaction score
Philip Kippel said:
Actually, The Muppets Wizard of Oz does have a PG rating. Well, at least it given at TV-PG rating on TV...and that rating is still indicated on the box of the DVD.

The Great Muppet Caper is actually rated G. It only got a PG rating in Canada...because of Janice's use of the word "h*ll" during the Happiness Hotel song.
Well there you go. That should clear up the Oz issue. I don't own a copy of it to have checked myself.

Is that really why Canada rated TGMC PG? That's odd. Usually Canada has a more liberal rating system. Things often get rated PG here where they get a 'PG-13' rating in the US (ie. Star Wars Ep III, LOtR, etc.). Hmm, that might be too much of a generalization...

Not to turn this thread into a Canada vs US ratings, but I've noticed this... In Canada, we're more lenient with sex and language. We'll show nudity and 4-letter words on network TV after 9pm, and after 11pm, it's pretty much a free-for-all (especially on the french channels). But we draw the line at gun use and graphic violence. The U.S. will show killings, killing and more killings - but raise a stink at anything risqué (Superbowl 2005, anyone? LOL!).

Sometimes it's funny watching movies on American TV - the stuff they cut out, or when they dub in softer language.

However, in all seriousness, I do think parents should fell confident that something is okay for their own children to watch - but its up to them to make that call themselves IMO.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Revolutionary concept

Marky said:
However, in all seriousness, I do think parents should fell confident that something is okay for their own children to watch - but its up to them to make that call themselves IMO.
Oh my gosh--you think parents should, like, KNOW what their children are watching? What a revolutionary concept! Talking with some other moms lately, I mentioned that my kids had TVs in their rooms. One mother appeared surprised (and maybe a little self-righteous) until I explained that we don't get any movie channels (or any of those other channels) in our home, so I don't have to worry about overt violence, language and simulated sexual activity (except what they keep trying to sneak into network tv, which we pretty much don't watch). Plus, I KNOW what my kids watch 'cause I watch with them.

Marky

Reaction score
Ruahnna said:
Oh my gosh--you think parents should, like, KNOW what their children are watching? What a revolutionary concept! Talking with some other moms lately, I mentioned that my kids had TVs in their rooms. One mother appeared surprised (and maybe a little self-righteous) until I explained that we don't get any movie channels (or any of those other channels) in our home, so I don't have to worry about overt violence, language and simulated sexual activity (except what they keep trying to sneak into network tv, which we pretty much don't watch). Plus, I KNOW what my kids watch 'cause I watch with them.
I think that's great, Rhu. A TV shouldn't be an anti-social veg device. We watch it together at home. We're not even glued, we chat during it, etc. That's the whole point. I've always believed that it's healthy to teach kids how to watch TV objectionall, too - especially ads.

"Commercials are made to sell stuff. They can really make food look yummier than it is, or toys look cooler than they are to make you want to buy them."

- Kids are pretty sharp sometimes :cool:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Parents are too quick to jump on tv shows and say "My child is getting bad ideas from the show" or some other kind of complaint. Being a kid myself, I know how moms are. I wasnt alowed to whatch certain shows when I was younger.

But its like this. Parents dont keep an eye on what their kids whatch and they wonder why and blame the show. I mean, I knew a 8 year old (who had a mentality of a 6 year old) alowed to whatch R rated movies and her mom wondered where she got some of these pretty mental thoughts, such as bad language and some pretty violent actions.

Marky

Reaction score
Sgt Floyd said:
Parents are too quick to jump on tv shows and say "My child is getting bad ideas from the show" or some other kind of complaint. Being a kid myself, I know how moms are. I wasnt alowed to whatch certain shows when I was younger.

But its like this. Parents dont keep an eye on what their kids whatch and they wonder why and blame the show. I mean, I knew a 8 year old (who had a mentality of a 6 year old) alowed to whatch R rated movies and her mom wondered where she got some of these pretty mental thoughts, such as bad language and some pretty violent actions.

Ulimately, no matter what, I believe that parents are completely respopnsible for the actions of their children. Period!:wink:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Sgt Floyd said:
When I was a kid, living in the wasteland of two television stations, 3 if you got cable (as opposed to the wasteland of 300+ that we have now), my mother did not allow us to watch soap operas. Even though my mom was a school teacher, we beat her home from school by a good 30-45 minutes, and once I turned on the television and proceeded to watch the last part of a soap opera. Oh my--this was heady stuff! About three days into this, I turned on the television and--oh my goodness, oh my goodness--there was a man standing there in his UNDERWEAR. I was horrified! No WONDER my mother didn't let us watch this! I turned the television off and never did it again. Hadn't thought of this in years! LMFO! (And no--my kids are not allowed to watch soap operas OR reality shows. And neither am I.)

Marky

Reaction score
Ruahnna said:
When I was a kid, living in the wasteland of two television stations, 3 if you got cable (as opposed to the wasteland of 300+ that we have now), my mother did not allow us to watch soap operas. Even though my mom was a school teacher, we beat her home from school by a good 30-45 minutes, and once I turned on the television and proceeded to watch the last part of a soap opera. Oh my--this was heady stuff! About three days into this, I turned on the television and--oh my goodness, oh my goodness--there was a man standing there in his UNDERWEAR. I was horrified! No WONDER my mother didn't let us watch this! I turned the television off and never did it again. Hadn't thought of this in years! LMFO! (And no--my kids are not allowed to watch soap operas OR reality shows. And neither am I.)
Yes, it is true.

Soap Operas are the Devil Himself.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Marky said:
Ulimately, no matter what, I believe that parents are completely respopnsible for the actions of their children. Period!:wink:
This kid cut the limbs off her polly pockets! You think she got that from her parents??? Not to be rude or anything