Other muppet fabrics?

shtick

Reaction score
Are there any there fabrics used by the Henson workshop for characters' other than fleece and fur? What are the whatnots covered in?

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
I dont know what other fabrics that Henson Co. used but just about any fabric can be used.

I have used a combination of Faux Leather (fake alligator) and fleece to make a rather convincing gecko and many other fabrics to gain a desired effect.

The way to approach it is to have a look at unique fabrics out there and see how it inspires you. There might be a particular fabric that strikes you as suitable for fairy skin or wings (the translucent stuff) or some kind of crepe material that might give you the impression of elderly skin / flaky skin / bad skin / swamp monster skin / etc etc etc.

Basically your imagination is the only thing that can limit you in this so I would suggest taking a walk around your favorite fabric store and just seeing what sparks your imagination.

Some of my best puppets have been made from rather random materials and not always what I expected to use and sometimes sourced from shops or places that I least expect.

Peace :smile:

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Also don't necessarily rule out graphically patterned fabrics. I found some fur-like fabric that had mooses (meese?) and pine trees on it, but with some creative cutting, I used it for ears on a dog puppet I made, and the designs just became mottled light and dark areas resembling fur markings.

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
I was not going to say this because it is a secret I have kept for a long time.

Making a puppet can be pretty expensive, especially when making a fully fur or mostly fur puppet. However there is a way to make it a lot cheaper . . . .

I quite often go into second hand clothing "brik-a-brak" or "Op Shop" style shops and see what fur jackets, old materials and fleece sweaters / jumpers as well as any other unique material that may be on a garment.

These garments are quite often very cheap and I have gotten some great furs, leathers, fleeces and textured materials for great prices. Sure I supplement these material supplies with retail materials from bolts but there is a lot of great fabrics out there to be gotten cheaply from places like that.

I can usually buy a nice colored fur jacket for around $2 to $10 AUD rather than $30 to $100 AUD per meter / yard from retail material stores.

Peace :smile:

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
Antron, Polar, Sapphire, Kingston etc etc, there are many varieties of fleece with different pile heights and anti-piling properties.

Then there are felts which were also used. Part wool and full wool felts. They are normally a little more expensive though. To me, some of those pics looked like they were felt (and perhaps a puppet or two out of foam).

Peace :smile:.