"Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas" to air Friday November 25 on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So, here's some info on the new SS Christmas special:

SESAME STREET has been educating and entertaining kids, helping them grow smarter, stronger and kinder, for more than four decades. Now, just in time for the holiday season, the fun-filled extended special ONCE UPON A SESAME CHRISTMAS debuts FRIDAY, NOV. 25 (7:00–8:00 p.m. ET/PT), while the new season of SESAME STREET launches SATURDAY, JAN. 7 (9:00–9:30 a.m. ET/PT), on HBO.

ONCE UPON A SESAME CHRISTMAS opens with the lyrical number “Holiday Lights,” a musical glimpse into the homes of Sesame Street families celebrating winter holidays, and unfolds into a fanciful bedtime story that brings the past alive. After a day of holiday fun, while being tucked into bed on Christmas Eve, Elmo asks, “Why do we leave cookies out for Santa?”

As his father spins a tale about a dreary Sesame Street of yesteryear, a place so unfriendly not even Santa Claus would visit, viewers are transported to a period-perfect 19th-century city neighborhood, with characters in authentic hand-sewn costumes, but marked by unkindness and a serious lack of holiday spirit. Luckily, Elmo’s great-great-great-grandmonster moves into the neighborhood with the best of intentions and endless good will, gradually winning over the unhappy citizens and bringing kindness and cheer to Sesame Street once and for all.

In addition to familiar Sesame Street denizens — Elmo, Grover, Big Bird, Bert, Ernie, Oscar the Grouch, Cookie Monster and The Count — ONCE UPON A SESAME CHRISTMAS features special guest appearances by Zosia Mamet (HBO’s “Girls”); six-time Tony Award winner Audra McDonald (HBO’s “Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar and Grill”); and Jim Gaffigan (“The Jim Gaffigan Show”).

HBO Family playdates: Nov. 26 (6:00 p.m.) and 28 (8:00 a.m.), and Dec. 2 (8:00 a.m.)

ONCE UPON A SESAME CHRISTMAS will also be available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and affiliate portals. Nonsubscribers will be able to sample the special for free during a two-week window, Dec. 12–26, via participating affiliates.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Somehow, the mention the addition of guests from other HBO shows seems almost glaring, lol.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
It actually sounds like a pretty interesting plot and it goes perfectly with the show's current "kindness curriculum". I hope this is executed well. I'm really glad they're using a bunch of characters for this thing, including ones that haven't gotten much to do this year. The Two-Headed Monster is supposed to be in the special, i'm very interested to see who's going to play Joey's half of the character.
I'm a great fan of Jim Gaffigan, so i'm interested to see his take on Santa, and Audra McDonald is always a delight whenever she's on the show.
And, while I know this special is about Elmo, I really hope the other characters don't take too much of a backseat to the little red guy.

But i'm really glad the show is finally doing another holiday special, and it gives me hope that maybe, we'll finally get another anniversary special in three years for the 50th.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
But i'm really glad the show is finally doing another holiday special, and it gives me hope that maybe, we'll finally get another anniversary special in three years for the 50th.
I wouldn't doubt we'd see a 50th anniversary special at this rate.

One thing I would love to see is a large, international crossover special, similar to the New Year's one. But actually put all the characters in the same space. That'd be very awesome.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
One thing I would love to see is a large, international crossover special, similar to the New Year's one. But actually put all the characters in the same space. That'd be very awesome.
I'd love to see that. Or just having some of the international characters occasionally make guest appearances on the show would be nice. It would be a great way for kids to see a variety of different cultures, while making the hardcore fans happy at the same time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sure, it's been done in other countries for their special occasions, it'd be nice if we saw it happen closer to home for such a big milestone like this. I mean I've said it before, but Season 40 was hyped up . . . and if 40 had that much hype surrounding, just imagine what a monster (no pun intended) blow-out Season 50 would be.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
And in case Phil is reading, yes, I will send you some MP3s for the Radio when this airs.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow... A Dickensian styled Sesame Street? That, plus the opening musical number has me sold. Any news if this'll air on PBS this Christmas season as well? :search:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Great to see a new Christmas special being planned. I hope the celebrities don't take up too much of the focus and basically hijack the show like that awful and forgettable 1978 special (the one that aired on CBS, of course). And I would love for the writers to use Elmo as a character rather than a mascot, like in Elmo Saves Christmas.

Schfifty

Reaction score
I'd kinda like that, too. We really ought to get an episode/special where an international character would visit the American Sesame Street, like the one when Abelardo appeared in season 28. I think seeing Lola or Pancho from Plaza Sesamo on the street would be really cool, especially if they had a part with Rosita.

Also gonna echo the Count...is it known if the Christmas special will air on PBS as well? I don't use HBO, and the new Christmas special seems interesting that I might tune into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.